.280 questions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by robertwc, Apr 15, 2013.

1. robertwc

robertwc New Member

When I buy rounds for my .280 I see on the box that they are suitable for use in 7 mm express Remington. Is it suitable to go in reverse?

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes, they are the same ammo. The .280 is simply a 30-06 necked to a 7MM. A damn fine cartridge.

3. smarquez

smarquez New Member

I think I heard there was a little identity crisis/confusion with the 7MM Remington Mag so Remington re designated it .280 Remington. It's what I shoot. I went .280 to be a little different.

4. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Great question. This is the rare exception when the two actually are the exact same cartridge. The .280 is what my dad shoots and it is a great cartridge.:)

5. robertwc

robertwc New Member

Thanks. I am new to multiple gun ownership and am trying to learn as much as possible.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Remington offered the .280 Remington in 1962 to compete with the popular .270 Winchester. Problem, they offered it in the Remington 740 Semi-Auto. They had to offer a .280 loaded below the bolt action pressures of the .270.
    In 1979 they renamed it but continued loading to a lower pressure round. The 7MM Express lasted one year. The Remington 7MM-08 was released and the .280 Remington entered into cartridges of the past.:(

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Nitestalker is correct, except it lasted from 1979-1981 from what i determined and they went back to calling it the 280 Remington. the 280 Remington and the 7mm Express are the same cartridge, just different names. in 1979, Remington wanted to revive interest in the 280 Rem., so with some clever marketing, they renamed it the 7mm Express. problem was, that people confused it with the 7mm Rem. Mag., so after two years, they went back to using the name 280 Remington.

ballistics wise, the 280 Remington is about in between the 270 Winchester and the 7mm Rem. Mag. a few rifle manufacters do offer it currently.

it is one of my favorites and they are usually scarce to find. i searched for over 10-12 years trying to locate one. i finally found one last year, in an older Ruger M77V (made in 1978) at my LGS. one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The .244 Remington and the 6mm Remington is another case where both names are the exact same cartridge. Won't get into the reasons and whys here and now as the subject has been written about to death, but a quick google search will explain it.
    ct

9. smarquez

smarquez New Member

I think it's alive and well as shown by it's availability in high end custom rifles. In my rifle it hasn't been at all picky about bullet weights or powders for hand loading. That's when the .280 shines.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  10. Axxe55

it was not re-designated the 280 Remington. it started as the 280 Remington when it was introduced in 1957. they renamed it the 7mm Express in 1979-1981 to try and revitalize it's image and re-promote it. due to confusion with the 7mm Rem. Mag. they changed it back to the 280 Remington.

I think it's alive and well as shown by it's availability in high end custom rifles. In my rifle it hasn't been at all picky about bullet weights or powders for hand loading. That's when the .280 shines.

that's the nice thing about high end custom rifles, you can get just about any caliber or chambering that you want. Ruger still offers the 280 Remington as well as Weatherby IIRC. there are a few that still offer it in a factory rifle.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  11. Wambli

Wambli New Member

A very nice chambering that is alive and well. For the reloader it offers the hint of extra horsepower over the 7mm-98 (My personal prefered deer round) that lets you drive 7mm bullets in the 160 gr. range with some wicked bc to near 7mm Rem Mag velocities in a very efficient case with very little shoulder pounding (not that the 7mm RM is a brusier anyway).

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The 280 is a great round! Of the 270, 280, and 06 I would chose it every time.;)
    The neck was pushed out about .050 so it would not chamber in a 270.
    If you want the best of the both the 270 and the 06 get a 280!:cool:

13. Axxe55

i have always had a liking for the 30-06, and have owned something in 30-06 for over 35 years now, but also any cartridge based off the 30-06 as well. several years ago, i found a fondness for 7mm calibered cartridges and when i located my Ruger M77V in 280 Remington last year, i found a new cartridge to love! it's based off the 30-06 and it's a 7mm. true love for me!:D

14. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

The 280 is a great round not to big or to small a got a Remington Model 4 7mm shoots 280cal and all the deer i have killed with it they don't run far if any. My father left me this gun and it is great i recomend to anyone.

15. robertwc

robertwc New Member

I really like my .280 but I don't know a lot about it. I know that it is a bolt action. I have been told that it is a Mauser action but not sure. Is that a good or bad thing?

16. Axxe55

need pictures and more info to be able to give you more detail about it.

17. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

The mauser was a german rifle used in ww2 i believe it could be the same what model and brand is your 280?

18. Axxe55

Mauser is a brand of rifle that was made prior to WWII and many rifles makers used variations of the Mauser actions and some still do currently. beings the 280 Remington wasn't introduced until 1957, highly doubt a WWII Mauser rifle would be chambered in it, unless it was rebarreled many years later.

19. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

20. Axxe55

there were lots's of rifles that copied the Mauser design. the Springfield 1903 was so close they even were sued by Mauser! and Mauser won the lawsuit.

the pre-1964 Winchester M70 were very close in design to the Mauser action.

the older Ruger M77's were very close to the Mauser action.

and Mauser licensed their designs to many others and still currently makes sporting rifles using pretty much the original design.