2nd admendment at full

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by thefunofcastlelaw, Sep 26, 2013.

1. thefunofcastlelaw

thefunofcastlelaw New Member

What are the requirements for getting your class 3 weapons license

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First- there is no such thing as a Class III license.

If you want to OWN a Class III firearm, then (a) possession of that firearm must be allowed by your STATE laws, (b) you must be 21 yrs old, and (c) able to buy an ordinary firearm.

The transfer of that firearm to you must be through a dealer that has a FFL AND has paid the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) to deal in that type of firearm. That dealer can guide you in completing the paperwork, which will include approval from your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer, prints, pictures, the application form, and payment of the transfer tax ($200, or in a few cases, $5)

EACH transfer is treated as a seperate transaction. There is no "Well, I have my license, so you can transfer this one and that one and the one over there, and 2 of those green ones....."

If you want to be a DEALER in class III firearms, that is another matter.

3. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

C3, that's great info!

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

It sometimes feels like C3 knows all.

5. c3shooter

Not at all. But I know where to find the people that DO know the answers! :p

6. thefunofcastlelaw

Thanks I've heard people say there is one so I didn't know but thank you for the info

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

After reading your question in this thread, I really don't understand the title of the thread.

Honestly I'm not sure I understood the title to begin with.

8. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I think it's like he wants to use his 2nd amendment right to the fullest by getting a full auto.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Almost as good anyway.

10. thefunofcastlelaw

Yes that's right I'm sorry not real good at this yet but I've gotten great info on this place the whole reason I posted it up is because I've eyeing a gangster style tommy gun

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

We have a sheriff that will not sign the paperwork for a Class III anything. He states he won't hinder your efforts, but he will also not help. Are there alternatives? Do they still work in today's political climate? Thanks

12. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

So you have to go through the same process over again for each one, and you are at the mercy of your local sheriff or chief of police?

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the chief law enforcement officer is usually the sheriff of the county you live in. if they deny you, i don't know if there are any alternatives. so yes, pretty much at the mercy and whim of whether they wnat you to have one or not.

kind of ironic though. you can pass a federal background check by the FBI to legally own one, but if the sheriff says no, well no it is. really kind of stupid actually.

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

He isn't actually or legally denying you. He's just not helping you. He did say that people seeking a class III article would have to pursue other means, but didn't outline what the other means were.

15. dcilten

dcilten New Member

I read somewhere that you can form a corporation, and transfer class III items in trust without the chief law enforcement officers signature. I believe that is one of the evil "loopholes" our dicktaster in chief is trying to close by executive fiat, ER I mean order. Because we all know that all the gun crime is committed with class III firearms. (Sarcasm) ;)

16. c3shooter

Yes, you repeat the process on each class III item. From scratch.

You can form a legally qualified trust, and that removes the sheriff from the loop. Or see if the District Attorney will sign.

Class III firearms (properly called NFA- National Firearms Act) include not only machineguns, but suppressors, short barreled rifles/shotguns, destructive devices, and a catch all of Any Other Weapons (AOWs).

Only the machineguns that were already registered to a private party by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private party. Machineguns made after that date can only be transferred to a law enforcement agency, the military, or another machine gun dealer/ machine gun manufacturer.

Which is why you will find that a Model 1928 Thompson that has been papered will sell for around $25,000 and up. A legal M16 is about $20,000.