.264 win mag info

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by elk-acholic, Nov 16, 2011.

1. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Hey, I'm looking about getting a .264 win mag because of it's flat shooting with bullets with high BCs. The gun that I'm looking at has a 9 twist barrel on it. Berger bullets (what I would be shooting through this gun) has a recommend twist of 8. Can I shoot them through this gun accurately or should I forget about this gun. (oh when I mean accurately I mean .5 moa at 1000 yards)

2. billt

billt New Member

.5 MOA translates into 5 inch groups at 1,000 yards. You are being completely unrealistic expecting this kind of accuracy from any type of hunting rifle, regardless of caliber. Bench rest shooters firing custom made rifles costing thousands of dollars struggle to achieve that degree of accuracy.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

.5 moa at 1000 yea thats a tall order from anthing less than a very high end rifle. spend the bucks an get the trigger time, not an easy task but can be done

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If this is a used rifle it may have a well eroded throat in it all ready. The 264 mags were not great for very long even when new. Have a smithy bore scope it and if the barrel is stock for get all about longer ranges. beyound 400 or 500 yards will get interesting.

5. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

Yea magnums shouldn't be bought used if u do get barrel replaced with a Chrome bore barrel it last longer but cost more to get it done

6. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

The .264 WM is an excellent cartridge, and while it can burn a throat out quite quickly it will not if loaded properly.
    My .264 is an old (25 + years) Winchester mod.70 much used and still very accurate.
    While the .264 is a good cartridge it would not be my choice for long range serious target work, there are cartridges much better suited to this work.
    TGR

7. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Ya I'm looking at a new gun. Top of the line Remington. Remington advertises it as there highest quality gun that they make. I'm pretty sure that it's not a match barrel but I'm sure that it can shoot 5-8 inch groups with the right load and shooter behind it. I'm going full out with price not being an option setting myself up so I can make those farther shots. Nobody answered my question though. Will I be able to cheat alittle on twist by using a 9 twist for a bullet recommended to 8?

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

As far as using the Berger Bullets with that twist,just email Walt Berger at Berger Bullets.He will personally send you back an answer on whether he thinks it will stabilize his bullets.He will also give you load data for any of the bullets that his company makes,He's a hell of a guy!

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Better go get a custom for what u want, if u go all out, I went all out on a christensen arms carbon one custom 31 inch barrel, lop custom fit to me ,fully custom built gun. The scope on my 338 win is a swarovski z6 5x30x50 I can hit dinner plates at 1000 yards 8out of 10 shots, sometimes I can do 10 of 10, sometimes, but I also shhot this gun alot not a box or two 100 to 175 rounds every time I shoot. I use berger vld handloads

10. billt

billt New Member

What Model 700 are you talking about?

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

tgreaper Bet your 264 mag has not shot in its 25 years what can be shot in years worth of long range matchs. Thats why us guys that have over bored rifles that still shoot well after so many years.

elk-acholic Maybe you should spend some reading time at 6mmbr to see what it takes to shot long distance besides the rifle to just be in the small feild of play. Forget factory rifles for the most part unless 500 to 600 yards class match's. Buy your self just a desent rifle to learn how to judge long distance and get your scope and 20+ minute base. Your rifle rest and reloading eguipment set up. You can spend easily twice as much on needed extras then a custom rifle. OR go to savage arms and buy one of there competition rifles and be ready to go.Look at the 6.5-284 for one of the better long range cartiridges. But the .260 works well to.

12. billt

billt New Member

I'll put either of these 2, .300 Win. Mag. rifles against any .264 at 1,000 yards. Hardluk is right, learning how to judge long distance along with a 20 MOA base will get you farther than an overbore rifle will.

Kimber 8400 Police Tactical

[​IMG]

Savage 110 FCP-K

[​IMG]

13. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Looking at model 700 Sendero SF II.

14. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

Ya I know what you guys are talking about. I might go custom. I have looked at savages in 6.5x284. I would probably switch out the trigger if I did. I have done some research on these 6.5 and I think that I'm going to go 7mm or up to a 30 cal. The 6.5 are good guns but by the sound of things you are going to go through alot of barrels.

15. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member