.30-06 loads with RL19 Nosler Ballistic Tip 165gr

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Moose98, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Moose98

Moose98 New Member

Looking for suggestions on where to start for a load with RL19, using just Winchester brass and loading Nosler Ballistic tip 165 grain bullets. First time using the powder and want to do it right. I was thinking starting out at 53gr and moving up by increments of 1/2. So like 53 through 55.5. At least from what I've read. Any thoughts on this and do you think it would be fine?

2. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

It's always best to look at the books that have loads for your bullets, either by powder makers or bullet makers. Alliant Powder online has a warning about lower charge rates, so you really need to check the range of charge rates before starting at what you have mentioned.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

get a couple of load data books and start with their starting powder charges for that powder. that powder is pretty common and a couple of mine have many loads using that powder.

start off at the lowest powder charge and work you way up slowly. my Speer #14 manual shows a starting charge of 55.0 grains, and maximum charge of 59.0 grains. i would suggest if wanting a reduced charge type load, using a powder that is recommended for such usage in that cartridge. mine shows using powder SR 4759 for a reduced load with that weight of bullet. some powders are not acceptable to use for reduced power loads.

safety first. follow the load data recommendations.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...wderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=13&cartridge=81

in the charge weight column, those are the recommended maximum powder charges to use.

if you don't own any load data books, buy some. buy at least a couple of different ones. i have at least nine or ten of them i keep on the shelf next to my reloading equipment. if you are strictly relying upon the internet and the powder and bullet websites, yes they are a very good source for data, but what do you do if your computer, or smart phone has crapped out, or the internet goes on the fritz? that's why i will always have books for back up. and i will continue to keep buying books.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. Moose98

Moose98 New Member

Awesome this really helps and yeah the books definitely seem the best way to go about it. Thanks!

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Reloader 21 or 25 would be a much better powder for the 30/06 and a bullet of that weight. Reloader 19 is a little faster burning powder,the 06 will get better velocities and performance from a slower burning powder.