Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has experience in the loading and use of the .277 Wolverine, I’m interested in your results. What is the heaviest projectile and type that you have found to be practical? I’ve thoroughly experimented with the 6.8 SPC and am more than content with it, however regaining capacity due to case design is desirable.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
The 277 Wolverine is a good cartridge, but it has the same limits as all the other 223 cased wildcat's. A 223 case can only hold so much powder, and when you start loading heavy projectile's in a small capacity case, you get a bullet that has a very small window of actual use.
The 6.8 case has around 8 grains more case capacity than the 223 case, so shooting the same weight bullet's, the 6.8 will have better number's across the board.

I use 110gr - 115gr - and 120gr bullet's with my 6.8 SPC II, and 100gr and 120gr bullets in my 6.5 x 6.8 wildcat. I have no need in trying to shoot anything heavier since I have a 260 Remington large framed AR that I can shoot heavier bullets out of.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 277 Wolverine is a good cartridge, but it has the same limits as all the other 223 cased wildcat's. A 223 case can only hold so much powder, and when you start loading heavy projectile's in a small capacity case, you get a bullet that has a very small window of actual use.
The 6.8 case has around 8 grains more case capacity than the 223 case, so shooting the same weight bullet's, the 6.8 will have better number's across the board.

I use 110gr - 115gr - and 120gr bullet's with my 6.8 SPC II, and 100gr and 120gr bullets in my 6.5 x 6.8 wildcat. I have no need in trying to shoot anything heavier since I have a 260 Remington large framed AR that I can shoot heavier bullets out of.
I’ve had great success with 130gr SBT bullets in 6.8 SPC Spec II. The load I’ve worked up to match the POA/POI at 300m with the 110gr FMJ S&B round(Spec I), which is handy to say the least. My thought conception with the Wolverine was to cut a bit more lead to allow for a little more pressure, and run 120gr bullets. As for range, 300m is all the more I require of it, my collection of arms has plenty that triple that distance easily. The reality is most of my hunting shots end up being 50-150m. All said and done though, the .277 Wolverine is attractive because the only requirement is to swap the barrel on one of my existing ARs. To the same argument, the 25-45 Sharps has caught my attention as well.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I’ve had great success with 130gr SBT bullets in 6.8 SPC Spec II. The load I’ve worked up to match the POA/POI at 300m with the 110gr FMJ S&B round(Spec I), which is handy to say the least. My thought conception with the Wolverine was to cut a bit more lead to allow for a little more pressure, and run 120gr bullets. As for range, 300m is all the more I require of it, my collection of arms has plenty that triple that distance easily. The reality is most of my hunting shots end up being 50-150m. All said and done though, the .277 Wolverine is attractive because the only requirement is to swap the barrel on one of my existing ARs. To the same argument, the 25-45 Sharps has caught my attention as well.
I ended up shooting 90gr Sierra's from my palmetto state SPCII. They just work well in it for me for deer... I looked at the .277 Wolverine as well. What killed the Wolverine for me was the limited barrel makers, cost of dies, limited reload data,, and I had to honestly ask myself, "what am I gaining by this?" I live in Ohio, and its a straight-wall cartridge state. I ended up getting a 350 legend upper. At realistic deer distances for me (150 yards and in) - I'd give the 350 Legend a look. It too is a barrel (and magazine) swap - and opens up hunting options (depending on your state), and is supposed to have some subsonic ammo coming as well. As a bonus you have good reloading data, and a fair number of factory ammo options in a pinch. For hunting, it idled the 444 Marlin, 44 mag, and 6.8 for me. I still have .308's, but unless I'm shooting over a beanfield, the 350 Legend is good enough for realistic hunting ranges.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up shooting 90gr Sierra's from my palmetto state SPCII. They just work well in it for me for deer... I looked at the .277 Wolverine as well. What killed the Wolverine for me was the limited barrel makers, cost of dies, limited reload data,, and I had to honestly ask myself, "what am I gaining by this?" I live in Ohio, and its a straight-wall cartridge state. I ended up getting a 350 legend upper. At realistic deer distances for me (150 yards and in) - I'd give the 350 Legend a look. It too is a barrel (and magazine) swap - and opens up hunting options (depending on your state), and is supposed to have some subsonic ammo coming as well. As a bonus you have good reloading data, and a fair number of factory ammo options in a pinch. For hunting, it idled the 444 Marlin, 44 mag, and 6.8 for me. I still have .308's, but unless I'm shooting over a beanfield, the 350 Legend is good enough for realistic hunting ranges.
The years of living in the northern states of the Midwest, I remember quite well. To this day, I’ve probably harvested more white tailed deer in Michigan with a 12 gauge slug than all other methods since combined. Should I ever move back there, I’ll keep your 350 Legend in mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
True, that is another promising cartridge. In the interest of minimizing bolts, I’m looking to keep within the 5.56 and 6.8 case rim sizes.
Hard to beat the 6.8, many are using on hogs down here. It hits them hard. Buddy likes the 6.5g but the 6.8 seems to hit the hogs harder then the Grendel. I'm not complaining, it just thumps them.

Reactions: DeltaEchoUSMC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, There's always some new whiz bang cartridge that claims to be the best thing ever.
Yep, look at the .224 valkyrie. Couple guys jumped on it right out at the start. They are not happy with it and have went heavy to the 6.5 creedmoor now.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Yep, look at the .224 valkyrie. Couple guys jumped on it right out at the start. They are not happy with it and have went heavy to the 6.5 creedmoor now.
The problem with a lot of new AR cartridges is having everyone involved making reamer's, barrel's, twist rates, brass, dies, etc., that's all the same dimensions.

That's the main reason that the 224 Valkyrie failed at becoming a success. Everyone was making components with different specs, and then the people that bought / built one had nothing but issues with them.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
6.8 is about the best combat rifle cartridge on earth, same stopping power as 7.62x39 Russian, but works reliably in an AR15. I live my AK, but it will never have the tactical ergonomics of an AR15. .277 wolverine is another wildcat that nobody will remember in 3 weeks. If you want a .277 bullet that performs, check out the hot new .270 Winchester LOL!

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
6.8 is about the best combat rifle cartridge on earth, same stopping power as 7.62x39 Russian, but works reliably in an AR15. I live my AK, but it will never have the tactical ergonomics of an AR15. .277 wolverine is another wildcat that nobody will remember in 3 weeks. If you want a .277 bullet that performs, check out the hot new .270 Winchester LOL!
Actually the 277 Wolverine has been quite popular for many years.
Mad Dog Weapon Systems invented it, and they also have several other wildcat cartridges for the use in AR-15's.
You can buy factory ammo as well as head stamped brass for the 277 Wolverine, so it really isn't going to disappear anytime soon.

https://www.maddogweapons.com/277-wolverine.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
We do have reliably 7.62x39 AR's now, very reliably. There were problems with them and it took a little time to get them right, but the 7.62x39 AR's are fine now. If you have one that you are having problems with, let me know, been through the grinder on that one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Five, six plus years ago, I went through the meat grinder with a good friends, AR762x39. It FTF, FTE Jammed, did not work! It worked about 10% of the time. He told me that he did not want to see it again if it didn't work, but I did keep him in the loop and we got it fixed.

I knew who the big fish were in the AR762x39 pond and I got in contact with them for help. They were working out all these problems with the AR762x39 at the time that my friend and I were having them. It was those guys that showed me how to fix all the problems, but I did learn a lot and I am trying to pass on some help to get people up and going.

We recut the M4 feed ramps so they worked with the 762x39, which fixed some of the problems. We used a extended firing pin, which fixed some of the problems. We used Wolf heavy hammer spring, which fixed some of the problems. I did know Larry at LCJ Wholesalestore and he was my in to CPD. He got us changed from 556 mags over to CPD 762x39 magazines and that was the last hole to fill. That rifle is fixed; it will run everyday, any day, all day with Tula, Wolf, Red Army, everyones ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
We do have reliably 7.62x39 AR's now, very reliably. There were problems with them and it took a little time to get them right, but the 7.62x39 AR's are fine now. If you have one that you are having problems with, let me know, been through the grinder on that one.
Not me personally, but I know people who complain about them constantly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not me personally, but I know people who complain about them constantly
If they are having problems, it is most likely one or more of the issues that we did to my friends. I forgot to add in that list, I put a Spikes T2 buffer in it, that helped also.

Reactions: BullMoose429

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
If they are having problems, it is most likely one or more of the issues that we did to my friends. I forgot to add in that list, I put a Spikes T2 buffer in it, that helped also.
It’s a PSA- do you know what the issues tend to be with them?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s a PSA- do you know what the issues tend to be with them?
Are we talking about the old PSA AR762x39's or the new KS47 thing that they switched to?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts