30-.06 Milsurp ammo question...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by supergus, Feb 27, 2009.

1. supergus

supergus New Member

I bought a case of military ball 30-.06 at a gun show recently, however the individual boxes don't have the bullet grain on them. The ammo boxes have a 1963 date on them. Does anyone know what the likely bullet grain is on this ammo? Also, a gun shop owner recently told me to be careful, that shooting some of today's factory loads might be too much for my M1 Garand. What do ya'll think? What is the threshold that I should stay under as far as muzzle velocity? The reason for the questions is that I am getting ready to begin finding the most accurate round for my M1 and need to know what to stay away from(besides Wolf and Silver Bear!) Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU FEED A M1 GARAND. The m1 wasnt designed when slow burning powders were around. When reloading stick with the mid range burning rates powders like 4320 or 4895 or 4064. Newer slow burning powders have a different peak preasure rating and will destroy your m1 op rod! Original M2 ammo used a 150 grain flat based bullet over 48 grains of IMR 4895 powder.Does your ammo have the M2 labeling? Stay away from factory soft point ammo as it WILL damage your rifle. If you have any other questions or need more help just pm me.

3. supergus

supergus New Member

I don't reload so some of what you said is outta my league right now. To answer your question, yes the box says M2 Military Ball. However, the bullets are soft point(lead):confused: yet the boxes were unopened.
    I've been looking at factory ballistics tables but they don't list pressures, just grain weight, muzzle velocity, and energy. So how do I know what pressures the manufacturers load their specific rounds?

4. 30-30remchester

If you will give me more imfo on the ammo such as brand, bullet weight, headstamp imfo, box imfo, ect. I will ask members of the cartridge collecters association. I should get a reply in a day or two. Better safe than sorry.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If it says M-2 from 1963, you are GTG in a Garand. That is safe for your rifle. What is the head stamp? LC, TW, PS, KA, etc.

6. 30-30remchester

I hear rumors to the effect that Hornaday is supposed to be getting ready to market some soft point ammo that is suitable for garands. Just a rumor hope its true.

7. robocop10mm

OOPS! I just noticed, you said the bullets were soft points. That is NOT M-2 ball despite what the box may say. USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH THIS AMMO.

It is possible someone pulled the FMJ's and simply inserted 150gr soft points.

It is equally likely someone boxed reloads in the M-2 boxes. There is NO way of knowing exactly what you have!

This could be someones pet handload that is very dangerous for you and/or your Garand.

8. supergus

supergus New Member

Guys, I just double checked. The ammo in the boxes are indeed 1963 ball ammo. What happened was I had bought some rounds of ammo with some enblocs I had bought. THOSE are soft points. I only have about 50 rounds of that. All the other ammo is ball ammo. So, I should get rid of the soft points but I'm fine with the ball, correct? Robo, the head stamp is HXP 63.

9. robocop10mm

HXP is Greek. Boxer primed, reloadable and a very good reputation. Get rid of the SP? That is a little harsh. The brass, primer and bullet are perfectly good. The powder "may" be good, it is an unknown factor. I would pull the bullets, scrap the powder and load with a known quantity of a known powder. Or, just sock it away for a rainy day. You never know when you might pick up a bolt gun in -06 and have a use for it.

10. supergus

supergus New Member

Sounds like a plan. Now I need to find some modern accurate factory ammo that's safe.

11. robocop10mm

Good luck with that. Hornaday is supposedly coming out with a Garand safe load. Prety much everything else loaded with a soft point COULD be harmful to your OP rod.

12. supergus

supergus New Member

Just found it:
    M1 Garand Match Load

Item No. 81170

Hornady M-1 Garand ammunition is loaded with a 168 gr A-MAX™ bullet that launches at 2,710 fps with match winning accuracy. Specifically selected propellants provide temperature stability and accurate performance within the M-1's operating system.

30-06 M1
    Velocity (fps)/Energy (ft/lb)
    MUZZLE 200 YDS 300 YDS 600 YDS 800 YDS 1000 YDS
    168 gr. A-MAX 2710/2739 2343/2048 2171/1758 1700/1078 1433/766 1219/554
    30-06 M1
    Trajectory Tables
    MUZZLE 200 YDS 300 YDS 600 YDS 800 YDS 1000 YDS
    168 gr. A-MAX -1.5 0.0 -8.3 -83.0 -190.6 -366.9

13. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

One can still purchase Military surplus from CMP. Here is their link CMP Home

They sell Garand's and they also sell 30-06 Military Surplus HXP ammo.

This is still the best for your gun.

14. supergus

supergus New Member

That's actually where I got my M1, and HXP is what I have, but the accuracy compared to modern ammo isn't that great. I shot a box of Winchester X and the HXP didn't stand a chance.

15. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

If you are into total accuracy, you should consider reloading specialized target rounds that will allow you to tune the loads to your weapon. Just about anybody that shoots competively, usally loads their own rounds.

I reload mostly for cost savings. I'm not into accuracy (Except once in a while) - Then I load some very specific rounds to achieve the accuracy.

But thats the best way to go. You can buy a box of factory ammo and find it to be extremely accurate, then you can buy another box (of the same ammo), and find its not even close. Reloading fixes this problem.

;)

16. supergus

supergus New Member

Good point. I don't have one square foot to spare to do any reloading right now, but when we move back to NH I get to have MY OWN GUN ROOM!!:D:D

17. duallydondon

duallydondon New Member

Federal

Federal is now making FMJ ammo just for the Garand,,most places like Graf&Sons carry it:):)