.270 vs .308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by glockenstein, Mar 20, 2012.

1. glockenstein

glockenstein New Member

Am going to add another rifle to complement my Mini14. I have pretty well settled on a Savage Axis.
    I will scope it with a Nikon Coyote 4x14 w/BDC.
    My dilemma is this: Most of my shooting with this will be target , ranging from 100-500 yds. There is the possibility of a hunt next year. Prey TBD.
    What are the trade-offs between .270 & .308?
    I have had both recommended by my shooting buds, for various reasons.
    I would appreciate any input from the knowledgable folks that contribute to this site.
    Thanks, and good day to all!

2. hmh

hmh New Member

Split the difference .270 wsm have one love it. The downside is cost of rounds and you need yo let it cool between shots.

Attached Files:

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm a .308 fan just because I'm a short action guy but I've heard good things about the .270

4. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

A .308 can handle a little bigger bullets, providing a little more power up close. A .270 has a higher ballistic coefficient and a higher muzzle velocity, giving it more energy down range, less wind drift, and a flatter trajectory.

Now I can only speak on my experience, but I've seen a lot of elk taken with a .270. I've never seen one taken with a .308. It's been my experience that a .270 is much better handling our "out west" distances.

I think I'll stick with Jack O'Conner and the .270. Step it up to a 30-06 and we have a debate.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm a big and of the 30-06, so I would go with the 270. They are really simular, but the 270 shoots a little flatter (just a little). Both are extremely accurate, long range rounds that can pack a hell of a punch.

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The .308 is also based on the .30-06 case, just shortened. I would not compare the 308 to the 270. One is for a long action and the other is for a short action. The two should be separated into two separate genres. Then you could compare the 243, the 7mm-08, the 308 and the 358. You could then compare the 270 to the 30-06, the 280, and the 35 whelan.
    cottontop

7. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

I thought the parent of the 308 was the 300 savage? Not arguing just want to learn.

8. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

I always heard its parent is the .30-06, or rather it's based on it. Don't quote me on it though.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

History 101: 7x57, 8x57, .30-06, 270, .308, .35Whelan.
    They all use the same case head dimensions. 7x57 was the Grand daddy, 8x57 came next. The U.S. copied the round and rifle for the 1903 and .30-06. Not a bad place to start.

.270 is not superior to the .308. They are very different. Both have sufficient energy to kill elk at 300 yards. You hear guys boasting the .270 is a 500 yard Elk slayer, just not true. I kinda chuckle when I hear "western distances". I took my 1st Elk and 1st Muley w/ a 12ga slug gun at no more then 30 yards w/ open sights. That is called hunting here in the East! Both were taken in the Colorado Rockies.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  10. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Thanks for the facts, I never really thought about where the .30-06 came from. (Weird huh?) I agree neither caliber is better than the other. I also think it's funny how people out west think they have to shoot from so far away. Half the fun of the hunt is getting close and staying silent. There is nothing like the feeling of detecting an animal before they detect you and stating quite and concealed to take the shot. Sure, you can shoot better and farther than me, but can you stay quieter?

11. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

You can laugh all you want, but my first deer was 400 yards. My second was 50. My third was 600. My first elk was at 30. My second was 300. So laugh all you want, you easterners can keep your "slug guns." Us riflemen are happy out here, and are prepared for any range. Half the fun is sneaking up? Spend a week stalking antelope and then come talk to me.

12. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

It's six of 1, half dozen of the other. They both have their ups and downs. It's really personal preference as do you want a long action with a smaller selection of bullets or a short action with a wider range of grain weights and an unlimited supply of brass and it's been researched to death. Good luck

13. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

No, I am not saying y'all can't hunt, I'm just saying I like my style of hunting while you like yours. I like the challenge of being absolutely silent while watching the game I am hunting. There is no way in he!! I could make a 600 yard shot, mostly because lack of practice past 100 yards. What you do takes skill too. So in your style of hunting, which would you use, a .270 or .308? I like the .308 for my purposes because it hits harder at close range with a bigger bullet.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I live in missouri but hunt out west alot. I have snuck up w in easy bow distance of just about every game animal out there except a damn prairrie goat. Id take either of them two but id prefer the 270 just bc long action fits me better and thats what im used to. Id rather have a 7 mag or my warbird though. Ya stealth is a good thing but so is the ability to shoot long range in constant 25 mph wind that is swirling do to geographical oddities.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

15. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Fair enough. Just trying to tell you were I come from. Not offense intended. I never been back east, I usually play on the rolling sagebrush hills. if I get a 200 yard shot on a mulie, I feel a little spoiled.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Dang skippy....although i have killed 2 mulies w a bow and that was tough.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

No laughing, just my experience. Never interned to Piss in your Cheerios. I was told it could not be done, proved it wrong. Speed goat hunting is fun, not really something that floats my boat. So if I show up at your doorstep w/ my 7mmRemMag, would you go? I might have to bring a N04mk1/3 Enfield to prove a point though.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Quick question for everyone. If this subject (and many like it) have been beat to death, why don't we just create a sticky with a list of every (at least somewhat) common caliber, and list the general stats, pros, and cons of each? Wouldn't that mostly put an end to the caliber vs caliber thing?

19. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

I would feel spoiled out here too. That's far enough away so they can't hear you, but close enough for me to make a decent shot, with practice of course.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Imagine what its like to shoot two mule deer before the muzzle blast of the first shot reaches em. At 350 yards it takes two seconds for the sound to reach the target. In that time i can have fired and been back on target and fired again to score another kill shot at that same distance.