240 year old machine

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by string1946, Oct 2, 2013.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

That's pretty cool!

edit* [wonders about a futuramaesque hookerbot] ;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

2. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Droz was amazing. I've seen his automaton on different programs since I was young and they always amaze me. He also made singing birds for the wealthy.

And what's really creepy are the narrator's teeth. Woha.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's Friggen awesome! What would he be capable of today with modern technology...

4. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

That is amazing but I do agree it is kinda creepy.

5. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Just think, every single piece was made by hand. He sat at his bench day after day cutting and filing each piece. No band saw, no electric drill, no cnc, just hand saws and micro hand saws and rudimentary calipers. It's freaking amazing.
    I'd love to see the actual tools he worked with.
    Of course clock/watch makers were the high tech guy's of their day.
    But there's always the one rises above the rest, and Droz certainly accomplished that.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Thats ok, I didnt want to sleep tonight anyway. :eek:

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

His name isn't Chucky, is it?

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Wow. This doesn't creep me at all. But I collect watches. His legacy.
    What creeps me are marionettes and clowns. Pinocchio was written more than 100 years after Droz, and he was still using string.
    Of course the Italians spent a good bit of their time time perfecting some of the best wines in the world. The Swiss? I can't think of a single wine, off hand.
    Life is a trade off.

But I still hate freakin puppets.

9. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

You probably would t like this movie then?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWVwPldtey8&desktop_uri=/watch?v=AWVwPldtey8

10. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Ok Sbeezy, I watched about four seconds of that. All's I have to say is..you won't know when, you won't know where, you may not even remember why but I'll get you back k for that. :eek:

11. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Hahahah sorry thats just the first thing that came to mind. I'm also gonna go out on a brittle limb and say you've probably never watched Stephen King's "It". Now I remember seeing part of that when I was about 7 years old and it took me a while (years) to be okay with clowns again. I mean to the point that I was worried that a circus would come through town with clowns, even though I had never seen a circus before. We're cool now though.

Glad you enjoyed your present :)

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

That is truly amazing. Like you said, tens of thousands of hours sitting in a very small spot carving the tiny little cams and actuators would drive most people batty! Folks think the engineers at Apple and Sony are the most brilliant ever, truth is, they take a thousand people to design a device with the highest tech machinery ever imagined, this guy built this with a tool pouch smaller than my granddaughters backpack, all by himself, 250 years later, its still working.

Another irony is the Apple or PC product is always defective out of the box, they sell it knowing its got issues then fix it on day 2. I bet the guy who made this didnt show it to a soul until the day it worked perfectly, then the wows of amazement were worth the wait.