.30-06 vs 7.62x51 recoil?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SirOlaf, May 22, 2013.

1. SirOlaf

SirOlaf New Member

How different is the recoil on these two?

2. psychosam

psychosam New Member

It depends on the rifle but I would say pretty similar

3. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

The old Mosin kicked alot harder then my current 30-06, but of course my 06 has a nice recoil pad that probably makes all the difference in the world.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

In theory the 30/06 and .308 would have the same recoil in the same gun.

5. psychosam

psychosam New Member

Weight is a big factor too. My 30.06 kicks harder than my friends 300wsm but his weighs like 2.5lbs more than mine too

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

too many variables to give a simple answer to this question. each rifles weight, bullet weights, type of actions, powders used, ect., ect......

here's a link to a recoil table to give some idea as to what recoil is like in many different calibers, with some using different bullet weights.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes what AXXE said! "Exactly" Both have around 15 Lbs of recoil.

8. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

With all variables equal, such as rifle model, stock, overall weight, etc. the same, the recoil is pretty close. Under these conditions I am not sure I could tell the difference if I did not know what cartridge I was shooting.

9. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Nope, better pull out your recoil calculator, shooting the same weight of bullet with max loads for each you will find the 06 is on average 80-90fps faster and burning about 10-12gr more powder, that makes for a considerable difference in felt recoil. Mine are even more extreme my 30-06 and 308 weight the same, have the same LOP and both have top notch recoil pads on them, but my 06 is shooting 61.5gr of RL19 (Nosler Max) and the 308 is shooting 44.5gr of Varget (pressure limit) the difference in recoil is easily noticeable.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Factory loads show the exact same velocity for each. But you are correct that we don't know the powder weight in factory loads without pulling the bullets to check.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For all practical purposes, recoil is identical.

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Thx for the link Axxe
    I know from doing it weight plays a huge factor in felt recoil, action an so on

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter