.300 bo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by assain618, Jan 6, 2012.

1. assain618

assain618 New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post. But I've been wanting/needing a good build ar in .300bo and my requirements are
    >$1000 at most-ish
    >reliable
    >flat top full length rail
    >right handed

Also if anyone knows anything about it I heard I could replace a .223 barrel on an ar15 and then it be a .300bo if I can do this how hard would it be and how long would this take? If barrel and ar hit about 1k please inform me of wich, brand, model, acessability, etc.
    Many thanks, assain618

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

The bare minimum if you already have an ar15 is just a barrel.

3. will_reed

will_reed New Member

DSA has .300 wtf uppers for less than $350...

4. assain618

assain618 New Member

I currently do not own an ar. But I'm lookin into buying one

5. assain618

assain618 New Member

I may be interested in this upper, where would be the best place to buy/order at?

6. will_reed

will_reed New Member

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I've heard good stuff about DSArms FALs but not about their ARs.

What were you wanting from your .300BLK? Hunting, range toy?

I built one by exchanging out the barrel on a 5.56 AR I already had. I did purchase a new bolt carrier group for it as well.

I would personally get my all my parts minus barrel from Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts and Accessories then get a barrel from another supplier. Delta Company Arms, LLC machined a barrel for me exactly how I wanted it.

8. assain618

assain618 New Member

Thanks so far guys, i want a good quality gun but I just can't seem to find them for a reasonable price.

I am interested a lot in the barrel switch from .223 to .300 BO

Got any ideas or know company that makes one that has flat upper rail ? (Still keeping me in the price range)

9. will_reed

will_reed New Member

IMO, there isn't much difference between PSA and DSA. I have owned parts from both and everything functioned 100%.

10. will_reed

will_reed New Member

The last AR (5.56) that I assembled ended up like this:

Upper from DSA - $235
    Stripped Spike's lower from LGS -$90
    Build kit from PSA (LPK and stock kit) - $90
    Used M16 BCG locally -$80

Roughly $500 and it runs 100% with about 600 rounds down the pipe right now.

So, with the .300 upper you could be under $600 and have a solid rifle. But it all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. LoL!

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I don't know if I'd purchase a used BCG when I can get a new one for $99 from PSA.

Like I mentioned before I'd go with parts from PSA then get a barrel from Aaron at Delta Company Arms.

12. will_reed

will_reed New Member

That should have read Colt M16 bcg...

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Where do you get a new Colt F/A BCG for $80?

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah that would be amazing, even used. Just the bolt maybe?

15. will_reed

will_reed New Member

Come on guys, I said it was used and I picked it up locally. That's why I didn't order a new one from PSA. LOL!

I got a used Colt M4 barrel from the same guy too, I haven't decided how to use ot yet though.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Your first post said used BCG for $80 then you corrected yourself and said it should have said Colt M16 BCG. See where the confusion came from? Either way I wouldn't use a used BCG w/ a new barrel.

I'd use the barrel w/ the BCG it came w/.

Back on subject.
    Like always, go the cheapest route and you'll end up w/ junk. Get a good barrel and BCG as they are the most important parts. Receivers are almost a wash, I suggest PSA due to price and quality.

17. will_reed

will_reed New Member

I never said it was new, and I'm sorry but I just don't agree with you on the BCG. Lightly used or new has never made any difference for me in functionality.

Either way, we are both suggesting the same thing to the OP. Use quality parts to assembly the rifle and it will work, and quality parts aren't always expensive.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  18. assain618

assain618 New Member

Thanks for the help guys, I will definitely look into it. It can be more affordable then I imagined.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You're saying quality but you're not ointing him toward quality.

Just be carefull. If you buy cheap you will end up spending more in the long run. THere's a big difference b/w cheap and value.

20. will_reed

will_reed New Member

What the hell is your problem guy?

The only thing I suggested differently is the maker of the barrel, and there are plenty of reviews out there to back up the quality of the DSA .300 barrel.

Link us to a review showing one that shoots badly...