22lr replacement?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hq357, Sep 17, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

22 lr use to be very cheap, fun, and easy to find everywhere even in gas stations! . Now its almost extinct and hard to find in my area (arizona) their only on the shelves for 2 days until the stores restock which takes about a week prices have gone up and my ruger 10/22 takedown doesn't see much action anymore :'( so im looking for a new cartridge thats cheap easy to find a round can be found almost anywhere and it has to be safe to shoot in rifles & pistols it cant be an air rifle because i want a firearm im getting an air rifle anyway so that dosent count ive heard of rounds like 17hmr and 22 magnum on the shelves quite often but i never payed attention to the price i briefly scanned my eyes past them and was just curios what other round can come close to what the 22lr use to be??

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I saw he shortage coming and sold off all my .22s and replaced them with WMR. At this point the prices are relative but the WMR is much more powerful and fun to shoot. I sold my 10\22 with a 30 round may at the height of things for a nice profit and picked up a Marlin bolt action and a river single 6. I love them.

3. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

In my neck of the woods, .22 WMR was more available in the beginning but now is rarer than 9mm. On the other hand I can usually pick up .22 by simply hitting any one of three sources near me. Depending on what they have I can easily walk out the door with 100 to 150 rounds and occassionally a bulk pack.

.22 LR is coming back. Some of the less in demand rounds are actually MORE difficult to find than .22 LR or 9mm. I am seeing a dearth of .380 ACP and .22 WMR. I can generally find .17, which of course I don't have a use for.

Supplies are starting to loosen up. It would help if people still didn't impulsively buy all the .22 they can every time it hits the shelves. I'm pretty sure it's Pavlovian at this point "Oh, .22! How much can I walk out with?"

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

All rimfire cartridges are difficult to find. When I do find 22 wmr ammo it's reasonably priced ($13 to $15) for CCI or Hornady. The Hornady V max with the ballistic tips are coyote killers. I wished Hornady made a 40 gr bullet for the V max. The 30 gr bullets aren't much better than a 17 hmr in the wind.

When the price of ammo returns to normal I would stock up on 22 ammo. The 22 LR is one round everyone can afford to stock up on. When the shortage hit I had close to 5,000 rounds of 22 LR ammo. I wasn't trying to stock up. When I see 22 LR ammo at a certain price I buy it whether I have plenty or not. You will shoot it sooner or later.

5. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

5,000 rounds is pretty good to have on hand. It's so easy to blow a couple hundred rounds at the range without even trying.

6. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

You will find the 17HMR close to the price of the .22mag. THe 17 HMR I believe is more accurate and a flatter sho0ting cartridge. I have a Henry Golden BOY and a Savage 93R in that caliber. Good luck .Cliff

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe BP shooting will replace .22LR for plinking? It takes longer to reload, stretching out the shooting session and ammo. If you run out of round lead balls, you can cast some without a enginerding degree. If the BP runs out, there are home recipes a brave man could use.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Nothing comes close to the price of 22 LR. Often $2 to $3 per box of 50. Mags or HMR's are always over $10 per box or more so basically you can shoot 5 times as much with a 22LR. But everyone likes what they like.

9. hq357

hq357 New Member

What is a bp?

10. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Black powder

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I shoot cast lead bullets in a CZ .22 Hornet rifle. I also shoot cast lead bullets in a S&W Mdl. 53 revolver in .22 CF Magnum caliber. It cost about $3.00 per hundred rounds. These are much more fun than the .22 rim fires. :)

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Sounds to me like you need to get into reloading and just blast away with your centerfires.

Expensive to get started, unless you do handloading, but it will pay for itself easily.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Well, we have discussed the shortage and esp. The dearth of 22LR ammo. I had about 2800 22LR late last year. Didn't have to buy any again until we got the wife her Browning Buckmark this past spring(got Two Winchester bricks at purchase), still have those two, plus some Federal 550's, and the Federal auto match 325's(one still untouched, the other just opened this week...)plus several 100 rd. packs of Winchester & CCI mini-mags..

We shoot (between us) between 200 & 300 per range trip. Still have around 2200 asst. 22LR., but I'm going to have to get a few more bricks before the end of the year. Compared to Centerfire handgun Ammo it's almost impossible to find. Have ordered some ammo from somewhere online each "Payday" the last 3 months. Only the Big 5 has been "re-stocked" the last two months and has plenty of everything except, you guessed it,..22LR..

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  14. hq357

hq357 New Member

Id like to get into reloading but i live in an apartment i don have room for the equipment wish i had a garage :( is there any modern black powder pistols and rifles? Id like to just purchase a pack of 1000 lead balls and about a pound of black powder and learn how to do it but all the black powder guns ive seen look like old rifles and pistols wish there were modern ones :(

15. hq357

hq357 New Member

This is usually what i find for black powder guns is there anything a little more modern?

image-2305435954.jpg

Too old school for me i like lightweight and accurate :)

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have not had the pleasure of shooting any black powder guns. I have a few late 19th century rifles, left to me by my uncle. I'm finally selling some of the collectible stuff that was left to me off. Can't afford the luxury of keeping them anymore, vet bills come first..

17. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Yes there are many that look like modern bolt action guns. But the modern ones are not made to shoot round balls accurately(wrong rifling twist).

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Ruger Old Army was a completely modern handgun. They are no longer made but can be found. These guns can also handle .45 Colt Ctgs. with a converter. The ROA will cost as much as a modern handgun. They can be heavy loaded with cast bullets or round balls. Triple 7 and other substitutes work well the ROA.:)

Attached Files:

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

There is no substitute for good ol' fashioned black powder.
    It will work in the modern guns (209 primers) but It's still crap.
    I'll never use it. I'll never suggest it.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Reloading doesn't have to take up a lot of space. If you get a handloading kit all you really need is a flat surface and a hammer. They also make handheld single stage presses that can be stored in a shoebox.