243for deer yes? or no

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mule06, Dec 10, 2012.

1. mule06

mule06 New Member

I'm not sure what bullet to use in leaningtowards the 95 grn nosler

2. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

A well placed shot with a .243 will bring a deer down.
    Many years ago a record bear was taken in the State College, PA area in Bear Meadows with one shot from a .243. I don't know what kind of bullet or weight that was used or the range it was shot at.

3. mule06

mule06 New Member

I killed a doe at 113 yards in Michigan this yr but It was a factory bullet and a sp I'm looking for better bullets and more load

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

get a good soft point bullet ,well placed in the lung / heart region that shoots accurately in your rifle and it will easily get the job done

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

My first kill was with a .243, 124lb doe, Model Seven. Good hunting round,

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The .243 is an excellent deer cartridge with bullets of 90 grains or heavier, IN THE HANDS OF A COMPETENT RIFLEMAN!

7. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The .243 gets little respect among most hunters but I have no idea why. It's one of the best deer cartridges out there. My hunting buddy started with a .243 and killed many many deer with it. Eventually he wanted to step up to a larger round and got a 7mm mag. He never lost a deer until he went to the 7 mag. :)

He always shot 100gr Remington core lockts.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with Locutus, definately 90gr or larger with the 243. we used 105gr BTSP and had not one problem taking a deer with a 243. 243 is and excellent rifle for anyone not wanting huge recoil and wanting an accurate round. very mild recoil.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Correct you are. If you have the discipline and patients to wait for the PERFECT shot it is ok. But why not get a 7-08 and do it right. Save the 243 for the varmints, where it belongs!!!

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Jim, the way I hunt, I would wait for a good clean shot even if I was hunting with a .338 LaPua. There's nothing wrong with bigger guns, but I don't want to put up with unnecessary recoil. I hunt everything today with a .30-06 and 150 grain Speer BTSP bullets at ~3000 FPS.

Folks tell me that it's too much gun for deer and antelope, and too little for elk and moose. Maybe.

But it's been many years since I had to shoot twice. Two moose and a bunch of elk in the last 10 years have gone down with one shot.

But, to each his own. I've used a 243 for deer and antelope in the past, and never lost one.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Fine, but I like the option of taking quartering shots and up hill/down hill shots at out to 400 yds. With the 'little guns' (223, 243) you don't have these options if you believe in taking the animal humanly. If you want to only take straight broad side, level shots, at close range so be it!!!:)
    Unfortunately (to the game animals) few have your discipline and patients.:(

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  12. peters923

peters923 New Member

100 gr spbt....

140 yards

first deer

Attached Files:

13. mule06

mule06 New Member

So it's ok for Midwest ?

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I personally rank it with using a 223. Doable but shot placement is key. No different really than any other caliber. I use 30 and 45cal bullets.

One reason i dont like it is they, like 223, dont leave a good bleeding wound if something hiccups or the scope is off a mount loose or you get stung by a bee when you take the shot. It makes tracking a deer on a less than ideal shot much much harder.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

.243 Win. for deer ? Yes & my Dad swore by 100gr. HP`s..............Never seen him lose one.

16. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

A friend of mine lent his 14 yo nephew his 243 for Pa. deer a couple weeks ago. The kid shot a nice deer with it but never hit vitals. He was complaining about the bullet because it blew the shoulder up and didnt penetrate. I told him it was poor shot placement. It hit in the center of the ball and socket. HE seems to think that was a perect shot. Maybe so but you cant expect penetration with a 100gr bullet when you hit solid bone. 243 is a great deer caliber only with a reasonably well placed shot. Hitting bone and expecting the deer to bleed out, to me , is not an ethical shot. Bullet choice and shot placement are critical.

17. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Please don't group the .223 and the .243 as equivalent rounds. They are not. The .223 is definitely a varmint round. The .243 is an excellent deer round. There are many differences in the two.
    cottontop

18. cottontop

cottontop Guest

To the OP: the 95 grain bullet you mentioned should be about perfect.
    cottontop

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I shoot federal fusion 95 grain sp and they work awesomely.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo...started my eldest son on a .243

The flat trajectory and soft recoil make it an ideal "first" deer cartridge.

Know several adults who still use it as well. While I lime the 30-06 for personal reasons, I would not hesitate to use a .243 on white Tail.

Tack