.22mag vs 9mm NATO

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tinbucket, Apr 7, 2016.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Somewhere, still packed away, I have some 9mm with a conical pointed, copper bullets, loaded to +P+ pressures.
    I saw another post the other evening on Ammunition forum where he had some German 9mm hollow point, solid copper 90 grain bullets Nato pressures.
    Over time there were several loading for 9mm in submachine guns, Lugers and other classes ,of stronger actions, of firearms loaded real hot.
    The hot 9mm +P+ rounds are my interest.
    First 9mm ammo is currently cheaper than most sources of .22 mag.
    The .22 mag 40 grain bullets are now downloaded to the 1900 fps raange from some like the former RWS loading of 40 grain bullets at 2200 fps and even 2300 fps in some longer barrels.
    Reasons for downloading I dunno but those kinds of velocities and heavier bullets really were outperforming little 17 gr and 20 gr 17 cal loads at 2500 fps and less.So cut the velocity so you can have reason for the .17 to be bought??
    Anyway a hot loaded 90 grain or even 80 grain bullet to NATO pressures or higher would be in the 1800 fps or higher range in a twenty inch barrel. IMO without through research, just opinion.
    AND 9mm is cheaper. Does anyone make a 9mmNATO semi auto carbine or rifle?
    Second I find no 90 grain or other bullets, than Hornady and Sierra hollow points which are not compatible with the idea or a high pressure, high velocity, coyote or plinking or serious business round.
    It would be great to afford ammo and be able find it.
    15.00 and more at most Retailers for .22 Magnum is and not in stock, is ridiculous.

2. Donn

Donn Active Member

Ammo manufacturers claim they're working day & night building bullets, and they are. But the 22lr and mag are at the bottom of the food chain. Larger, more popular calibers that generate more profit come first. 22lr and mag are finally starting to show up here, at more reasonable prices. My advice to you would be if/when 22mag becomes available at a decent price in your neck of the woods, stock up. Get all you can. Sad to say, there will be another panic somewhere down the road and who knows how the political winds will blow in November. Good luck.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw some CCI Maximag for sale @18.95 a box and told them to keep it. I can buy brass cased fmj for 20 cents a round. Steel cased for 17 cents. My Sub 2000 handles 124 grain NATO with no problem but I would really like to have a single shot or bolt. I suggested to Rossi that they chamber their single shot for 9mm. The long barrel gain is only 100-150 fps. There are rifled adapters for shotguns available up to 12" long but the 3",5" and 8" are more popular with the 5" being the most cost efficient and practical.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

9mm or 22mag? Both! :D The Hipoint carbine is a good bang for the buck, running about $300 new. I saw one in a gun store used, in like new condition, with upgraded camo stock for $260. Made in Ohio, and the customer service is supposedly respectable.

The Jr carbine is much nicer for $800 or so.

5. JTJ

The HiPoint Carbine is very under rated. Look like crap but they run and are reliable. The factory only has 10 round mags and supposedly voids the warranty if you use after market hi caps. Ideal if you are mag restricted.
    Most of the 9mm semi auto carbines are blow back so they do run dirty.
    The Mech Tech, that uses a stock pistol lower, are supposed to be very good but heavy. Plus point is it is only an upper so no additional forms. Minus point is you have to convert a pistol.

6. bbdude454

bbdude454 New Member

I picked up a brand new 9mm Hi Point carbine with fore grip folding handle for $270 and it's a good shooting gun. I would recommend them to anyone wanting inexpensive rifle. They are ugly as sin though.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My 9M carbine is a Sterling. Love it. I don't think they're made anymore.

If I was looking for a 9MM carbine today, I'd probably get a Beretta PX-4. Or possibly a Saiga-9.

8. JTJ

The Beretta is nice and is available for the 92 mags or the Storm mags. They are different. There is a conversion kit for them. Did not know about the Saiga. I wish Ruger would bring back the PC9 but for SR mags. The Marlin Camp 9 was pretty nice too but they have turned into collectors.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Marlin died when the NRA warned that it wasn't reliable enough for LE use.

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A nearby police department had a camp 9 with a red dot in each squad car... both of them (cars). They replaced them with ARs a few years ago.

11. JTJ

Hipoint now has an approved weird looking 20 round hi cap mag on their website. It sends you to Redball Sports.
    http://www.reapercamo.com/magazines.html
    Since I have a 9mm Sub 2K I would look at the 45ACP. 45ACP runs about 25% higher than 9mm but still less than current 22 mag.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016