30-06 vs .308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by LotzORemmies, Apr 13, 2010.

1. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Your thoughts? I want to do a ".30 build" but have heard lots of positive qualities for both rounds. Care to weigh in?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What the 30-06 does the 308 does as well just in a small package. It is 100 to 200 fps slower but they are both great cartridges. I myself would go with the 308 unless 200+gr bullets were to be used. The 308 being a short action cartridge will save you some weight and offer a stiffer action than the long action the 30-06 needs.

3. opaww

opaww New Member

what tango said

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I am not a .30-06 fan. .308 is as stated above is great for 200gr- bullets. I am a big fan of 165..168gr in my bolt guns and 150gr in my BLR.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

.30-06 is a sentimental favorite with me. However, there's nothing wrong with .308.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Even though the .30-06 is over 100 years old it is still a fine caliber. It is a "little" better than the .308 in that it gives 100-200 fps more velocity.

It is really now just bridging the gap between the .308 and the .300 Win Mag.

If I was building a rifle for less than 600 yards, I would probably choose the .308. For more than 600, .300 WM

7. Wambli

Wambli Member

For the one gun person the 30-06 is tough to beat because you can get just about anything from varmint weight to heavies in commercial loadings... BUT I can't even wrap my head around the one gun mentality so my choice would be..

.308 because I like short actions and there is ammo out there to do anything I would ever want to do with a .308 from great huning ammo to Match stuff that'll make your head spin. The round is well understood, documented, tested and performs flawlessly.

I know that the 30-06 has an edge with heavier bullets but If I need heavier then I just bring a bigger caliber to play so I wouldn't feel shortchanged at all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  8. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i saw a thread about the .30-06 vs .308 in another forum and people were going back and forth about the merits of both so i checked out the ballistics for both rounds and it looks like the .30-06 has a few more bullet choices and a slight edge ballistics wise.

however, the difference in ballistics is pretty slim, most shooters may not even be able to distinguish between the two.

and the .30-06 may have a few more bullet choices, but the .308 can be loaded with a wide enough variety to do just about whatever you want with a round in that size.

so i for me it's just a matter of whether you prefer the short or long action.

i bought a .30-06 because it is what i knew and i am happy with it, but i think i would be just as happy shooting a rifle chambered in .308.

9. Hoytman

Hoytman New Member

Theres only one way to putt it. BUY BOTH.

10. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Def not a one gun guy. Still working on my 22-250 rem 700 (just got new glass), and just finished dialing in my 270 weatherby mag k98 which is an awesome stick. But I need a 30 of some sorts...

Right now it's between an FN FAL and a howa1500/rem 700 VLS.

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

What he said.

It also depends on what you want the gun to do for you. If you want to take down big game or be a multi-purpose gun with both sustained fire capibility and accurate single shot capibility.

12. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Def multipurpose. Long range target shooting mainly, semi auto wouldnt hurt.

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well if you want a bolt gun, I'd go ahead and get a 30-06 because of its many different handloads available. Of course, you could always get a BAR rifle in 30-06 as well for the semi-auto action if that is more your style like myself.
    If you're willing to put out a couple hundred more you could go with a pretty decent 308 AR-10 from DPMS and you can get often handload to get 1 MOA or less out of a good AR-10 like theirs from what I hear.

14. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

A CA-legal AR-10 is not cheap. Like "my wife will kill me" not cheap. AR-10 is really what I want (or a R-25 in 308), but thats about 500 more than I want to spend. I can get an FAL for $900.

15. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well an FAL is much more reliable than a Saiga 308 pre or post converted. A Saiga may get 1.5 MOA at 100 yards if you tune it right with factory ammo. I've seen it tighten up some with handloads and a few upgrades. But the plus side is that a saiga wont break the bank, as far as I know, not sure if they're legal in California though.

Knowing how much are you willing to spend would be a good way for us to narrow things down.

16. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

My problem with the saiga is the crap trigger. I know they make an adjustable one but still hear they can be difficult.

I do like the chrome lined barrel though.

17. Rumpelhardt

Rumpelhardt New Member

Up here I have been to places where the only store in 30 miles might if your lucky have a box or two of 30-06, 30-30, 12 Gage shotgun shells and maybe 22lr on the shelf and possibly if the store owner is a real gun nut a box of 270. I don't know about other places but that's here.
    I have both but I hunt with the 30-06. The 308 is for paper punching.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  18. opaww

opaww New Member

The 06 and .308 are very close in respects to the amount of reloading that can be done with them. The advantage in 06 is it is just a tad bit faster, and can be tweeked a bit more then the 308, sense it's case has a little more powder capasity.

In some areas of the U.S. you may run into a lack of 308 ammo as apposed to .06 off the shelves. So if you want to hunt med. to large north American game you might want the .06 sense you will have more ammo in the stores to choose from.

Also don't forget the Cetme/G-3/HK-91 there good semi-autos with a good reliability and the accuricy for it's intended use is good. The Cetme is going for arouns $500-$600 U.S.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  19. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

I can't find a Cemte/G-3 that is CA legal, only the FAL.