30-06 reloader dies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Crazycastor, May 5, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Getting ready to order a set of dies for my and my brothers 30-06. I noticed that there is two different types. A full size die and a neck size die. I'm not sure which one to get or do I need both?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Dang it! I was looking for a gruesome video or pictures of a crime scene.

3. trip

trip New Member

I think you need the full length die if your loading for different rifles. The neck die is used for loading for only 1 rifle. That's pretty basic but oughta get ya going.

4. clearsights

clearsights New Member

Ha!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

get the full length sizer version. you can still set a full length die to neck size. it kinda does a better job that way than a true neck size die.

ive got a neck sizer for my 308 setup and im less than pleased with the results. ive gotten better consistant result by backinging off the full length sizer and using it to neck size

6. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Ok so since I'm reloading for two different guns get the full length. Got it.

7. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I've reloaded pistol rounds and I'm new to that but haven't reloaded any rifle rounds. Just checking to make sure I start off right

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

How do you just size the neck on a cartridge with a full length sizer die?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just back the die off a scootch and the important shoulder dimension isnt touched. Most older loading manuals describe how to do it. I got it out of one of my old speer manuals. It comes down to the fl die sizes the body a little doesnt reset the shoulder and sizes the neck. I get more uniform results when im using that method on fire formed brass than using just a neck sizer.

Still need to trim after sizing and check headspace. When i do this whether using a neck sizer or fl to neck size chambering can be difficult on some brass. Seems to be dependent on how many times the brass has been used between fl sizing and annealing.

I get kinda lax and sometimes mix up brass or lose track of firings.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Also called "partial resizing." I've been doing it for 40 years. It works.:)

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

neck size

Umh, that's funny. I get much better and much more consistant and accurate and foolproof results with a cartridge specific neck die than by partial sizing w/ a FL die. And NOT the collet type from Lee, but the actual neck sizing dies from RCBS, Redding, or Lyman. But, to each his own I suppose.
    ct

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

sizing

Right, but completely full length resize all of the brass if you mix the brass up. If you neck size only, keep the brass separate; i.e., one group of brass for each gun.
    ct

13. BLKRIFLE

BLKRIFLE New Member

I have both cause I use some pulled cases and some once fired. I only load for my Garand so I use the neck sizer after I have fired them once through my rifle and the full length for all once fired.

14. techiej

techiej New Member

For the Garand (I have one) you want to full size...that's going to be the case with any semiauto. Neck sizing only works best for use with a single gun, non semi. Just my opinion.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Mileage does vary in most things. In handloading technique is 90%. With partially sizing the case i get better feed and bolt lockup on the savage and 03a3. I always seem to have difficult time getting the 308 savage and the 30-06 A3 to close correctly and extract smoothly if i just use a neck sizer.

Im prolly doing something wrong with the neck size dies but damned if i know what it is

16. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I'd like to add, neck size as trip said is correct, but better for bolt action rifles.

Semis tend to need a bit more sizing on the shoulder

17. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I recommend a three die set with both neck and full length dies, plus the seater die.

This gives you the flexibility to use the neck sizer if you want to load for a specific rifle.

18. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

We ordered the full length dies set from rcbs since me and my brother will be using it. But i believe a neck sizing die will be my next die to order for my gun only.

19. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I just bought the only gun powder I could find while up in Prescott. Hodgon vargas. Anybody using this for 30-06 reloading.

20. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Hodgon varket I think that is right