30-30 lever Ammo

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by deadeye199824, Dec 7, 2012.

1. deadeye199824

deadeye199824 New Member

I thought if a 30-30 had a point then in the tube it is possible for a round to make another go off so why is there a 30-30 round with a point

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

For those 30-30 firearms that do not have a tube-fed magazine.

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

The only 30-30 ammo I ever seen with a point is the Hornady lever ammo and the tip on it flexes

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That is Hornady's Leverevolution ammo (they also sell the bullets and the powder for those who roll their own).

I do believe that there are some box fed magazine rifles, then there is also the Thompson Contender single-shot handgun for which you can get a 30-30 Winchester barrel.

5. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

The savage m99 was chambered in 30-30 along with a boat load of calibers I new they sold the bullets and powder for it

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Savage Model 99 is has a rotary magazine and can use spitzer bullets.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes in deed! Regular pointed bullets can set off the round in front of it in the 30-30 tubular magazine. That is why Hornady has the new soft tip 30-30 rounds that are safe to shoot in a 30-30's tubular magazine. There may also be some other manufacturers that have them now also?

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The lever evolution ammo from Hornady has a flex tip bullet that will not set off a primer in a mag tube. It also has blended powder that gives it more velocity. This combination if velocity and a lower drag bullet adds a bit more effective range to the .30-30.

The rounds I have fired of this ammo were also very consistent and just about as accurate as hand loads.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Here is a Hickock 45 video with the Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage, but it explains it well.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Winchester 95 too.

11. outlaw4life09

outlaw4life09 New Member

Quick question, call me an idiot if you want, but would soft point, or hollow point for that matter, cause the .30-30. To tube fire as well? I have a marlin 30-30 and this is the first i've ever heard of a cartridge fire in the tube.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The Lever Evolution ammo works great in a tube fed mag. The "average" round/soft point ammo has no problems that I've ever heard of. I know I've shot a bunch of the "normal" stuff and it's always worked well for me.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Soft point and hollow point are OK, as long as it is not a spitzer. What you are avoiding is striking the primer in the center (like a firing pin or hammer would do) so it will hit the anvil in the center of the primer (check out a reloading manual that has cutaway drawings of primers if this is not clear.)

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As been stated they are other 30-30 shooters besides tube fed-
    Thats where common sense comes it to play--

15. krosskelt

krosskelt New Member

I had to alter my follower when I started using the Leverevolution ammo. The tips when loading would get stuck between the rounded end of the carrier and the tube. Has anybody else had this problem? I found some followers you can buy that had a blunt end on them. I just pulled mine out and took it to work and made it blunt with a slight recess to center the ammo tip in the follower. It fits perfectly in the tube now and have not had any problems. I have been trying to search for an article or post on this. If there is not one I will make one.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I load Hornady 170 grain flat point bullets over **.* grains of 4064. My son killed his first elk with that load in a 94 Winchester. One shot. Clean kill. Bullet expanded to over 1/2 inch and was found under the skin on the off side. Completely penetrated a large elk's chest.