30-06 Deer/Pig Round

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Sniper03, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have a 30-06 that I plan on taking with me to Texas this next season deer and pig hunting. Just wanted to check with the group on the Forum who use a 30-06 for deer and or pig hunting. What round do they recommend. I like good clean kills and a round that will not tear up an excessive amount of meat if that is possible! I love my 7mm Rem Mag. But it does tear up a little more meat than if prefer.

2. soldierman79

soldierman79 New Member

I use an '06 with 150 grain soft points for hog hunting and place the shot in the neck...never had one take a step further to this day. Great round and cost efficient as well.
    I feel it's a great choice in cartridge for hogs and deer. Just my $0.02 :)

3. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

Couldn't ask for a better round for deer and hogs I shoot a 150 grain core-lokt, killed many deer and a few hogs never had one go further than 50 yards, as long as you dont shoot ballistic tips there is little to no meat loss, a friend of mine is stuck on those things and they rip up every thing he shoots. Good luck out there

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I agree 150 grain is a good all around bullet weight. IMO there are some new ballistic tipped bullets that work great, Hornady SST is one that will mushroom flawlessly and with little fragmentation. I took a 165 lb buck in LA last season with a 139 grain SST Hornady Superperformance in 280 rem. Hit the deer in the front shoulder at a slight angle facing me and when I was skinning the deer found the bullet stuck in a piece hide still attached to the exit wound.

Winchester Nosler Accubonds work well also, but are a little more expensive than the Hornady.

Nothing wrong with soft points, I have taken deer with them also.

5. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Hornady SST. Since I have started using them the deer drop where they stand. Hogs? Yea, don't worry about that armor...goes right in and kills on contact.

6. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

My standard load for my Mod.70 24"bbl is the Hornady 150 gr.SST my load chrono's at 3000 fps. Prior to the SST's I used the same load with a Sierra 150 gr.spitzer BT. This bullet also worked well but in my rifle the SST groups a bit better.
    TGR

7. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

should have been more specific he's shooting winchester ballistic silvertips, I wasnt trying to bash ballistic tips in general, these bullets have there place I'm just not to keen on them as a round for shooting animals that I'm goin to eat.

8. Sniper03

Normally when I shoot the pigs it is behind the ear!
    With the deer it is behind the front leg for a heart lung shot!

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I hunt with the 115gr/168gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertips in my 25/06 & 308.I've never seen them damage anymore meat than any other hunting bullet.
    They expand the same as any soft point bullet.

Sniper,just about any hunting bullet from 150gr-168gr will do what you want.

10. Sniper03

Thank you all for the information~

I will try them! My 7mm Rem Mag Shooting Remington 150 gr. Accutips drops them like a rock but does tear up more meat than I prefer.