243 win. For hunting?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jersh243, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

What do y'all think about the 243 round for hunting? Too weak? Too small? Give me your opinions!

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What are you hunting? How big is the species in your area? How far are your shots? What kind of terrain?

3. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Whitetail, under 100 yards, it's Virginia it's different everywhere. Lol

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Use a heavy grain bullet with a soft point or similar and shoot away. No solids.

I use a 25.06 for most of my hunting in the lower 48, and within 100 yards your 243 will do its part if you do yours.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  5. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I love the .243 use it 99.9% of the time of NC Deer.

6. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Have seen a lot of deer killed with .243. Clean kill in most cases, compared to .308 or 30-06. Very capable whitetail round. Anna had good load advice and was spot on on doing your part! Shot placement is key for meat...
    Doe killed last weekend with a 30-06 on my land was hit in the spine and dropped immediately...basically ruined one side of backstrap, though.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The .243 Winchester is the only thing my Dad ever used, & I have seen him take White-tail at over 1/4 mile, thats around 400 yards................

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have my Dad's Browning BAR in .243. That has taken more deer in Virginia across a soybean field than you could stack in a dumptruck.

Heavy bullet, in the right place, never saw one move more than 30 ft.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am in NC. My 14 year old neighbor has already downed three deer this season with a 243 handi rifle. He carries a ruger 22/45 in case he needs to finish one off before he can reload. The kid is hell on wheels.

10. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

243 is a very popular deer caliber where I live (MN) for the younger shooters. I would hesitate to use it on the 200-400 pounders in the North

11. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

With a 100 grn bullet it is one of the finest whitetail rounds there is IMHO.......

12. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

I seen a video online of a Elk killed with a 243. matchin the projectile to the Game is the key.

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I got this off Yahoo Answers, the question was.
    What is the biggest game a .243 can kill ?

I live in Alaska.
    People here have used the 243Win on moose and sucessfully taken it down with one well placed shot. But - this usually happens when the guys main gun is inop and he grabs a back up gun - nobody starts the day with a 243Win in their hand going for moose. Black bear and deer sized game to caribou the 243 Win does a wonderful job.

14. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Generally Alaskans use some thing that will take down the aggressor as well as the target animal. Meaning in MY case a 30-06 for any large game with a heavy grain bullet as my first out, on locating my target animal that is extracted and the next bullet is used to shoot the animal and any followups, the big bullet is retrieved, and put in the chamber as I have now rang the dinner bell, it stays there until either the cleaning and hauling is done or until an unwanted guest shows up for the party and decides he wants us as his meal too (we cannot shoot a Brown Bear or wolf for attacking our downed game, only for PERSONNEL AND PROPERTY, the game is NOT property).

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

IMHO, this discussion as well as many others about deer hunting calibers (.223 comes to mind), comes down to a few things:

1) if you HAVE a 30-06/.308/.270 et all for deer, why would you not use it? because
    2) these larger calibers are going to deliver more killing force at distance and
    3) why would you not want to make damn sure you have enough bullet, both in terms of humane hunting as well as success at hunting?

I have seen plenty of folks use .243, but let's not start pretending it is as good a round as (30-06/.308/.270 et all ) for use as an all around hunting round, regardless of deer size, regardless of distance. You can take a deer with a .22LR, heck with a slingshot if you are a good enough shot, and close enough

My point? .243 is fine for deer if that is your only choice. Past 200 yards I sure would not wish to use that round. Between that and the 30-06 family, or the bigger magnum calibers? NO CONTEST. At 200 yards we are talking 1900 ft/lbs (30-06) vs 1200 (.243). It takes 900 ft/lbs (some say as much as 1100) to properly penetrate a deer hide and do the damage needed for a quick kill. I like the sure thing myself

I would recommend .243 for anyone knowing they will not shoot past 200 yds.

16. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

The one important thing you are forgetting is how much easier it is to shoot a .243 than the thirty calibers. When I was helping a friend with his guide service I had to track deer for clients who were shooting 30-06/ 300's etc. They all had terrible flinches from shooting hard recoiling calibers. We had several people who came and shot .243s and NEVER tracked a deer for them. Don't get me wrong I love my 7mm and 30-06 and there is a place for them but I hunt 99.9% of the time with a .243. Sometimes less is more.

17. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

BTW a 100 gr Core-Lokt 243 is blows through both shoulders with no trouble---what more do you need from a deer round?

18. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents here if that's OK with everyone. I live and hunt in Kentucky where deer can get rather large in terms of body weight. The farthest I've ever shot at a deer was with a 243 at a bit over 230 yards with a cheap pmp 100 grain soft point out of a nef single shot bull barrel. This was my first mountable buck and he was pretty large in both body weight and antler on his head. The shot hit lung and heart and the big ol boy didn't go far at all, less than 10 yards or so.

For me, the 243 is one of the premier deer hunting rounds out there. I've used everything from ballistic tips to fused ammo and they never go far if anywhere. Accurate, low recoil and plenty of killing power passed 200 yards if you can do your part. A 243, much like the 25-06 will rarely pass thru (in my experience) and all the energy is deposited into the deer. That's the way I like it. I don'tsee the need in having a round that will dump energy iinto the dirt or a tree behind my dinner. If you do your part, it'll work just fine. I use a 223 with a fusion bullet and never had one take a step (maybe a jump). Just put the bullet into the kill zone and enjoy your harvest all year long :)

19. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

well KY deer are great-dane size compared to what we have 100 miles south of Canada (where I hunt). 300 lbs is not uncommon. That's why you don't see a lot of .243 it just is not as effective on the seriously big critters we hunt up north

20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The 243 is one of the best long range varmint caliber out there.:cool:
    It can be used for deer size game if you are willing to play by the rules!!!!
    1. Use ONLY heavy and tough bullets.
    2. NO quartering shots, PERFECT PRESENTATION ONLY!
    3. Short range shots ONLY, small caliber bullets lose their momentum/energy VERY FAST thus their terminal performance is limited to short range on larger game. (light weight bullets with low SP and BC).;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013