.270 Win. or .270 WSM..Need Opinions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by WhiteWolf4, Nov 23, 2008.

1. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

Need some opinions on the above .270 Win and .270 WSM for hogs and deer size game??? Pros and cons on reloading and such....WhiteWolf

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Really, the only benefit of the WSM over .270 Win is the shorter bolt throw.

3. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

Thanks for the info, mattg...I guess it would send it down range a little faster, but would it be worth the expense, I wonder....WhiteWolf

4. matt g

Ballistics, velocities and terminal ballistics are similar between a given load and it's WSM or WSSM counterpart. The differences are so little that it really just boils down to a shorter action.

I was considering a .300 WSSM and after some research, came to this conclusion.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have to agree. You are getting, what, about 150+/- feet per second of a .270 versus a .270WSM in the same length barrel? Allegedly it shoots flatter, but are you really taking 800 yard shots on game?

The barrel life in any of the small caliber, magnum driven rounds is definitely less than their long action counterparts - so that is a consideration.

Wolf - as we have discussed, I think you are fine with a .270 for your applications. The .243 is another good cartridge - though the .270 hits a bit harder and has a better chance with a larger deer sized game, there is no reason a good marksmen with a .243 couldn't bring down the same animal.

It all comes down to preference, but in my opinion, you can't go wrong with a good .270 for just about every field application in medium and smaller animals of all kinds.

JD

6. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

I think you're both right....With what I'm hunting, the short bolt throw will not give me that much speed(which I don't need)...And longer barrel life would be a must...I would have no need to be making even a 400 yd shot in mississippi....WhiteWolf

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Another thing to consider is availablity of ammo. If a store carries ammo it will usually have .270 Win., but alot of them won`t have .270 WSSM. If you shoot only your own load that won`t matter much.

8. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

I went with the .270 Win....It should be here monday or tuesday...Sorry, been stuck in Austin, Tx over the holidays....WhiteWolf

9. matt g

What rifle? I have quite a bit of experience with .270 Win. My dad's Winchester Model 70 (pre '64 no less) provided us with tens of thousands of pounds of meat while I was growing up.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  10. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

Hello matt,
    Ordered a Weatherby Vanguard .270....It should be in sometimes monday or tuesday.....Gonna go with a Leupold scope...Was looking at the Mark 2 Hunter...Any comments on that particular scope...

http://leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-2-riflescopes/mark-2-3-9x40mm-hunter/

Need some opinions here...This is my first adventure with bolt action rifles...So, knowledge is a little short around here....WhiteWolf4

11. matt g

Nice rifle. Did you go synthetic or wood?

Honestly, I'd avoid anything tactical unless you need it. It tends to complicate things. You might want to look at the less expensive Leupold lines like the VX-II 3-9x50. It'll cost about $100 less, but it'll get you a larger objective and essentially the same glass. Also, it can be had without the complicated tactical reticles.

If you've got a huge 12x12 elk in your crosshairs, do you want to dial things in quickly and take the shot, or be forced to second guess big knobs and an odd reticle?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  12. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

Hmmm, I'll take your advice and take a look at the other scope...Saving $100 would be nice...Thanks...That's the kind of knowledge I need...I went synthetic...I like the idea of synthetic for hunting....

13. matt g

You save $100, get a centimeter larger objective, you get more zoom, you get the same quality glass and same warranty, but you lose the complicated "tactical" features.

Tactical things are generally useless, even for those in tactical situations. They become so specialized that the average person has no use for them. If you don't need to take life or death shots at varying ranges with little or no thought on a daily basis, avoid tactical scopes.

If you're going to pop a bull elk and a couple of deer every year, the VX-II line is plenty of scope.

14. DKA

DKA New Member

Vanguard is a good decision, I have one in 30 06 and love it, and planning to get one in 25 06. Varixll is a good decision on the glass. Great setup.

15. WhiteWolf4

WhiteWolf4 New Member

Thanks DKA for the info...WhiteWolf