300 blk vs 7.62x39

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mountainman13, Nov 18, 2012.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Which is better and why?
    Let the argument begin. Lol

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Better for what?

The 300 uses a straighter case and is more compatible with the AR. Ammo is generally if higher quality but a bit more exclusive, expensive and less common. It uses .308 diameter bullets so it is more appealing to the hand loader because of the wider selection of bullets than the .311 diameter pills of the Soviet cartridge. Ballistically speaking they are pretty close, but the 300 was designed to mostly shine as a subsonic round for suppressor use and I haven't seen any commercially available subsonic 7.62x39 rounds in any quantity.

Now for high volume blasting, affordability and availability for bulk use. The 7.62x39 is definitely better for the "blue collar" shooter.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Couldnt have been said any better ;)

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Do you believe the 300 blk has better stopping power and penetration than the 7.62?
    You think the round is really gonna catch on?
    I'm just looking for general input and opinions.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The ballistics are essentially the same as a 7.62X39 round
    there is very little difference in velocity between a 9" barrel and a 16" barrel ,I think its like 180 fps difference which isnt much for that kind of barrel difference . Its a great round to use suppressed and its really a all around great 30 cal round
    Far more accurate than most any AKs
    Maximum effective range =

460 metres (503 yd) 125 grain supersonic
    200 metres (219 yd) 220 grain subsonic

Yes its catching on out there , everywhere I have been looking barrels are out of stock for what Im looking for and ammo is starting to come down in price so there must be more of it moving out there or it would stay more expensive

6. SSGN_Doc

Ah. Too soon to tell. One thing the .300 Blk has going for it is the comparability with ARs. Folks have been frustrated for years trying to get 7.62x39 to run well in ARs and the mags are usually the weak link.

Lots of AR fans out there could give it a market. But ultimately folks in the market will have to find a need that the round really meets that justifies the cost. Then the ammonia manufacturers really need to embrace it by offering a large selection of loads, including cheap ammo for practice and plinking.

As far as stopping power goes I'd say they both have the same potential if they both had the same variety and quality if projectiles available. That just isn't the case though.

But can the availability if cheap ammo in 7.62x39 be overcome by a new round to a usually skeptical and conservative market base that shooters usually represent? I dunno.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Cool. Thanks for the input guys. It's hard to judge in Massachusetts the people are reeeaaaallllyyyyy slow to catch on. Lol

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i doubt it. 300blk is a neat idea but for the reason people buy 762x39 ak47 sks etc its not gonna get beat by the 300blk.

with the price of lower end ar10 type rifles approaching the 1k range not many folks are going to opt for a bastardized version of 308winchester.

the main problem with the 300 is that there are no cheap common guns chambered in it that work well. 762x39 doesnt have that problem. a secondary issue is the lack of barrel production for those that want to build up or swap out.

just my thoughts

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I agree with Jon , I was going to do a .300 blk SBR but I have been wanting a .308 and the FN SCAR is just out of my price range right now , I saw a real nice DPMS .308 last week for just a hair over $1000 . I really like to build my own stuff but damn that a real good deal . I keep telling myself if the SHTF the .300 blk ammo will be scarce and .308 seems to be every where .

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Doesn't the 308 kinda beat the hell out of the lower?

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

nah the .308 lowers are more massive/ beefier than the normal 5.56 lower I wouldnt say it would be a issue with .308

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ah so that's why people are into the blk. You can use a standard lower and the same mags. Hmm gonna have to think on this some more.

13. SSGN_Doc

Nope. It is a larger lower. And the lower really doesn't see much of the stress in an AR.

Also keep in mind that Stoner's original rifle submission was the AR 10. The AR 15 was a down sized version.

14. SSGN_Doc

And the case head fits s standard bolt too if I recall correctly.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yup standard mags and standard bolt

16. SSGN_Doc

Thanks. With all the new cartridges I get fuzzy on some details. I did think that was one of the benefits of the cartridge though.

17. rsilvers

rsilvers New Member

300 is not a version of the 308 Winchester, and AR10 rifles are huge and heavy compared to 300 BLK rifles.

Yes there is - the most popular rifle of all, the AR15.

18. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

The 300 blk uses all AR parts except for the barrel. Using a trimmed .223 cartridge you can make your own cases. Uses standard and readily available bullets made for the .308 platform. Uses standard AR mags and all that out to 300 meters no problem.
    The 300 blk does what all the predecessors have been trying to do Make a round that cycles and performs well using a many standard AR parts as possible. The only thing you HAVE to change is the barrel all other parts interchange and THAT is why it is becoming so popular. In states where you are not allowed to hunt with .22 cal the 300 black gives you the ability to take big game with your AR.
    The only downside to this round is the long distance shot is much more difficult our just not worth the math for most shooters. Not a bad trade off in my opinion.

19. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

"300 blk vs 7.62x39
    Which is better and why?"

Personal preference.

I don't have any use for the AKs or their ammo. This doesn't mean that it is bad/no good/(insert your own adjective).

Standard/normal weapons:
    AKs are loose. Run dirty and just keep on going.
    ARs are tight. Some run dirty, most like to be clean and well oiled.
    AKs have 'crap' ammo. It is cheap and plentiful. Not great accuracy, can do better (some say much better) with good stuff.
    ARs have good and consistent ammo. Quite accurate for most.
    AKs, military surplus is 139 or so grain FMC. Not the best bet for hunting.
    ARs, military surplus is 55/62 grain FMC/steel core. Not the best bet for hunting.

But we are talking about the 300 AAC Blackout.
    An AR built for the Blackout is tight and accurate. Great ammo with bullet weights and types for all needs from 110gr to 220gr and more.
    No, it is not fair to compare great loaded stuff for the 300 BlackOut to crap stuff for the AK.

The AR in 300 AAC Blackout is the standard AR15/M16/M4 configuration with a carbine gas system and buffer. Same everything except barrel and tend to favor shorter barrels at that.

But which is better? Personnel preference. If all you want to do is bang away, go with the AK. The 300 BlackOut is more expensive, but then they are no more expensive than any comparable AR in .2233/5.56. Factory ammo (I have never shot any) looks to be reasonably prices. I cut down dead .223/5.56 brass, form it and trim it, same primers and have my selection of bullets. Oh, it uses less powder than it's little daddy round.

So, pick your weapon. I've picked mine..... But I still have and like my other ARs.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

it uses .308 bullets in a necked up .223 case. my scar17 weighs in at 7.9 pounds hardly a heavy weight.

ar15 arent cheap compaired to an ak47 or sks