270 win weatherby vanguard s2

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Mitch_C, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Just bought a weatherby vanguard s2. In 270 win. I was just after anybody's thoughts on either the vanguard s2 or the 270 caliber or both. I don't have the rifle in possession yet cause of the cooling of period. I get to pick it up in about 20 days from now. Stupid laws

2. 375Holland

375Holland New Member

The 270 is a good flat shooting cartridge that you can feel pretty safe taking anything in North America with, I would step it up a notch if going after anything like grizzly or moose simply because of their enormous size and a grizzly's tendency to get mad quick. I've heard good things about the vanguards but never used one myself. I do know that it's a Howa action and they come with an accuracy guarantee from Weatherby.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Good rifle and caliber choice. Before going out and shooting it take your time to unde stand it and clean well. You do want to use a heavy libe on the recoil lugs on the backedges and sides and it would be good to follow a barrel break in froma a barrel company like Krieger. My not make it shoot better but will aid in easier cleaning and less chance fo coppering your new barrel.

4. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Thanx guys. I live in Australia, so bears aren't usually a problem

What do you mean by barrel break?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Mitch, Weatherby will provide directions on how to break in the barrel of your Vanguard S2. Break-in involves cleaning the barrel after each round for the first 20 rounds or so to prevent fouling.

6. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Cool. I'll look it up. I'm new to large caliber rifles as I only own a 22. But i have fired quite a few different large calibers but not new ones

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Mitch i don't think that either the rifle or the caliber are bad choices. both are great IMO. i own a 270 and have had at least one in that caliber for as long as i can remember. it does have a sharp recoil, but it is also very flat shooting and accurate. the Vanguard is a very good rifle and gets good reviews and one i would give consideration into buying. i think you made a very good choice in rifle and caliber. good luck and enjoy it.

8. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Cool. Sounds like I made a good choice. Can't wait till I pick it up.

9. Mitch_C

Mitch_C New Member

Does anybody have any hints on what grain ammunition I should use. I will be shooting. Feral cats, foxes, rabbits, up to pigs hopefully. Oh and a bit of target shooting at as far away as possible. (I'm trying to learn/practice a bit of long range shooting).

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

130 grain for small stuff, cats, moles, rats, ect 150 grain for deer size critters by crocky

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Also if you dont reload then go with quality ammo like hornaday, nosler custom, stay away from the cheap crap like the green box ya know, remmy cor locks ect.