.22's @ 100+ yards

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hareebrownbeest, Oct 16, 2012.

1. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

I don't know about the majority but I like shoot my 10/22 scoped with a Bushnell 3x9x32 out to 100 yards plus. Not that I'm the best shot or anything but I can hit a golfball 9 outta 10 shots pretty consistently at that range. Why do so many shooters of .22's seem to focus on 25-50 yard targets? Just doesn't seem fun or challenging to me. I know about drop and inconsistency and the likes of the rounds but from what I've seen and read 25-50 yards is what many shoot for. Also I use bulk Remington "golden bullets" and CCI blazer (dirty ass ammo).

2. clutchcyle1

clutchcyle1 New Member

I've wonders the same thing myself. Seems like since the .22 is such a versatile round for plinking and medium distance, sighting it in at 50 yards provides the happy medium between the two. You can adjust your aim to go less than or over 50 yards without having to adjust too much for drop. That's just my take on it.

3. hareebrownbeest

I have seen videos of guys hitting 400+ yards so it definitely capable.

4. moron88

moron88 New Member

well, there are 3 parts to it in my mind; the first is practical use, many shoot at 20-50 yards because that's the distance they can reliably get 1 shot kills on squirrels. much farther and the variables raise the chances of an injured animal running away to die 3 days later. the second is distance availability, i shoot in my back yard and the only way to reach 100 yards while maintaining a safe backstop is to climb onto the roof and i know i'd get yelled at for shooting up there. alternatively, i can easily shoot from 20 yards and i can stretch to 50 with little issue. and third, some people just like shooting at shorter ranges. you enjoy long range shooting, i enjoy short range shooting. if i had access to longer ranges, i'd probably use them but i am content with 20-50. i do have some plans to build a scoped .22 with bipod and suppressor for some property-length shooting (max range would be close to 250 yards!) but 3 things are stopping me, i'm broke, i'm broke and i'm broke:D plus i'm 19, cant buy a suppressor until you're 21.:mad:

5. clutchcyle1

clutchcyle1 New Member

I definitely agree. Just depends what distance you want to shoot at. For most people 400 yards is excessive but if that's your thing, more power to you. Those videos you mentioned also show the lethality at that distance. I was very impressed. It's a crazy little round.

6. hareebrownbeest

What's with the age limits on suppressors? I for sure can't have one as I reside in Cali :(. I will be getting a flash suppressor though for my savage FV-SR. Long distance shooting to me seems more rewarding. I'm talking about targets, not live vermin. I'm confident though if I can hit a golfball size target consistently at 100 yards I should have no problem hitting a rabbit or squirrel at that range.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think Moron88 hit it pretty close on the reasons why. hunting practicalibilty, available range to shoot such distances would be pretty close to why many don't. personally myself i have the range to shoot 100 yards and sometimes do shoot my 22's at this distance just for fun. some of the bulk ammo isn't near as consistent after 50-75 yards and many of us aren't going to pony up and spend extra for match grade ammo for a rimfire.

8. topcat990

topcat990 New Member

just picked up a remington 541s and the fellow i purchased it from shoots golf balls in local club matches. they shoot offhand at 100 yards for a dollar per shot. don't know about the rules or match details but he is having fun. i have shot .22's over water at 300 yards and it is a boat load of fun if you can find a safe place to do it. targets were generally old boat tie ups. you knew a hit because no water spalshed. keep on having fun...

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i shoot mostly at 50yds.. its my zero. i shoot at 25 to have fun by playing games like tic tac toe, or shoot that tiny little spot. ive also shot out to 100. so far i have not found any ammo that i canhit consistanly at 100yds. ive tried several times and no luck my spread from 50 to 100 is crazy.. i can keep all myshots at in a quarter at 50.. its more like 6 inches at 100.. perhaps eventually i'll find an ammo that does it but so far not. i stillshoot 100 whenican tosee how it goe but generally .22 LR gets shot at 50 yds

10. clutchcyle1

clutchcyle1 New Member

11. hareebrownbeest

Hey...that's illegal! In some states;)

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

After sitting on one hill and popping pumpkins in a patch over 700 yards away by walking in the shots with a Calico M-100...
    (enough rounds per mag to do the job, eh?)
    I can safely say that even at 700-800 yards, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a .22lr, OUCHIE!!

Hrm...I better remind myself not to teach my Twins that, or we won't have any pumpkins for Halloween in a few years...lol

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve gotten 3.5 inch groups at 100y BR with 1435 fps Velocitor. I know it’s not supposed be that way but that’s what I can get on my good days with a Savage MkII. Someone suggested that it’s still supersonic at 100y, I don’t know. I went and tried the even faster 1640 fps Stinger, no improvement. My worst was with the subsonic Elay. I think it has to do with the wind. Maybe the slow stuff gets pushed around more?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  14. sniperjase

sniperjase New Member

I have a cz scoped up and moderated I only zero my .22lr in at 50 yards so I can compensate for 2-inch drop at 100 yards with cci subsonics my scope is a mildot of course so I just work out the hold over one mildot low and I am hitting golf balls all day I use my .22lr for hunting to so I will never try and kill vermin more than 100 yards its just not right and cruel on torturing the animal so one shot kills do count if you are a good shot but .22lr still can be dangerous over 1.5 km I did a test once at 200 yards in a field with a stuffed chicken wrapped in a old pair of jeans to see what will happen after 5 shots we was bang on target I shot 3 and my son 3 using stingers ammo we cleared the rifle and gone to have a look yes 4 shots gone straight through the chicken and in bedded in the fence so they are dangerous we then tryed at 350 yards and hit it 3 times again it was clear it gone through again please do not underestimate the power of .22lr

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Out to 100 Meters is easily doable with a .22 rifle or pistol.
    See: Smallbore Rifle Silhouette & Smallbore Hunter's Pistol.
    Beyond 100 yards things start getting interesting but with a bit of practice it can still be workable... to a point.

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have shot crows at over 100 yards with a 22. I saw feathers fly off the crow. I also saw the crow fly away. The 22 LR doesn't have enough energy to penetrate a crows feathers much over 100 yards. I don't know exactly at what distance the 22LR fails to have enough energy to kill small game. I would guess around 140 yards. You can see from CCI's own data that no matter how fast the 22LR bullet comes out of the barrel at 100 yards they all are equal.

CCI Bullet Weight Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards
    Blazer, .22 LR 40 gr 1255 / 140 1110 / 109 1016 / 92
    Mini-Mag Solid, .22 LR 40 gr 1255 / 140 1110 / 109 1016 / 92
    Mini-Mag HP, .22 LR 36 gr 1280 / 135 1126 / 101 1012 / 84
    Stinger HP, .22 LR 32 gr 1640 / 191 1277 / 115 1132 / 91

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

What you have between 50yd compared to 100yds or more, is PENETRATION on an animal. When you shoot a target at 500yds with a 22LR, all you want is to hear is the "TING" sound from the metal. You don't care if it's dead center or at one of the corners. You hit it, and you don't worry about if it's for your supper or whether it runs away. Shooting at 50yds you know you have a good kill with a 22LR due to the penetration, whether it's in the head or chest cavity. You can also see the targeted animal real good while hunting in the woods with this distance.
    Now at 100yds, you can have a kill, but it's more like a slow death wounding, but a kill is still a kill, while not being humane of instant death, and lots of crawling off of the varmint that you need to hunt for, and distance you have to travel just to find it, but you also need to remember this---you're having to penetrate the "fur/hide/muscle/bone"(head or ribs) AND the Dense Air" that slows down a bullet a lot more than you realize. Besides those little 22LR's don't hold that much powder, unless you move up into a "Magnum" or "Centerfire" type bullet, where you not only get more power, but penetration too, due to velocity and bullet weight. I hunt for food for Family, and I'll only shoot a 22LR in the woods or meadow areas as close as I can, and no more than 65yds as that's where I have my scopes adjusted for, as I want a "Humane" kill, but shooting at targets or metal just to listen to the "Ting" at 500yds on a calm morning, is priceless. Now as to my 17HMR and 22Mag, I have them scoped in at 125yds.
    Del

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your just mad you can't hit something that far away w a 270 little loan a 22;) that said I shoot 100 all the time w no problems. I'm using a tactd out ruger 10/22(reciever is only original part of it) and a marlin 39a.

19. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I have a 3/4" thick, 12" diamter steel disk at 100 yards.
    It's great fun to hear the 'ding' with a single hand hold on a .22lr handgun with standard target sights.

20. hareebrownbeest

I can't wait to get my Savage Mark ii FV-SR this Monday. I got a 4x40 mil dot scope that I'm going to try on it. Can't wait to put it up against my 10/22.