30-30 Loads for Whitetails

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rpmranch, Nov 23, 2010.

1. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

I have an opportunity to hunt a freinds creek bottom that is flush with deer, it is also heavily wooded. All of the deer stands are in or around the creek bottom The only gun I have that would fill the ticket is my old winchester 30-30 that I have not fired in years, (unless I break out the S&W 44 Mag).

I have been looking at some 150 grain hollow points. Most of the shots will not be more than 40-50 yards and that is a stretch. Any thoughts on something better?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

At that short of distance just about any 30-30 load will work, 150gr or 170gr would be fine. I would go to the local shop and pic up a couple boxes of core locks or similar and make sure your rifle likes them before heading out. You can get a box of Federal JSPs for around $10 at walmart. You won't see any benefit in amore expensive bullet at that close range.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

At that range. Louisville Slugger. Take the ball bat, leave the rifle at home!

Seriously, as the man just said, any decent 30-30 round. I am personally partial to the 170 gr Silvertip in 30-30. At 40 yards, most 30-30s will be a through and through unless you hit major bone. You want 2 holes- 1 to let air in, 1 to let blood out. DO take time to check your zero for close shots- have seen folks miss completely at close range- with their rifle zeroed for 200, shooting over the critter at 40 yards.

4. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

Thanks everyone, I was planning on sighting it in for 50 yds.