3 round burst?

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by TimL2952, Feb 18, 2011.

1. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Technically it isn't semi automatic...but at the same time it isnt fully automatic....

Does anybody have any literature about why or if this is restricted?

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Check with the BATFE. There's loads of info over there.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sorry...two or more bangs with 1 trigger pull is fully auto...restricted to Class III (NFA)

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the nazi batfe considers it full automatic as their definition goes two or more bullets fired with a single trigger pull. check:
    Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is not the "nazi batfe" that considers it full auto, it is the NFA that defined full auto fire as two or more shots with single trigger pull. The BATFE simply enforces that law. They do make administrative policy decisions that have the effect of law, but that is not one of them.

While some would like to change that, consider that the M-16A2 is easily converted to A1 configuration with a few parts dropped in. The auto sear is the same in the two.

6. fixxer

fixxer New Member

VERY GOOD POINT. As much as we may hate the BATFE for enforcing asinine policy, that is simply their job. They aren't making the laws, just enforcing them. I wanted to mention this a few times myself. The people WE elect are the one's proposing these laws and/or signing off on them. I often speak in terms of "the ATF says" or "ATF forms are a joke" too. I'm sure a lot of people make these statements like I do.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  7. JonM

JonM Moderator

call it the gestapo batfe then heh.

8. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

its such a grey area....what if I have an older style side by side and I pull both triggers at the same time? technically its not pulling one trigger once for two shots...but pretty damn close.....

some of these rules are jokes

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

LU- it is not a gray area. One shot per pull of 1 trigger. If you had a double barrel shotgun that was designed to fire BOTH barrels with one pull of one trigger, you are outside the law. If you took a double barrel shotgun, and installed a block, so that pulling one trigger pulled the other trigger at the same time, outside the law. A weapon designed to "burst fire" IS a full auto as defined in the NFA. However, a hand cranked Gatling Gun is not. Add an electric motor controlled by a switch, it is. A Model 97 pump shotgun can have the trigger held down, as as you pump it, it fires- but THAT requires manual reloading (pumping). This is the definition of machinegun from the actual NFA:

The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

BTW- just for the sake of argument, it is one shot, not one bullet. There ARE cartridges that have more than one projectile per cartridge.

10. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

okay bad analogy with the shotgun. and I understand the definitions and current rules...But still not sold on the burst fire deal.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Don't understand why? I provided an excerpt from the NFA that mentions burst fire explicitely within the definition of "machine gun." You don't have to agree with it but it is the law of the land at the present.

12. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Whether you're sold on burst fire being full auto (which I think Jplye and C3 have done a pretty good job of pointing out the facts), the Federal Government is sold on the definition. More than one shot with a single trigger pull and you have manufactured a machine gun, end of debate.

13. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I mean I understand it but I think it is kind of stupid...

14. robocop10mm

As the Dude would say " Well, that's like your opinion, man".

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And I think it is stupid to call adding a shoulder stock to a revolver "Making a short barreled rifle".

If you expect all laws to make sense, you will have many diasappointments in life. :p

16. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

That is one GREAT example of a dumb law.
    A pistol is a pistol. It's still a Semi Auto or a revolver or single shot, the function and capacity is still the same, but you add a shoulder stock and make it bigger and its now a regulated SBR.
    i guess its too hard to define the differences:rolleyes:

17. partsdealer

partsdealer New Member

more then 1 bank with one trigger pull is consider FA

18. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

3 round burst with one trigger pull....

Attached Files:

19. robocop10mm

Nice try, but muzzle loaders exempt from NFA.

20. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Sweet! . . . . . Now where did I put those full auto musket blue prints?