Firearms Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
gunsandoptics.com

IF your main reason for buying the rifle is to hunt whitetails, the .270 WSM is a superb long range whitetail rig. For that matter, so is the .270 Winchester as made famous by Jack O'Conner years ago. I own the .270 Win and am very happy with it. Mine is in Ruger Mdl 77 (synthetic/stainless version) and shoots both 150 grain and 130 grain slugs very well. It does NOT like 140 grain anything, however the 130 and 150 slugs fill the bill.

Were I looking for a rifle specifically for whitetails, east, west, north or south, I would choose the .270 WSM. If I planned a trip to the Canadian provinces every year, I would probably lean toward the .300 WSM. The whitetails up there are not the same whitetails found in the lower 48 for the most part. They are bigger animals and on the praries of Canadian provinces, you have the possibility for some very long shots and the 180 grain bullets give you an edge. I am not particularly recoil shy anyway, and owned a .300 Win Mag previously. Factory loads for either will be a tad expensive, but both rifles will do the job. You could use the .300 WSM on whitetails and other larger game also. It basicially buplicates the older .300 Win Mag ballistics in a shorter, fatter case.

Hope this helps, Dan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.