3 gun shotgun that wont break the bank?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by BsonomaMN, Feb 12, 2014.

1. BsonomaMN

BsonomaMN New Member

I'm thinking about trying a 3 gun shoot sometime and I'm pretty set on pistols and rifles, but my shotgun selection might not be up to snuff. Everything I have for shotguns are either family heirlooms or set up for birds. Any suggestions out there on a shotgun that isn't going to set me back $2k? Should I use my 1100 the first time before I make an investment?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

find out what other competitors are using and see if anything suits your tastes and budget. try some out if possible.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Mossberg 935 auto loader is a good choice.

I would just roll with what ya got until you have a good idea from watching others have problems with their gear.

That's what I did when I started cowboy shooting. Glad I did too. Saved me from going rossi and stoeger...

If anyone gives you a hard time as a new guy just ask the tard to buy you a shotgun to try out... once you got a few matches under the belt you will have a very good idea what will work for you.

4. BsonomaMN

BsonomaMN New Member

Thanks guys! All great advice.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you are a hunter who is used to scanning the sky for birds as you thumb more ammo in your shotgun you are already faster with a shotgun than 99% of the people that shoot 3 gun. For most 3 gun shooters tactical shotgun reloads while moving are only a fantasy.

Get an 8 shot maverick 88 or Mossberg pump. Neither gun has a loading gate that will get in the way when you reload. They both will take the punishment of thousands of rounds of buckshot. In the event something breaks the new part will always be in stock and under $35, even a new trigger assembly.

Shoot low recoil ammo. When you buy low recoil ammo it still needs to have buffer material (plastic sawdust) and a pair of flat wads (felt and plastic).

You want to engage targets with the shotgun that would slow you down with a pistol.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. RMc

RMc Member

Nobel brand buckshot loads do not contain buffer.

7. JAB

JAB New Member

Your rem 1100 will work for you until you find out what's a good shotgun, like others have said check out what others are shooting and ask them why they picked that shotgun. I started off with a older 870 wingmaster now im using a moss 930

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

The Mossberg JM Pro. Tailor made for your needs and like $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

9. Doc Neeley

Doc Neeley New Member

Just get a Nordic mag tube extension for the 1100 (@$80)and go have fun while you figure out the rest of it. :)

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Go with the 1100 for now. An extended mag tube and maybe a shorter barrel (I've got the remchoke
    smoothbore deer barrel on mine) are both reversible modifications. Shoot a few matches, decide
    if it's a game you want to play, watch what the others are running and ask lots of questions.

11. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

FNSLP is also a good choice along with the JM930.

12. TheGunDude

TheGunDude New Member

A friend of mine bought his Benelli, the base model, and sent it off to have it tricked out. Apparently Benelli sells it tricked out for nearly $3,800. By buying the base model and having a smith do the work, he got a very comparable and custom shotgun for about $1,800. While I am not certain I would spend that much on a shotgun, he definitely found an economical way to go about it.

I'll check with him to get the exact models, the custom shop, and the exact numbers.

But I am with the JonM, use what you have until you figure it all out, then get expensive. You don't want to be the guy with the most expensive running shoes while sitting on the couch.

13. TheGunDude

TheGunDude New Member

So my friend got back to me on how he built his Benelli M2. He bought the Benelli M2 for $1,200 then sent it to C-rums for customization costing an additional $600. He had C-rums perform the following upgrades:
    -bolt lightening
    -out of battery bolt loading mod
    -ghost load mod, welded lifter
    -oversized bolt release
    -trigger job
    -rear and front sights
    -extension tube from nordic components
    -throated barrel mod
    -extension clamp
    -oversized bolt handle

He said to buy the gun with those mods cost nearly $3,000 but by buying it and sending it out he was able to get the same gun, maybe better, for about $1,800.

I'm no expert regarding 3 gun, so I offer this as food for thought.

-TheGunDude

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The only reason I suggested the pump is it is very hard to buy a Remington 1100 anymore. For quite a while the only 1100 Remington that has been available is a high end skeet model. I might shoot a couple matches with the 1100. Once you start trying to shoot fast the 1100 is going to get beat to hell.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Remington seems to be listing quite a few of the Model 1100's on their website.

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/autoloading-model-1100.aspx

295 listings of Remington model 1100's on GunBroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Shotguns/BI.aspx?Keywords=1100

please clarify why a model 1100 is hard to buy. seems like they are available new and used from what i can see.

16. jtischauser

jtischauser New Member

The Stoeger M3000 is making a push for the best entry level shotgun. I just set one up for 3 gun for only $549 and about 2-3 hours of rmr opening the loading port and polishing a few bits and pieces. I'm going to make a few more mods and then shoot the gun in major matches this year just to prove it's worthiness.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbV3lPcNorg&sns=em[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  17. BsonomaMN

BsonomaMN New Member

thanks for the great advice all. It sounds like going with the 1100 to get my feet wet is the best move.