2nd SP101

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by NGIB, Feb 13, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I really like the 2" SP101 I have and I'm a sucker for 3" revolvers - yeah, I got another one. For the price ($450) I just couldn't pass this one up. It came with box & papers, 2 holsters (paddle & IWB), 3 sets of grips (including the gorgeous Badger boot grips), 2 speedloaders, and 100 rounds of PMC .357 JHP. While the ivory polymer grips on the gun are perhaps the ugliest I've ever seen - they feel great in the hand. I'll probably put the Badger's on my 2" gun as they'll look great there...

Attached Files:

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Good find and great price for all of it Dave! I have a fondness for Ruger revolvers myself. Are you going to slick the trigger up & put a Wolff spring kit in it?

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That was a good price for all of that Dave! Good looking Ruger SP, very nice find......again. :rolleyes:

As Bear asked, are ya gonna Wolf-kit it?

4. freefall

freefall New Member

Gotta agree, those white grips are butt ugly. I wish my SP was a 3". (We need an envy smiley.) Those Badger grips sure look nice.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yeah, I'll probably order Wolff kits for both of them. I dug out the magnifying glass and found out the ivory grips are made by Trausch and sold by the US distributor in Savannah. Supposedly great at controlling recoil - sure wish they would have been the black ones as they are seriously comfortable in the hand...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Nice purchase:cool: I have always been fond of Ruger revolvers.. even though I don't own one yet:eek:

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is what Aluma Hyde 2 is for.

Love those 3" SP101's.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have a 3" S&W 686+ and it's damn near the perfect revolver. The balance of this 3 incher is fantastic as well...

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd almost trade my 19 for that(it pissed me off today). That is a great price for all of that and a great weapon.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My buddy had a 3" 686 back in the late 80s. It was su-weet! He had Robar do a full chrome sulfide job on it and it looked trick.

11. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Ya can't go wrong with the SP101. Although they're about twice the price now than they were 5 or 6 years ago. What's up with that? I had to file/buff the front sights on my 2 1/4" barrel so it was consistent with the rest of the CCW pistols I own. It was shooting REALLY low. I have to say I agree with you on the white grips. They're butt ugly but they also look like they'd get the job done. It would be nice to have a set like that in black.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I put the Badger boot grips on the 2 incher and they look great (I'll snap a picture this evening). Not sure I'd want to shoot .357s with these tiny grips on it, but it's loaded with .38s anyway. The ivory grips are indeed seriously ugly but I'm going to leave them on for the initial rage outing. Based on what I've read on the Ruger forum - these are about as good as it gets for the SP101 when shooting heavy magnum loads. If I can't stand the looks anymore, I'll just put the Hogue's on it...