.243 uppers.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Zacsquatch, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

I hate .223... Just do, cant change it...

I do love my .243 with a passion, maybe its because it was my first ever rifle caliber (yes, even before a 22).. or maybe its just that I have killed deer, black bear and moose with it... I dont know, I love them...

I have been pondering a .243 AR build and wondering... Who all has uppers for them. I know the obvious ones.. DPMS, Olympic and Remington... Any others I should keep an eye on?

I have been contemplating a .260 build in stead.. but hell, may just end up buying a prebuilt .308 and getting 2 more uppers.

Thanks, Zac

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

3. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Not trying to be a smartass, but I have been running into a lot of people lately (mostly gun shop dealers) that do not know what calibers can be used on the AR15 and which can't.

Just for info the .243 winchester, the 260, 270, the 308 etc will not work on the AR-15 lower, you have to move up to a AR-10 lower because the round is too long. If you are dead set on the 243 is has to be the WSSM. An easy way to figure it out is if the round you want is longer than the 5.56, it won't fit in the Ar15 mag and can't be used unless you go with a single shot bolt style upper.

If you are dead set on the 243 in an AR15 lower it has to be the WSSM(Winchester super short mag). Might I suggest the 204 ruger? It is a flat shooting screaming round and it fits on the AR15 lower.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010