25 year old ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by planenut, Sep 29, 2010.

1. planenut

planenut New Member

I was at my brother's house tonight and turns out he had some old 357 magnum reloaded ammo that he thought was for our dad.

I'm pretty sure it was some I reloaded back in 85 before I sold my equipment. I only reloaded about 500 rounds and it was all 38+p or 357 Magnum.

Anyway the speer data data tab says:
    3/18/85
    357 Mag
    140 Gr JHP
    H110 Powder
    17 Grs
    Win Primer
    1300 FPS

I can't wait to try it out.

What do you think?

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Holy Hell!! :eek:

Send it all, every last bit of it, to me for proper disposal ASAP! :eek:

You can't be taking any chances with that stuff. I will PM my details. :cool:

Only doing my part to keep a fellow forum Supporting Member safe and unharmed. :)

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

You Sir, are a kind and selfless man:D

4. planenut

planenut New Member

I guess you think it is ok if you guys want it!

Thanks

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He absolutely did not say he wanted it. There are only a few poeple on the planet with the training required to properly dispose of such ammo. Everyone I know is online here, now. Disposing of such dangerous explosives is delicate work. It must be contained in the proper receptacle and delicately disassembled one at a time. I happen to have three such receptacles. Correctly done, it only takes about 3-4 lbs of pressure to cause a small explosion. These explosions can be lethal it not properly directed and contained.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Don't listen to any of these idiots. Contact me personally for the correct method of disposal. Who can you trust on the interweb other then a man with the call sign spitty?

7. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

There all okay....I bought a case of paper hulled 12 guage shells for $4.00 a box which were mfg. in 1965 and shot in 2005. All went bang, no problems.:)

8. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

I have a S&W Model 27-2--6" barrel that needs that ammo to warm up to..;)

9. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Go for it. I am still shooting ammunition that I re-loaded in the mid to late 1980's. The ony problem I have had with any of this 25 year old ammo was with some half jacketed 9mm re-loads where the exposed lead tips had oxidized and the whitish oxidixed material was very soft. The oxide coated tips would be gouged by, and then jam up in, the feed ramp. A litlte work with some WD-40 and steel wool fixed the problem, now those old rounds are all gone, and replaced with freshly reloaded with jacketed HP's.

Other than that one problem, I have had no issues in shooting up my old stock in any of a dozen calibers.

10. planenut

planenut New Member

I'm looking forward to firing some this weekend. If I can work it into the schedule! :)

Now I'm excited about reloading again and have been scouring the brian eros site drooling over some Dillon stuff. Maybe for Christmas...

11. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

I really enjoy loading ammo. I spent countless hours loading ammo with my son and now I'm doing the same with my grand children.

12. planenut

planenut New Member

I shot about 30 rounds and it clocked at about 1250 fps. It was supposed to be around 1300 according to the old data but I'm happy. It was out of my Ruger Security Six 4" barrel.

I enjoyed loading some 45acp last weekend and got to shoot some of it as well. It is much softer shooting (as I had hoped) than the federal I compared it to. I will have to ramp it up a little more to make major power factor for IPSC though. I was happy to see it feed well though.

13. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

As long as it's dry and not swollen, shoot that stuff !