.270, good or not

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sgtdeath66, May 16, 2012.

1. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

im thinkin about buyin a mossberg model 100 in .270. my ? is does any1 here have this rifle or have any exp with this rifle?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i had one in 30-06 and was a decent rifle with very good accuracy out of reloads. problem i faced with it was recoil. i do more target shooting than hunting. lot of the felt recoil i believe is from the stock. for a hunting rifle, it would be a great rifle, but mine was just brutal in recoil compared to any other 30-06 i have ever owned. the 270 is an excellent caliber, but has some sharp recoil also. so i venture to say the 270 in the Mossberg will probably be pretty close in felt recoil. for a decent, accurate budget hunting rifle, yes i would recommend it.

3. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

hows the accuracy? what kinda groups can i expect to see?

4. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

All my rifles are heavy, maybe 11 lbs and up. I had a Win Model 70 Featherweight in 270 and that gun let out crack and jumped all over. I ended up trading it. I would find a way to shoot the gun you want, at least shoot a gun the same weight in the caliber you want. Talk with the gun dealer about who has one or maybe trying a used one. I was never happy with the Featherweight I had.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Ruger M77 in .270 Win, it is a good rifle in a great all around caliber. Recoil is mild. I have put lots of venison in the freezer with my M77 .270.

6. lucznik

lucznik New Member

The .270 never has struck my fancy. It won't do anything that I can't do with my 7-08 and it requires a long action gun which is longer and heavier to carry.

7. MWballistic

MWballistic New Member

.270 is capable of anything you need in the lower 48 aside from a big bear or moose. Ammo is fair in price, most certainly if you reload. Flat and fast is easily obtainable. M77 ruger top notch for the price. unfamiliar with Mossberg. I would say yes to the .270 for an all around good caliber to own.

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I don't see how you could go wrong with a 270. Honestly I don't know much about mossberg rifles though.

9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I also have one in 30-06 and yes the recoil is more than some 30-06's but for the weight of the gun its a great hunting rifle. Get the mossberg in .270 you wont regret it.