.300 H & H -- yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by txpossum, May 27, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

At my local gun store there is a Remington 700 Classic in .300 Holland and Holland that I've had my eye on for a while. I think they want a little too much for it, but still, everytime I go in there, I check to make sure it hasn't been sold.

I've never owned, or even fired a .300 H&H. And, yes I know it's an outdated cartridge, expensive and hard to find ammo far, and it's performance has been exceeded by now much more common calibers like the .300 Winchester Magnum.

But I'm sorta drawn to the old classics, and at one time the .300 H&H was a major player, and I still sort of think of it as a rifleman's caliber (not that I consider myself a rifleman).

Currently the most high-powered rifle I own is a 30-06, which, if I were honest, is enough gun for anything I'm likely to need to shoot. But I've been thinking about getting something with a little more ooomph just to have it. The .300 H&H looks to be an intermediate step between the ought-six and the .300 Winchester Magnum.

Anyone with strong postive or negative feelings about this vintage caliber?

Oh, and they want about $800 for the Remington 700. Decent price?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally, i don't think we have to have a need so much as want for something! i think you ought to go ahead and get it IMO. you know you want it.

if it's in really good shape, $800 is probably reasonable. does it have a scope?

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

No scope. Doesn't look like it's ever had one.

4. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Buy it,but a 300 H&H with a scope mounted probably will give one a nasty gash,over ones eye brow..

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

With hand loads, it will equal or exceed the .300 WinMag.

Cases are easily made by necking down .375 H&H which are readily available.

They are easily rechambered to .300 Weatherby, if you so desire, but I'd leave it stock. A great old classic cartridge.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a .375 instead.

7. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I feel ya on wanting something with a little more oomph just because. I've been wanting a .375 H&H just for sh!ts and giggles for awhile now. Just for the power and knowing nothing can really stop it. I'd get it!

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They are all built on the belted H&H magnum case, just a different bullet.............

9. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

This thread should have been titled "Look what I brought home!".....with pics of course. It is an efficient cartridge that should still be offered by manufacturers IMO. I think Ruger is the only one still offering it in their No.1. Damd belted magnums killed it off, I think. Been looking for one myself. Buy it!

10. locutus

Uhhhhh...... The .300 H&H IS a belted magnum.

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

ruger no. 1

The only cartridge currently available in the Ruger #1 is 7x57. And I don't think they will make them too much longer. There will soon be no more #1's made. Now the used market is a different story. Used (I prefer pre-owned) #1's are out there and available and will be for quite a while. One good thing about used #1's is that most of them were taken good care of. A guy who owns a Ruger #1 is a serious rifleman who appreciates quality and good looks and doesn't care about (or need) a fast second shot. A .300 H&H in a Ruger #1 should not be hard to find. The .300 H&H was also made by Remington in their M721 and I see those available from time to time.
    ct

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The .300 is what is availible, not the .375. If you want to go big I vote .416 Rigby.

13. locutus

Or even better, .505 Gibbs!:D

Actually, I have a pre-64 Model 70 in .375 H&H, and anything I can't kill with one shot from that rifle, well..... I don't need to kill!

And anybody that tells you a .375 H&H is a joy to shoot is a damned.... well you know!:p

14. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Yea, I could have worded that differently but, the good news is that you are still fairly sharp for your vintage:eek: and it got you a few more "likes".;)

Minus the history lesson, the 300 H&H was a victim of cannibalism.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Locutus I think the kid just called you an old fart !....................;);)

16. locutus

He's right!:p

17. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Buy It,
    A few years back I passed on a chance to buy a ? in .375 H&H.
    NEED? of course not.
    But to have and fire the thing.
    O M G!
    Regret it still.

18. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Wait now we still have the H&H 600 Nitro Express,or special order H&H 700 Nitro Express,locomotive killers not to be forgotten.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have no need for a 300 H & H rifle, but if one came along at the right time and price, i'd buy it and shoot the snot out of it! or until my bruised shoulder couldn't take anymore!:eek: