30-06 perfect hunting caliber

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ARlover, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ARlover

ARlover New Member

For game not birds

2. ARlover

ARlover New Member

Is it whatca think

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Wouldn't that depend on range and brush levels? In this part of MS, it is probably has more range than most shots would require with the brush-filled woods.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Not perfect for squirrels either.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'm gonna go get some popcorn- this should be good....;)

6. ARlover

ARlover New Member

7. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

So are a bunch of others.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Yup---make mine "extra butter".

I'll toss my 2¢ in----The 30-06 is not perfect, but it's a dandy all around
    caliber. A bit much for squirrel, maybe a little light for big bears. It's
    also one of those calibers that you can probably find ammo for way
    out back of nowhere. I think the .308 will probably reach the same
    status soon, but it will always remain just a little behind the '06 at
    the heavy bullet/long range end of the window.:)

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

Looks like it'll clear up tomorrow, a top-down day.

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Im getting a new rifle soon. Hopefully before this coming hunting season. I have a 30-06 I'm putting out to pasture and that's what will be replacing it with. I only hunt deer with it and target shoot out to 400yrds and the 30-06 does both of those well. I reload for 30-06 and I personally like the slight velocity gain over .308.

Plenty of other calibers are more than capable of doing what I need a rifle to do. I have a .243, and a .270 that I use for the same thing I just like the 30-06.

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The .30-06 is great for medium game and long shots. As far as squirrels are concerned, there used to be a 55-grain sabot round that could be used to take small game as a varminter from squirrels to fox. The bullet that separated from the sabot was in the .23-.27 range. I believe it was Remington that made that round.

12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

From memory it was a 55gn projectile in a sabot fired out of a 30/06 and possibly a .308 cartridge as well.

The 30/06 in my opinion is the jumping off point from your .270's and .308's into the realm of the big bangers as in the big .30's upwards. If you can handle a 30/06 in recoil then your probably able to handle the bigger .30's.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

nothing beats the .347 Creedmore super ultra partitioned magnum PI

talk amongst yourselves (I'm verklempt!)

14. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It's a good round but to say it is perfect????? Don't know bout all that!!!!!!!!

15. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

It's not the perfect hunting caliber but it's probably the most versatile big game cartridge in North America? It's tough to beat a .22lr for small game. And there are better, smaller, calibers for medium game like coyotes. But for large game, deer and up, I don't think any other caliber works as well across the board. Their are calibers that would be better for specific situations. A 30-30 is tough to beat in a swamp for deer. A .270 is flatter shooting for distance. But for using one cartridge in every situation for everything it would be tough to be beat the old 30-06.

Just my .02:)

16. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Call me crazy but I think the 30-06 is a little too much for whitetail, mine keeps knocking large chunks out of them and making alot of gunshot meat. My 6.5x55 kills them just as dead just as fast and meat damage is a total non-issue.
    Now to be fair I do load my 06 kinna stout (my most accurate load) with Sierra Game Kings. I have never shot game with a factory 30-06 bullet.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Shoot the deer in the neck or the head. You need to think about where you are aiming. Hunting is not like SD, you don't aim for center mass. If you are hitting the deer in the shoulders forward you can not gut shoot the deer without taking shots on some mighty weird angles.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Depends where you live. The environment and biology of the area determines what is the appropriate cartridge to use while hunting. In my area, I can hunt from badger (medium) to Red Deer (large) with a .308 during any single hunt. I feel the .308 is the best caliber for the German forests. Too small will injure a large animal, and too large will destroy the meat of medium game.

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I prefer the 7.62x63..............

20. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I'm partial to 300 win mag must be the sniper in me