2nd magazine

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bigtiller, Jan 19, 2011.

1. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I just got a .380. It's a Sig Sauer P238 with a pocket holster and a licence to carry it. You guys that pocket carry, where and how do you carry a second magazine? Are you concerned about moisture? Or do you forget the second mag and figure the one in the gun is enough?

Attached Files:

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Not to steal your thread but how does that work for pocket carry? Does it want to catch on anything when you draw?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful lil pistol!

4. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

That is a De Santies Nemesis holster but it does not fit the Sig very well. It was made for thinner guns like the Ruger LCP. I ordered a leather pocket holster from Sig that is made for the P238. It should work a lot better. I have no problem getting the gun out of my jeens front pocket but the holster wants to come with it.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've seen pocket holsters for extra mags.

Personally I'd just slip one or two in a back pocket.

6. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Hey Bigtiller, how do you like that P238? I've been looking at those for a while now. Held one a few times but haven't shot one yet...

7. HighSpeed

HighSpeed New Member

I usually carry a G26 and just put an extra mag in my front pocket. The primers on my ammo are sealed, so normal moisture (light sweat or light rain) doesn't concern me much.

8. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I really like it. It comes up in just the right spot. And it is just heavy enough that it is not painfull to shoot 50 rounds. Infact it is a lot of fun. The first thing I did when I got it home was to read the manual and clean and oil it. Some guns have a lot of grease in them when new but this Sig had just a little bit extra oil in it for my liking but overall I was very happy with it.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I always carry at least two mags. Mag holders or in back pocket (but be careful with sitting down, you could bend the mag lips).

10. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Many semi-auto failures can be traced to magazine problems. It is a very good idea to carry at least one spare. With a bad magazine you may only be able to get off one shot. Not to start another thread on the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the .380, they are not known to be effective fight stoppers. Chances are great that multiple rounds will be required to stop an attacker.

I use a clip-on pouch from Western Case Co. to carry a spare mag on my belt. http://www.westerncasecompany.com/ Western Case makes carry pouches & etc. for small electronics, some of which work well for firearms accessories. In fact Western Case can be found at many Gun Shows on the west coast. They have velcro closures and very strong steel belt clips for secure carry. Many other mag pouches are on the internet.

As pointed out above, it is important to protect the feed lips of your magazines if you want them to work. That may require a small adjustment to your wardrobe.

As for the "one in the gun" being enough, how do you know? There is no way you can know what you will need to defend yourself. We all have scenarios in mind, but no one can know for sure. Most gun fights are over in seconds with two-three shots fired. Most, but not all. Will every shot you fire hit a vital organ, or completely miss your target?

When I am on duty, I not only carry a spare mag(s), but a backup gun with a reload for it as well.

As Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) says; "Two is one, and one is none."

May I suggest a good self defense, gun fighting school?

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

i carry my 238 by sticking it into my watch pocket. They are the perfect size to get it all the way to the grip over the trigger guard. Only the grip protrudes.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I have no complaints with my P238. It is a nice little shooter. Sometimes I carry it on special occasions as a BUG, as a pocket gun, and sometimes as a gym bag gun when I am working out. Never had a problem with snags or hangups during a draw. I use a wallet holster.

[​IMG]

Extra mag, front pocket, and I use an improvised mag dust cover.

Attached Files:

13. dantfitz

dantfitz New Member

For my 45 I have the Tactical Tailor Holster Bag that holds the gun and an extra mag.

For BG 380 I ordered I am having a mag pouch made along with a holster form Mcabe Holsters. I thinks pocket lint is more likely to cause problems keeping a spare mag in your pocket.

14. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

I carry a P238 a lot using the sig pocket holster you have ordered, it works great. I keep a spare mag in the oposite front pocket. This little sig is a lot of fun to shoot and is very accurate. I think it is the best looking 380 on the market. Very easy take down and cleaning.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I carry my PF9 in my right hip pocket with a spare mag in my left hand vest pocket.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I knew I saw it!

The DeSantis Nemesis Cargo Pocket Holster

Attached Files:

17. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I don't usually carry an extra mag, especially when carrying my Para.
    I feel that if my first double-tap dosn't work, I'm already in deep s**t..
    Remember, most all gunfights are at very close range and if you have to do a mag change in that situation, then you have already missed your target and at worst, might already be dead. If you are going to carry, train, train, train and be able to make that first shot count. If you wind up in a gunfight to where you have emptied your pistol and have to make a mag change, you are most likely far enough away from your advisary that you should have had other options and will have a very long day in court or worst.

Jim..........

18. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I looked over the DeSantis web site and found the holster you show but they don't make one for the Sig Sauer just yet.

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I posted the question. I have never been in a position where I needed a wepon and most likely never will. At this point I am more concerned with comfort. If it is comfortable and completly hidden then I will most likely carry. Like you and others have said, gun fights are usually over with in a hand full of seconds.

19. magnumman

magnumman New Member

they make those change pockets for a reason. perfect for 2 380 mags

20. MikePapa1

MikePapa1 New Member

I carry my 238 in a RKBA pocket holster. It fits great, easy to draw but with good retention. I always carry an extra magazine in my other front pocket. These are great little guns. I bought my son one and an RKBA holster with his initials. He loves his, too.