25ACP mouse gun, how often do you use it?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by NYPD13, Jan 13, 2010.

1. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

I bought a FIE Titan a few years ago out of curiosity and since then it only comes out of the vault once or twice a year. Little 25 autos are fun guns but honestly how many of you use yours more regularly?

2. User Name

User Name New Member

My uncle has one. We took it to the range one time so far. We shot 14 shots through it and it jammed 5 times.

3. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Thats what I expected but mine rarely jams. I put 100 rounds through it the other day without a single hiccup. Not the most accurate thing in the world though, but can you really expect that from a vest pocket gun?

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

No offense but I wouldn't own a .25. I see no practical use for them-especially since you can get a .380 in basically the same size package. Sure I realize that any gun is better than none but a .25 is just too anemic. I'd be scared to carry a .25 in fear of having to use it and REALLY pissing somebody off.

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I used to have a Sterling arms .25 and hated it, darn thing would stovepipe just about every round. I now carry a Kel Tec P32 as my pocket gun and couldn't be happier with it.

+1000 to Stalkingbear.
    My boss showed me the scar where he was shot in the arm with a .25.
    It went in from the side of his forearm, just under the skin and stopped about 3/4 of an inch from where it penetrated.
    And yes, it did just p!ss him off, he was able to dig the bullet out with a pocket knife, but not before his knuckles got aquainted with his attackers head.

6. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

I just got ride of mine at a gun show for a AK47. When i did have it I used it 2-3 times over 6+ years. It was a jamming fool.:(

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Around here, we call them an "Oh sh!t" gun. You empty it at your attacker than say "oh sh!t" and run.

8. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I have heard many stories about how ineffective a .25 acp round is. You do not seem to hear near as many of those stories on a .22LR.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've had mine for 12 years. Inherited it from my dad.

Never shot it although I did buy some ammo a year ago.

10. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

I didn't purchase mine as a practical piece as most of the things in my vault aren't. I was just curious as to the frequency of use since I rarely see them at any range I use. Besides in matters of life and death a 25 in my pocket is more effective than a handful of lint and a 45 back at home in the safe.

11. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I have one, but will trade it off.

Since Ruger brought out the LCP in .380 - I carry it now.

[​IMG]

They are about the same size.

Very easy to conceal.

:)

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

.22LR is a far far far more effective round out of any gun than the 25auto. my personal opinion your better off selling it and getting a similar sized gun in 22LR 32ACP or 380ACP. im not sure why the 25auto even exists they dont even make good fishing weights.

13. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

14. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

My dad put in over 30 years in law enforcement before retiring in 1987. For most of that time he carried two guns. I guess he was carrying a BUG before most LEO knew what a BUG was. Both guns are Colt's, and both run smoothly. He may not have fired the little 25 much, but he carried it and trusted it as a weapon of last resort.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a couple of .25's. A Raven that was a gift about 25 years ago (It has never had a malfunction) and a Mauser Sidelatch that was a vet bring back from WW1. It works great and is fun to shoot.

One thing to remember about .22RF vs .25ACP is that the rimfire ammo is far more susceptible to moisture and "jostling". .25ACP is a scaled down version of .45ACP and has the excellent geometry of it's big brother. Most of the small pocket pistols that "jam" are because of poor construction details and crap magazines. They can be made to work perfectly with a bit of work. The .25ACP centerfire round is far more durable and less prone to moisture or other external influences than a rimfire.

That said, the .25ACP is an anemic round most suitable for intimidation or contact shooting in a last ditch effort.

16. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Unfortunately a friend of mine lost his life to a single shot from an "anemic" 25auto, so I chose to learn from that lesson and will treat any firearm and cartridge as deadly regardless of popular belief. Also by design a centerfire will always be more durable/reliable than a rimfire. I rarely see centerfire cartridges with primer strikes at the range but there are always 22LR's with one, two, or three strikes and or a damaged bullet left behind. I wouldn't trust my life to a 22 or 25 but they sure are fun to shoot.

17. Viking

Viking Active Member

My stepfather used to carry a cheap .25 auto when he and my mom were out rockhounding in Colorado. I felt that he needed better firepower so gave him a Charter Arms 44 Bulldog which he carried until after my mom died and when he was near death I asked if he needed it any more, he said no so I got it back without having to hassle with inheritance issues. The only .25 cal firearm I'd own would be a 25-06, which I've owned but traded for a Ruger 260 Rem.

18. JcashMan

JcashMan New Member

.25 auto?

the .25 round has simply been rendered obsolete by technology in general
    over the last 30 years. I guess if i could find one that wouldnt jam and get some magsafe or glaser ammo i might consider it but the .32 round is my favorite concealed light-carry round. My father carries a six shot .32 auto and my only complaint about most small .32's are the fact that the mags are usually not drop free. But with the right ammo for the situational needs the .32 renders the .25 just dead. Revolver fans of this ammo should definately try the .327 (patriot?) The company boast .357 power in a .32 size package, and my experiences with it show that and more!