.22lr upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rodl, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rodl

rodl New Member

Has anyone here built there own 22 upper? I am researching 22 uppers and the good ones seem to be rather pricey. CMMG gets good reviews, but they are pushing $600 or more. For that amount of $ I think I would like to build one and get exactly what I want in terms of handguards and sights etc. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this process already.

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

That's an interesting question. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I have not seen 22 upper parts, only complete uppers.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Everything is the same as a .223/5.56 upper except for the bolt carrier group.

4. 762

762 Member

why not just get one of the conversion kits? you could buy a complete 556 upper and a cmmg conversion kit with a few mags for $600. PSA always has some sort of good deal on an upper.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

The barrel has to be different, too. What about the buffer and springs?

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

7. 762

762 Member

Barrel is fine. Very little difference in .223 or 556 barrel and a .22 barrel. The buffer and spring is contained in the drop in assembly. You can even use the same charging handle.

A conversion kit can be had for less than 200 bucks with a mag.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So you're telling me you can use a barrel with a 5.56 chamber to shoot a 22LR?

9. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Yes......

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Someone's gonna have to explain that.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

rodl,

I also looked into it myself. Then made a decision. Purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 and have been very happy with the decision. It has a Quad Rail and everthing I need to trick it out with accesories. And for around $399.00 for a complete 22 AR Rifle. And what is better it is extremely accurate with no issues.

Attached Files:

12. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

They sell conversion kit comes with a magazine that adapts to a 22 and gives you a whole new bolt carrier group that's all you need.

Google it

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

13. BRL

BRL New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMZVQ4ZgtE[/ame]

14. 762

762 Member

X2.....some good youtube videos on it. They had a kit on sale last week at bass pro for 150 bucks. Wish I could have gotten it.....I was saving my cash for the gun show yesterday.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ah, I see. They use an insert in the 5.56 chamber.

16. 762

762 Member

22plinskter, i think that's his youtube name, has an accuracy video where he shoots 5 different types of ammo through a 556 gun with one of the conversions.

17. BRL

BRL New Member

Bought my CMMG dedicated upper (somewhat similar to the shortcut posted) on e-bay for $419 last Dec. from a company located in Mississippi.

Mine came with the stainless bolt and has been very reliable and also pretty darn accurate even before I added DPMS free float tube.

You could get a conversion unit for your 5.56, and later swap out the chamber adaptor on the end of the unit for a collar and a barrel with the proper bore diameter and twist rate for .22 Long Rifle, but for the money I just went ahead and got the complete CMMG upper that was ready to go from the box. :)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...j4GwBQ&usg=AFQjCNE1ZBqYQXgc4BxlrSW6QlqAkJhnXA

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/32...alt-bath-nitride-with-chamber-adapter-pre-ban

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

^^This. Getting another complete firearm is better than a half :).

19. 762

762 Member

while we're on the subject of rimfire 22 AR's, when is someone going to make a .17 upper or conversion kit?

20. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Remington recalled their 597 and the ammunition because of the gun firing Out-Of-Battery. Ruger shelved plans for a .17HM2 auto after pulling their .22 Mag auto for reliability and safety issues. CZ stopped production on their .22 Mag for the same reason.

The .17 HMR and .17 HM2 is just a necked-down .22 magnum, but they both generate the same pressure, 25,600. Both have the same amount of fouling, and the .22 Mag case is at the maximum level it can handle, but the fouling of the .17 chamber can interfere with the seating of the necked cartridge. The necked cartridge should also cause a longer pulse, possibly causing the bolt to open in blowback operated firearms before it should. Cracked casings at the base have been noticed by some owners that may prove this out.

At the moment, bolt action is the only 100% safe action for a .17, as it guarantees the seating of the necked case. Some manufacturer may need to do some experimentation on fouling levels of powder and maybe a delayed blowback (HK Roller Lock?) action to create a 100% reliable and safe .17 semiauto.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014