3 shot zero

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by huntsman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. huntsman

huntsman New Member

Is there such a thing as a 3 shot zero? I've heard of it but can't find out about it. Thanks.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Shepherd claims a one shot zero with their scopes.

3. kaido

kaido New Member

I've done a two shot, but the second was to essentially confirm the zero. I put the gun in a lead sled, fired it with the cross hairs dead centre, then all you do is set the rifle back up the exact same way as before you shot it. After you e done that you just move the windage/elevation to where the bullet impacted, then fire another shot to confirm.

After that you should be set to go around wreaking havoc on any steel/paper that's been giving you trouble.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There's your answer ^^^.

5. huntsman

huntsman New Member

Thanks I'll try it next time at the range. Sounds easy. I have Nikon 3/9. Howa 30/06.

6. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I've tried it multiplte times, but without the led sled, it will be more than 3 if your anything like me :)

7. tCan

tCan Active Member

This same process should work with a 1" grid at just a touch inside of 100 yards. If you know how to use a scope that is.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What ever number of shots you are using for your zero must be repeatable. The rifle should be cleaned and fire another string. It takes a number of strings of fire to determine if the rifle is holding its zero.
    It is highly unlikely you will carry a Lead Sled around while using your rifle. The zero of a rifle changes with forearm support. The zero from a rigid forearm support will differ from a hand supported forearm. It is only in a mystical land that 3 shots proves a rifles is zeroed. Really Alice.:D

9. kaido

kaido New Member

Alright smarty pants, I'll give you this battle. But I shall win this "war". haha

If you know you're going to firing from _______ position the most, then you could use the led sled to get the rough zeroing out of the way. Once it's on in the sled, take it out and get into said position and do any fine tuning that's needed.

10. Wambli

Wambli New Member

If you are refering to sighting in a rifle here is one example.
    [​IMG]

Rifle had just been picked up form the maker who test fired it but I mounted my own scope and bore sighted at the range. I intentionally left the group to the right so as not to screw up my POA. First shot was the bottom one, second shot was slightly higher to prove scope tracking Ok, 3rd exactly where I wanted it and 4th to confirm.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

"Smarty Pants" have not heard that since the third grade.;) You really should study Basic Rifle Marksmanship. This would at least enable you to discuss the subject on shooting forums.:)

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to save ammo first shoot a shot at 25 yards. Use one shot at a time at 25 until you a dead on or very close then go to 100 and you should on the paper. I use a bore sight when I install a scope but still fire my first shot at 25 to make sure I am close enough to be be on paper at 100 to keep from wasting ammo.
    Just some advise from an old fart who has found it is better to do this to start with rather than come back to it latter in the process! ;)

13. kaido

kaido New Member

I do agree that I would probably gain a good bit from actually sitting down and reading up on marksmanship skills and the like. However, I do not take back the smarty pants comment as all of us, like it or not, like to toss out immature names from time to time. Haha

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

So I had two scopes mounted and bore sighted for 100 yards. I'm new to scopes as I've always shot iron sights, so best thing to do is start at 25 yards, make sure it's good then out to 100 yards to get it zeroed. Correct?

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That is how I do it and I strongly advise it. If you are on at 25 it only cost one shot. If you are not on at 25 it is easy to get there and you will not waste time and money (and cussing) if you don't hit the paper at 100 when you first start!;)

PS: Remember, at 25 you must make 4 X the adjustments as you would at 100. If it takes 4 clicks per inch at 100 it is about 16 at 25!:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you mount your own scopes, a $40-60 bore sighter is worth the money you would waste in ammo trying to get on paper, at any distance.

when i buy a new scope or move one to another rifle, i bore sight it first, then i adjust the scope at 25 yards and then when satisfied with that i move out to a 100 yards for final adjustments.

17. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Thank ya gents. Hopefully ill be able to go to the range soon enough. Haven't shot in a while and I'm getting edgy!

18. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I think Im gonna invest in a boresight laser next...but its kinda fun shooting tight 3-shot groups and adjusting to POI :)

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i bought mine simply because it's easier than having to take mine to the gun shop and have it done when i bought a new scope or decide to move one to another rifle. and sometimes i buy a new scope and the one that was on there, i decide will be better for another rifle i have!

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I agree - There are few things as humbling as "coming back to it later in the process."

Not sure but I think this 3 Shot zero is a Military thing. All gun sights are brought to "Mechanical Zero" then the trooper fires one 3 shot group to see where the gun is shooting. Once known - it's a just a matter of adjusting the sights (POA=POI). In Theory, a good shooter can be on Tgt after only ONE - 3 shot group.

However, EVERYONE always seems to fire a confirmation/fine tuning group. Scores are very competitive, enlisted get promotion points based on their performance.

So I suppose in "Wonderland" - everyone is sighted in w 3 and qualifies "Expert" on their first try. :D