.22mag vs .380

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by pluspforyou38, Feb 4, 2012.

1. pluspforyou38

pluspforyou38 New Member

i want to get something small as a back up gun. i cant decide between a snub .22mag revolver or a ruger LCP

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most rely on the .380 as the smallest caliber to have for self defense.

Rimfires have their place, but if I had to stop a 200lb bad guy...

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with dan, as there are a lot better alternatives to a rimfire, but in a bad situation could be better than a stick. a rimfire will and can kill a person is shot placement is observed, but in a highly stressful, SD situation, shot placement could go out the door and hitting someone with a rimfire cartridge in a non-vital area could have results that are hazardous to your well being. if looking for a back-up pistol, i would give serious thought to the 380, or a small 38 revelver. i have heard of people who have carried a 22 mag. revolver or derringer type pistol for a back-up, but it's not something i would recommend personally. for me the 380, or the small 38 would be the smallest caliber i would use.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

5. mayscat44

mayscat44 New Member

The 9x18 guns might be cheap, but the ammo isn't...but then again neither is the 380's...stick with 9x19