26 Nosler

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rocky7, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

From what I've heard,Nosler is making the case from a necked down 375 Ruger or 404 Jeffery case. It's supposed to have a case capacity of 93 grains of water.
    That thing is going to be a barrel burning SOB,I'd be surprised if the barrel would last 1000 rounds before the throat is toast.

Faster isn't always better.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Well, I'd say it's a little early to rule it out as a "barrel burner". That's going to depend on more than just case capacity.

As for MV, some of us believe that - provided accuracy is maintained - more is better. Personally, I like to see about two feet of flame shoot out the end of the barrel when I squeeze the trigger.:)

Since posting this, I've read a rumour that the parent case is indeed the 375 Ruger.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I'll have to keep an eye on this. These 6.5s are peeking my interest more and more. Sounds almost over kill( assuming that actually exists) :)

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Considering the 264 Winchester Magnum's maximum powder charge for a 129 grain bullet is around 77-78 grains of powder,and knowing the small life span of that caliber's barrel,I'd be really suspicious of anyone claiming that putting even more powder capacity in a case shooting the same bullet would have a good barrel life expectancy.
    The 6.5-284 is a great long range caliber,but guy's that shoot it know they will be replacing barrels at least once a year if they shoot it often.
    And this new 26 Nosler is even faster! Yeah,It's going to burn through barrels left and right,even if they have changed the case design shoulder angles to 40*,it's going to flame cut the throat out of the barrel in a small amount of time.

6. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Well, seein' how I own a .264 Win Mag and shoot it often and tend to load 'em warm and it's been way over a year........:rolleyes: