300 HAM'R

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JTJ, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my 6.8 SPC II. Wilson Combat's stuff is way over priced for what you get,I bet they don't have $1k in building that rifle,so what are you getting for the other $2k on the price tag?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was suggesting the cartridge not the rifle. A rifle could be put together well under $1k.

3. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

If I was choosing between the 6.5 Grendel and the 300 Ham'r, I don't think there's enough advantage with the 300 Ham'r for me to pick it. 6.5 Grendel has cheap steel ammo as an option, longer/sleeker bullets, already established (.30 Remington AR tanked), and looks to be fine (on paper at least) to normal hunting distances.

4. JTJ

austin92, MisterMcCool and Shopfox like this.
  5. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

buying new calibers is like buying first year Ford technology: you pay for the privilege of being a guinea pig.
    350 legend looks good to me, but I will wait until I see it in my local Wally World before I invest.

6. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Will Wally World even sell it since it can be loaded in the "evil" AR platform? They don't sell 5.56 or 7.62x39 or anything they consider to be "assault rifle" ammo any longer. Academy Sports and Bass Pro will have it. Plus plenty of online suppliers. I just got a 350 Legend about 2 months ago and have purchased both Federal 180 grain and Federal 160 grain (Fusion) rounds online and had them shipped right to my door. I wouldn't use Wally World as a barometer on any caliber that they may consider to be "assault rifle" ammo.

Shopfox likes this.
  7. microadventure

put a ruler on a map of New Mexico. one end on Albuquerque, the other end on Las Cruces. right in the middle is where I live. in between is a whole lot of nowhere to shop and nothing to buy. before Wally World showed up in 2005 you had to drive 45 miles to buy mens underwear.

Wally World is what we got.

JTJ likes this.
  8. Double20

Double20 Active Member

Fair enough. But you obviously have a computer and internet access as you are posting here. I assume you have a physical address where items can be shipped to you. That's all you need (well, and a method to pay) to get any ammo delivered to your front door that Wally World doesn't carry. No driving required and no wasted time and gas to find out that they are sold out or don't carry a certain caliber. Just saying that waiting for a certain ammo to show up at Wally World as a means to determine if it is a popular caliber or not isn't a reliable method with the current self imposed ban they have on "assault weapons" ammo.

Shopfox likes this.
  9. Shopfox

6mm ARC is a bridge to nowhere. Below are it's "benefits" per Hornady: Screenshot_20200605-132813_Chrome.jpg

So vs. the .224, you have better selection for hunting? If you're hunting deer with an AR, pretty much any caliber is capable of killing deer with the right bullet selection at "normal" hunting ranges.

A bigger target splash? Sounds like a great reason to drop $1,000 to invest in a new upper, scope, and reloading gear. /s

Maybe it'll take some market share from .224 Valkyrie, but that's not saying much for viability - I don't think PSA even makes Valkyrie uppers anymore.

10. microadventure

double 20, you argue purely for the sake of argument. people like you disrupt everything and contribute nothing. one more for the ignore list

11. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with Shopfox and favor the Grendel over the Ham’r. The Grendel is superior for distance because of better BC of bullets. The ham’r does what the 300 blackout never could, but I doubt it will be enough to really catch hold.

12. Double20

Double20 Active Member

I'm sorry you feel that way. In my limited experience (only shot it a handful of times during one outing so far) with my new 350 legend I think it is a great round for hunting deer sized game at short to medium distances (which is what I intend to do with it). I would just hate for you to not give it a chance based on whether Wally World carries the ammo for it or not when other options to obtain the ammo exist. That is all I was trying to convey. Stick to common calibers you can find at Wally World for all I care. Sorry I tried to suggest something different. At that rate you will be shooting .30-06, .270, .243, .308, and .30-30 all your life which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess.

JTJ likes this.
  13. Shopfox

Honestly, unless you're in a straight wall cartridge deer state, I'd pick the Grendel or 6.8 SPC

JTJ likes this.
  14. Double20

Double20 Active Member

I also have the 6.8 SPC and it is a better round than the 350 Legend. I do go back to the state where my family resides to hunt deer and it is a straight wall state thus why I got the 350 Legend. Otherwise I would just stick with the 6.8 SPC as you suggested. And if I am hunting in my home state and run out of 6.8 SPC ammo, I do have an AR-10 in .308 so I can just run down to Wally World and get ammo for it if need be.;)

JTJ and Shopfox like this.
  15. Shopfox

I live in a straight wall state, but use my 6.8 SPC and AR-10 for crop-damage deer permits. My hunting rifle is/was a 444 Marlin and a 44 Magnum. I'm still breaking in my 350 Legend upper.

I honestly think the 350 Legend could replace the 6.8, AR-10, 44 mag, and 444 for me.

I still have a 308 bolt gun to use in beanfields, if need be. Recoil is mild like the 44. Range is similar to the 444, and effective range for deer is similar (less but still acceptable) vs. the 6.8. Weight is much less than the AR-10 too.

JTJ and Double20 like this.
  16. Double20

Double20 Active Member

That's the original reason I got my 6.8 was to have a legitimate deer round in an AR platform that was lighter than my AR-10. I used my Henry .44 Magnum last time I hunted in the straight wall state and lucked out that we had good weather. My idea for the Legend in AR was to have a "bad" weather gun to use there and not expose the nice looking Henry to rain/sleet/snow. I may use it here in the woods where shots are usually 100 yards or less although not restricted to straight wall cartridges.

17. JTJ

Micro, it sounds like you are in Elephant Butte or Truth or Consequences. I think it was the last stop for the produce trucks and they got what was left because nobody else wanted it.

18. Shopfox

For some of my hunts in nasty weather/low visibility and short ranges last year, I've reverted back to my shotgun.

I usually keep a few hunting implements in my vehicle, and break my day into 3 "hunts". A morning sit, midday stalk, and an evening sit. I grab a hunt appropriate implement based on terrain (brush vs. open), weather/visibility, and gun weight (walking vs sitting).

My main concern with the AR is the platform weight. The single shots are pretty sweet for covering a lot of terrain.

JTJ likes this.
  19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Shopfox,

I also have a Rock River Arms 458 SOCOM. I called it my Hammer until another company started calling their gun the Hammer. It is a great gun and very accurate at 1 MOA at 100 off the Bench. We have killed two Buffalos with it. (Bison)! 300 Gr. Barnes Bullets, one shot one kill! But I simply love my Sabre Defense 18" Comp/Varmint 6.5 Grendel. It has killed everything I wanted to kill with it with one shot. Here and in Texas from Deer, Pigs, Coyotes, Bobcats and other critter including Prairie Dogs at 400+ yards with no problem. It is flat shooting the ballistics on the round is fantastic. And it is easy to load for.
    I started out with Lapua Brass when it first came out. But Hornady also makes excellent brass for it now. Or I have been advised that one can fire form or whatever must be done, with 7.62X39 Brass and it works. Just depends on what a person wants. JTJ, That 300 is a good looking gun. I am Shooting Hornady 95 gr. V-Max and 123 gr. SSTs. in my 6.5. I can also mount a bright Red Lensed Light on the Picitinny Rail on top of the Scope or my NV or Thermal in front of the Scope on the quad rail for night hunting in Texas. Can't hunt for the critters at night in Tennessee.:( My Grendel is by far my favorite go to rifle! Even for home and defense around home. They might run but they can't HIDE!;)
    6.5 Grendel 1.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    JTJ and Shopfox like this.