30-06 loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jamo, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jamo

jamo New Member

i am going to casper wyoming antelope hunting would like to have some good loads for my model 70 30-06 hope m y aim is better than my spelling jamo

2. stick_man

stick_man New Member

My loads

Jamo, welcome to the forum.

If I were to take my '06 out after the Wyoming speed goat, I would probably go with something like the 165gr BTSP (something like the Nosler Solid Base). They are a lot cheaper to load than the 165gr TSX that I load for elk, but are close enough to the same trajectory that I don't need to do much adjusting. A good flat shooting boat tail makes great medicine for putting down just about anything.

My #1 choice caliber for the speed goat is the 6mm Remington with 85gr boat tails. Fast, flat shooting, and plenty of weight for even the biggest goat. You don't need lots of weight to put them down, but might need to reach out there some.

Good luck.

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Dont lose any sleep over over which load and caliber. I have shoot nearly 30 pronghorns and guided hunters into another 30. I have taken them with everything from a Smith and Wesson 357 mag and Colt 1911 both with iron sights. Have used 375 H&H,35 Whelen,338Win Mag, 30-30,25-35,222Rem,25-06,45-90,32-30, 223Rem to name just a few. Just learn to shoot well, dont take any running shots, and keep your shots under 350 yards and you should do well with about any spitzer load.

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Finding a desirable load is always very important, although, two different firearms will not shoot a particular load with the same accuracy. My 06 shoots a 168 gr. Sierra Match King with 48 grs. of 4064 nicely. I have found that IMR 4064 works well in most of the rifle calibers I reload for, although, for antelope you may want to try a 150 gr. ballistic tip bullet for long distant shooting. Don't get me wrong, there is no substitute for practice, although, confidence in your ammunition will aid in your over-all performance (IMO). Good Luck , Shoot Straight, and Stay Safe, Joe

5. Water-Man

Water-Man New Member

165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip

6. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Agreed! Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tip bullets over 48 grains of IMR 4064 is a great hand load for the venerable .30-06. I have killed many a Texas whitetail at 100 - 300 yards with that combination. Many times there was NO exit wound - all the kinetic energy stayed in the deer. I have never had to track a wounded deer more than 30 yards with that load. Most drop stone dead right on the spot.

Accurate bullet placement does help.

TXnorton

7. jamo

jamo New Member

thanks guys

thanks alot for the infor guys keep on living youall will get there

8. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Thought I would chime in as well, I just started loading 180 gr Hornady SST. They will take anything from a wild hog to an elk or moose.

9. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

On light game like the antelope and those pesky little whitetails, I like the Hornady BTSP 165 gr. I think that they open up better on light game, and I often recover the bullet. I load H 4350 powder at max recommendation to get a bit over 2900 fps. That is an extremely accurate load in my M700. I should say it is extremely accurate at range, 300+ yards are in the cooler.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Me I would look at a 150gr load. They are speed goats not Water Buffalo.

I agree with not taking any running shots. I had a buddy that shot his first one running and the meat was nasty. Then I learned that they produce so much adrenaline when they are running it makes the meat taste bad. I don't know if that is why but I can tell you it was nasty tasting meat from the running shot.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm with tango, I'd go with 150gr maybe 130. They will shoot a little flater and a goat isn't that big, should be more than enough weight to drop one.

12. W. C. Quantrill

I have tried lighter bullets in my 700 but it is just more accurate with the 165's. If your barrel will print the lighter ones, I'd say go for it, I can only speak for my rifle.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you are going to take longer shots. 250+ then I would look at some berger 155gr Hunting VLD bullets.

I am running 150gr Hornady Interloc and getting 1" 5 shot groups out of my Remmy Model 30.

14. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Go to your local Wally world or equivalent and get your green box of cheap Remington Core-lokts. No need for the expensive uber bullets on thin skinned game as the cheaper bullets work just fine. Don't drink the cool-aid so to speak. As to the load question, that you will have to work out on your own. Get a couple of handloading reference books and have at it though it sounds like it's late in the game for load development and you want an instant panacea load.

15. Rockridgez

Rockridgez New Member

52-54 Grains IMR 4350 (work up), 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or Hornaday BTSP, Federal 210M Match Primer. Perfect and All you'll ever need for the Great '06

16. W. C. Quantrill

That gives you some very accurate .308 level loads. Easy to shoot if you are shooting all day. My hunting loads go on up to the top of the scale. I took my deer this winter at 440 yards. 165 gr Hornady BTSP over max load of 4350. I am guessing a bit over 2950 coming out of the pipe. The lighter loads probably would have done it also, its just what you are used to.

17. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I also use 48 grains of 4064 with a 168 grain a-max in my Eddystone 1917. That load makes the bullet trajectory line up with my sight elevation settings.

Pretty popular load.

18. W. C. Quantrill

As far as picking different weight bullets, you have to try some and see if your barrel likes them. My rifle barrel likes the 165's. That is what I get the best accuracy with. Your accuracy with lighter bullets may depend upon your barrel twist. I have a .308 that will handle 110's. But my .30-06 wont. So before anyone goes and invests in 100 rounds of something other than you know works, I would say try a few and see if you can get that 300 yard accuracy that you need from it. The hunting shows are full of long gut shots that lets the animal run a half a mile before it dies. I'd suspect that the hide and horns are alll that are salvageable from those.

Check your twist, depending upon the rifle year of manufacture and brand, the .30 cal twist could vary from 9 inches to 12 or 13 inches. The longer twists will handle lighter shorter bullets. The shorter twists like longer bullets. It is a matter of physics, not opinion.

19. J T Patriot

J T Patriot New Member

my 06 likes the 165 gr BT. My fav load is what I consider a max load of 59.5 gr H-4831 CCI mag primer. just off the barrel lands of my Rem. 700. Its a compressed load in most cases. Work up to this as your rifle may not digest this as mine does. Took me a couple hundred rounds to discover this load for my rifle. Could be Im a better shooter because of the practice too.

20. W. C. Quantrill

Exactly right, other than I use 4350 powder. I also use a R700, military brass, and max load right off the lands. I also shoot a lot.

I might add, like the old timers told me. Practice does not make perfect. Only Perfect Practice makes perfect. Make smoke.