.25-06 Recoil Info.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ColdIron44, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

I've got a very limited amount of time to make a move on an unbelievably priced .25-06, the only problem is that I don't have any experience with this caliber. My question is if the .25-06 will be uncomfortable to shoot during:
    a) extended range sessions and load development (all day shooting)
    b) extended hunting sessions (ex. Prairie dog)
    c) deer hunting for an 11 year old

2. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

Simply put, is the .25-06 an all day shooter?

Thanks in advance for any input, hopefully I get some feedback before 9:00 AM tomorrow!

3. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Sure, I shoot my harder kicking 30 calibers for hours on end and I am no big guy. No reason a 25-06 should give you any trouble if you don't have any shoulder problems.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .25-06 is a fine long range Prairie Dog or varmint rifle. It is a very good Antelope rifle. :)

5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

It will do and kill anything a 270 will with the recoil of a 243.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I get some spotted bruises when I shoot mine all day, but Im just 117 pounds of totally awesumness :D

7. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Well if your a fly weight........;)

I have yet to meet anyone that complains about the 25-06 recoil being hard to manage... But there is always an exception to the rule,i f you dig deep enough... I just haven't arrived at that depth....

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I luv shooting my 25, just get some spotted bruising on my shoulder when I shoot it more than a box or so. I have a 223 bolt and a 222 bolt action as well, and the 25 is my all time favorite.

9. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

My Twin daughters weigh the same as you :D They too, are forces to be reckoned with when the get their on switches toggled. The Older (1 hour) shoots a 7mm-08, the younger is more into her pistols...

10. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

Thank y'all very much for the feedback. So here's the full story. I wanted to build a heavy barreled .243 to fill a 6mm void in my collection. Now you all know what the market's like right now, and I was having trouble pinning down EXACTLY the parts I wanted. So I swing by Cabela's to buy some powder (like I do every Wednesday) when I spot a beautiful Sako .25-06 in the gun library that was priced just right. Knowing very little about the caliber I posted my question (hence this thread) and slept on it. Next morning found me in the Cabela's check-out line with a completely different .25-06 in hand. I ended up with a gently used, but older and discontinued Savage 110. It's got almost a full bull barrel, AccuTrigger and AccuStock, and came topped with a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50mm scope on what appear to be some quality rings. Though I have no interest in the scope, I estimated this to be roughly an $1,100 package and I just couldn't resist the $600 price tag.

My only real concern now is whether or not the short 22" barrel will be able to completely and efficiently burn powder... But we'll find out soon enough. Saturday will find me at the bench with a box of factory ammo and a chronograph, mostly just testing the bore quality. If anybody has any curiosity as to some factory ammo they'd like to see chronied at the muzzle, just let me know.

Also, we all know that none of this REALLY happened if there aren't any pics, but who wants to see a plain-Jane AccuStock, when the Boyd's should arrive late next week?

Thanks again,
    -Tom

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I don't know, I kind of like the plain-jane look:
    [​IMG]

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

here's a link to a recoil table that you can use for comparison. weight and action type, ae big factors in felt recoil. there are other factors as well, but this will give you a pretty good idea of what the recoil can be like.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

13. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

That's a good lookin' shooter Anna. I like a good wooden stock, but I don't much care for these matte black synthetics that are so popular today.

Attached Files:

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If it has an AccuStock,and AccuTrigger,it is a fairly new rifle,and not a discontinued version.
    It will not get maximum velocities with the 22" barrel,but it will still be good to go. Try some Winchester 115 grain Silvertips with it. My heavy barreled Savage loves these bullets,but I don't shoot any factory ammo-I handload for every caliber I shoot.

I just noticed in the pic of the rifle,that it has a heavy barrel. How did you measure the barrel?
    If you measured it to the barrel nut/ action,and it was 22",then it is a 24" barrel not a 22". It is screwed into the action a good bit. That rifle should be a 110 FP in 25/06,and it was discontinued in 2008 I believe.
    It's the same rifle as mine with the exception,I have a LH action on mine.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thank you ColdIron. That too is a great gun you got there. I prefer the wood over plastic, but really appreciate not having to take my wood ones out when its raining like crazy. Thats why I bought this one as a back up.
    Weatherby 223:
    [​IMG]

Make sure ya post a pic up of your rifle once you get your new stock. :)

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I never would have guessed you were a lefty Tx :eek: ;)

17. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I have been itching to get a 25-06 myself, 6.5x55 recoil, 7mm Rem Mag trajectory, well regarded for accuracy and a solid reputation for putting deer down, if you are a handloader whats not to like.

18. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

My only hold up over the years is I don't like short barrels on overbore cartridges and my two go to gun companies chamber their 25-06s with short 22" tubes. I would have to go with a Weatherby, T/C, or Ruger to get a 24" barrel and I have ZERO experience with those brands. Yes I know Browning and Remington make a 24" too but I have had bad experiences with them.

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Eye dominance! I'm right-handed,but left eye dominant. I've been shooting LH since I was 6 years old,so I've had 43 years to get really good at it.:D

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What does that have anything to do with you being a leftist? :D ;)