300 blk rifle or Pistol

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Kwaynebb, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

Just looking for a few of your personal opinions between the 300 blk rifle or pistol.

I've never even held an AR pistol so I have zero experience and therefor nothing to compare to.

Ultimately I do want to suppress so I am leaning on side of a pistol given the weight difference and lack of a 22" trunk sticking out in front of me, but even with that I am still torn.

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

just basing my answers on my own preferences, I would build one in a rifle or carbine configuration, simply because I just am not a fan of AR platformed pistols personally. they just don't suit me.

I would probably go a carbine with a suppressor myself. of course if going the carbine direction, if you are considering a suppressor, you might also consider going the SBR route as well to keep it more compact.

in my opinion there are much better pistols that are suppressed than a 300 Blackout in an AR pistol. but that is just my thoughts on it.

3. mjtx88

mjtx88 New Member

I built a 10.5" pistol as the round works great in a short barrel. Recoil is minimum so a stock isn't even needed. Whichever way you go, get a pistol gas system. People seem to have less issues with cycling, with a pistol gas system as opposed to a carbine.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1456797224.174388.jpg

4. Kwaynebb

Kwaynebb New Member

I'm definitely open to opinions of better rounds.

The purpose of this is for knocking down yotes and hogs here in north Texas. That being said either one would work just fine, but it's my understanding that the 300 performs best out of a short suppressed barrel.

As far as other calibers go, I haven't researched too many. Just got swept up by the popularity of the 300. I like that complete uppers are affordable even though ammo might be a little pricey.

5. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I use a 16" RRA upper on my 300. Although I will use it suppressed one day right now I don't. I've been using Nosler ballistic tip 125 gr. Rounds and they are very effective and exceptionally accurate. I definitely recommend them . I want to say they are about 2400 fps. With 11 or 1200 impact velocity.

6. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

300 blk sbr. Especially if your planning on going suppressed and have to do the forms anyway.

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I've been doing some homework on the blk out. Going by everything I've read. The blk out was designed to work in short barrels. And basically anything over 9" is just extra weight. Also most barrels will have a pistol length gas system even the 16". That is bc most of the powders used in the round just work better with a pistol gas system.

It's understandable that most don't want to go with a barrel less than 16" due to ATF requirements. And a lot of people myself included are not fans of pistol ARs. But there are a few "pistol braces" out there that look like stocks and can legally be used to fire a Ar pistol from the shoulder. Sig SB-15 is a popular one.

8. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

If it's a brace and you put it to your shoulder it's considered an sbr because you are utilizing it as a stock.

9. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

This is true. (If you're caught doing it). Still a dumb law made by idiot politicians!

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

From what I've read from the atf it is still considered a brace no mater the position you hold it. And according to the atf its only illegal if you change the gun not hold it a different way. If you hold a shotgun with one hand that doesn't make it a pistol.

11. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

The latest and greatest 'opinion' from AN agent (ie: NOT the law) is that by shouldering a sig brace, you are magically transforming the properties of the firearm from that of a pistol to that of an SBR (January 2016). What are they supposed to say? Use your pistol like an SBR but don't get one of our nice $200 collector's edition stamps??

So, one agent pens a letter in response to the countless folks who demand clarification (vs leaving well enough alone).

The point is, if they search your house and find a pistol with a sig brace on it, NOT a violation. If an ATF agent happens to be standing in back of you at the range, and accuses you of shouldering your sig brace, my instant comeback is "nope! I'm holding a tight cheek weld, that's where the pressure is against my cheek". It isn't going to happen.

In other words, this whole thing is a non-starter. Unless you are engaged in a criminal act, or, like an idiot, bragging about how you are skirting BATF rules online, etc. Which we see plenty on youtube......

12. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

I built my pistol with a 12.50" barrel from CMMG for use with supersonic ammunition. At this time the pistol has a set of Magpul buis sights and off hand I can strike a ten inch gong at 100 yards with no problem and have a lot of fun doing it. A red dot of some sort would be a boon to fast shooting with the pistol, particularly for close in targets.

13. Rapomstage3

Rapomstage3 New Member

.300 blk is meant to be short. Do a pistol ,then sbr it while you wait. This is a pistol that I'm waiting for a stamp on but as you can see it's pretty usable in this configuration.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165004&stc=1&d=1460330520

Attached Files:

14. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

15. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

I built four total rifles in 300 Blackout and find I have the most fun with the 12.5" pistol and light weight carbine with a CMMG barrel. Since I shoot only supersonic ammo I have developed loads for 110, 115, 125, 147 and 168 grain bullets. Out to 100 yards I have been able to hit squirrel size targets and all the different weights shoot fairly close to point of aim. I have a great time plinking with both the 5.56 and 300 Blackout doing informal plinking and hunting Texas hogs ( I am currently on a two month hunting trip and have thirty nine hogs down). To me the 300 is a bit more fun to shoot simply because of the heavier projectile feeling different while firing and the sound it makes contacting steel.

16. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

yep looks plenty lethal in that configuration. Like yourself, I stuck a brace on while waiting for a stamp. I expect the whole thing to be anti climactic when the stamp arrives.

17. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Why decide, buy both!
    [​IMG]
    The pistol is great for deer hunting, it is small & easy to move through the woods.
    Both are accurate as hell. The pistol is fired from a solid cheek rest not shouldered.