Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Barnes varmint grenade, sierra blitz king...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYigC49tnh8[/ame]
Maximum fragmentation in target.

If you don't giggle while watching that video, you're sick in the head.

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
100gr SP is not a ethical load for those little furry bastards.

You want a 70gr or lighter hollow point to eliminate pass through shots. Basically, you want a bullet that will terminate in the target.
How is a 100 gr sp not ethical,,,,,if they group I'd use them. I have shot groundhogs with the 100 gr. Cor-Lokt I deer hunt with and it blows them up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ben, don't let these guys fool you! A .243 is the worst gun to use! I have a nice .22 semi auto I'll trade ya :rolleyes:

Naah, seriously, nice round. Load it down for ground hog and load it up for whitetail. Heck I read an article about a 9yr old who took their first elk with a .243...not that I'd recommend that. I personnaly know someone who shot a fair number of bears with a .243. Again, not my recommendation. Anyways, enjoy it...nice rifle and caliber!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tips, be safe know whats behind your target and enjoy .I would guess as you shoot more you may find yourself looking at possibly a higher powerd scope maybe maybe not. I run any where from a 8 x 32 power up to a 8 x 80 power scope . But area and temps will also determine alot of that . Loads it depends Last year a Killed a groundhog at 572 yards I find the heavier bullets do better at long ranges Better BC and SD. Get out enjoy yourself . I shoot a 6 BR I'm running the 105's but i'm striving for long range hits .Yes smaller grain bullets will be more explosive .

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
When out small to medium game hunting. I usually take a 10/22 and some form of handgun. Often an m&p9 or Ruger gp100. And taking groundhogs with a handgun is imo much funner then rifle hunting...

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,626 Posts
Industrial dynamite is also effective on GHs/Praire Dogs.

I think you'll be just fine with your 243 and Tasco scope. I've got a .204 and I use it on everything from coyotes to rabbits & squirrels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.