.243 vs .25-06

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by TheWhiteDeath57, Aug 4, 2014.

1. TheWhiteDeath57

TheWhiteDeath57 New Member

In my previous post, I determined that these cartridges are the best bet as a deer & coyote rifle on my budget. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both. From what I've seen, the .25-06 has better ballistics and has heavier bullet weights available for deer. Are a decent amount of varmint loads for it though? The .243 seems to be cheaper, but not as versatile. I'm looking at getting & H&R single shot with a longer barrel (Around 25") to get the most out of the cartridge.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Both calibers will suite your needs. The 243 has probably killed as many,if not more deer as the 25/06 in the USA.
    Bullet choice,and placement is the key to taking any game.
    I shoot a 25/06,and it doesn't like to shoot bullets under 100 grain,but 100 grain and up it will group in the 1/4 - 1/2 moa range at 100 yards. The lighter weight bullets don't group,they pattern like a shotgun,and I only shoot handloads so I can usually tailor a load to almost any bullet for my rifles.
    The 243 will cost less to shoot than the 25/06,and also won't heat the barrel up as fast as the 25/06.

3. thdrduck

thdrduck Member

A heavy barrel Handi Rifle in .243 with good optics will be capable of better groups then most people shooting it are. My son has taken more whitetail deer with his single shot .243 then I have got in my whole life. I vote for the H&R in .243. 25-06 is a great round, but as said before not as available as .243, at least not in my area.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can get 243 ammo almost any where. You can find good deals on Prvi Partisan ammo for a 243.

I was really high on the 25/06 until the past deer season. I was really considering buying a 25/06. After this past season I will be happy with my 12 ga, 7.62x54, 30/06 and 270 combo until I get so old they knock me out. At the point I can't handle the recoil I won't be able to skin a deer anyway.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The .25-06 has a reputation as one of the most accurate calibers ever invented. I cannot seem to load a bad round for mine.

Ammo availability can be an issue though. .243 has the advantage in this category.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

which do you think you would be hunting more of? deer or coyote?

if you were going to hunt more deer than coyote, i would suggest the 25-06. it can still be used with lighter bullets for coyote as well, but with a littel heavier bullets, it would be better suited for deer sized game.

if you were going to hunt more coyotes than deer, then i would suggest going with the 243. on the occasional deer, you could step up to heavier bullets and still be able to hunt deer with it.

my personal preference would be the 25-06. that was my preferred round years ago for killing coyotes. but i wasn't concerned with the pelt either. but if concerned with preserving the pelt, go for a head shot. plus i feel the 25-06 gives a little more edge at longer distances due to being able to use heavier bullets than the 243 is capable of using.

7. bradam

bradam Member

good news

Just get the .243 and the 25/06.:D

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I would still broaden my search to a .260 or .7mm-08. Why mess around with different bullet weights that change POI from POA. This way buy a box and use it for both. What you are asking is actually a tall order. Most varmint ammo is very destructive. It is also not suited for Whitetail. There was a comment in the previous thread and using mono metal bullets, not a bad idea actually. They are expensive, but would suit your needs and requirements better. again, using the same bullet for both. If you don't reload, it will get expensive very fast. A fun gun I use for both is a Clone 1892 Winchester in .44-40. Open sights are very good. Cowboy ammo is fairly cheap, good for 100 yard Coyotes and there is 200grSP ammo for whitetail, still fairly cheap.

9. bradam

bradam Member

I agree with, "broaden the search", but there must be an order in which the collection should start. 25-06, .243, 260, .7mm-08, then reloading. The reason being, baby steps buddy, baby steps. IMO:D

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'm not sure where the OP is??? Wait, Tennessee. Here in the Northland our Yotes are quite large. Pelts are worth maybe a bounty. Does the OP understand that to make a Coyote pelt worth anything it was to be peeled in a tube, no slit down the stomach?? Too many people have visions of $$$, but have no knowledge or skill to make it happen. He is not in wide open country. So, a .22Mag as suggested before could pay for a Whitetail rifle in short order and would be cheap to shoot. Then get a rifle such as a .308 that would be suited better for whitetail and ammo in all flavors is everywhere. This is not Arizona, no 300 yard shots will be present, or very few.

11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

My .243 has served me well in the TN woods. Great for deer or dogs.

Attached Files:

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

If I had to go buy one i'd probably get the .243 because it's just more common and more available ammo out there, and realistically will a 25-06 do what a 243 can't do at realistic hunting ranges? But then again I like the bragging rights of owning a less than popular powerful caliber.

13. TheWhiteDeath57

TheWhiteDeath57 New Member

I am planning on hunting more deer than coyotes and therefore I like the heavier bullet weights of the '06. I have been looking at buying a Savage 111 package with a Nikon scope. It is available in '06 and .243 and is in my price range.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i don't think you will be disappointed in that round or that rifle.

for coyote, use ammo with bullets about 85-95 gr. for deer step up to the 115-120 gr bullets. head shots on the coyotes if you plan on saving the pelts.

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Myself it's pretty simple... The 25-06 is the king.... 115grain Nosler Partitions are my preferred pills.. If making money from coyote pelts were my driving force then I would run trap lines and dispatch with my 22lr pistol with bullet travel across both brain hemispheres. PROPERLY preparing pelts is a time consuming effort. And for it to really pay off you need to show up to the fur buyer with several. And even then you have to have high end cold weather harvested pelts.

Now if pelting isn't a need, that 115 grain partition with destroy a coyote. All the while keeping your rig tuned to your deer load.

The 25-06 is a long range killer, in the hands of a good rifleman who handloads. Plus you can always "Ackley Improve" the caliber and really have something to behold in overall performance....

16. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I have that rifle in 308 my hog gun.......:D

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You mentioned getting a H&R, why not get BOTH ?..........You can get a Handi-Rifle & three barrels for the price of a GOOD bolt action rifle.

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I always wanted a .257 Weatherby mag.............with killer wood of course.
    Idea was to push 85 gr BT's so fast the coyote would burst into flame when hit ;)

Hell .223 55gr V max rips a good hole in a yote inside of 150 yards.

19. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

FWIW my yote rig is a .243 and IMHO it's a bit much.

[​IMG]

20. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I want one of them in .308 so bad. Bought tons of guns and can't believe I still don't own one. Great looking rifle you have there. Would be ideal for deer in a woods setting.