.243 for ground hog

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Ben91, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

I got a remington m700 in .243 with a tasco pronghorn scope. How good would this be for groundhog?

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Perfect!! Depending on scope magnafication.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Awesome, expesialy with a light 50-55 grain bullet

4. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Ive killed them with a .22lr so a .243 should be more than enough. I will admit it took more than 1 shot with the .22lr. Lets just say thank goodness for hi-cap mags.

5. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

Agreed, that will make an awesome groundhog shooter.

6. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

The scope is a 3-9x magnafication. But i only have 100gr soft point boat tails.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

They'll do it just fine.

8. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

Good to hear. Any tips for a first timer?

9. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

It is best with a spotter. At longer distances you want someone to call where the bullet hits. And buy a reloading setup-

10. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

I don't personaly have reloading equipment, but my uncle is teaching me on his. But i plan to get my own ASAP.

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

100gr SP is not a ethical load for those little furry bastards.

You want a 70gr or lighter hollow point to eliminate pass through shots. Basically, you want a bullet that will terminate in the target.

12. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

Something like the varminator? Noslar made those suckers to fragment on target. Sorry there called Varmaggedon.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Barnes varmint grenade, sierra blitz king...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYigC49tnh8[/ame]
    Maximum fragmentation in target.

If you don't giggle while watching that video, you're sick in the head.

14. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

How is a 100 gr sp not ethical,,,,,if they group I'd use them. I have shot groundhogs with the 100 gr. Cor-Lokt I deer hunt with and it blows them up.

15. Nozzlehead

Nozzlehead New Member

Ben, don't let these guys fool you! A .243 is the worst gun to use! I have a nice .22 semi auto I'll trade ya :rolleyes:

Naah, seriously, nice round. Load it down for ground hog and load it up for whitetail. Heck I read an article about a 9yr old who took their first elk with a .243...not that I'd recommend that. I personnaly know someone who shot a fair number of bears with a .243. Again, not my recommendation. Anyways, enjoy it...nice rifle and caliber!

16. nhk19

nhk19 New Member

Wow....I'm logging onto Black Hills website to get some of those for my .220 Swift as soon as I hit send on this? Thanks for posting!

17. Ben91

Ben91 New Member

I gotta get me some of those! Did you see how much air that prairie dog got? I didn't know they could fly. XD

18. Groundhoghunter

Groundhoghunter New Member

Tips, be safe know whats behind your target and enjoy .I would guess as you shoot more you may find yourself looking at possibly a higher powerd scope maybe maybe not. I run any where from a 8 x 32 power up to a 8 x 80 power scope . But area and temps will also determine alot of that . Loads it depends Last year a Killed a groundhog at 572 yards I find the heavier bullets do better at long ranges Better BC and SD. Get out enjoy yourself . I shoot a 6 BR I'm running the 105's but i'm striving for long range hits .Yes smaller grain bullets will be more explosive .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  19. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

When out small to medium game hunting. I usually take a 10/22 and some form of handgun. Often an m&p9 or Ruger gp100. And taking groundhogs with a handgun is imo much funner then rifle hunting...

20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Industrial dynamite is also effective on GHs/Praire Dogs.

I think you'll be just fine with your 243 and Tasco scope. I've got a .204 and I use it on everything from coyotes to rabbits & squirrels.