22lr questions walther and ruger

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JonM, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Discounting price which is a better gun and why. I'm looking at the walther p22 vs the ruger 22/45. My concerns are ammo sensitivity and the ability to defeat magazine safeties along with general reliability.

Haven't been able to find concrete opinions I trust

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Jon the Ruger is less touchy when it comes to ammo. My Walther P22 only like CCI mini mags. I feed it anything else and it pisses me off. I've fired the 22/45 and it ate everything the Walther wouldn't.

3. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I am partial to the rugers myself. The only downside is you have to know the secret handshake to disassemble and reassemble the damn things. Thank god for you tube. Its the only gun that I know of that you are required to buy a rubber mallet to take it apart.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

That is the upside of the Walther P22, easy to take down and clean.

5. TJB63

TJB63 New Member

I own both,

In my opinion the Walther is just a 'Fun Gun' whereas the Ruger is both Fun and robust, The Walther probably won't last a lifetime, Whereas the Ruger is something your Grandkids would pass down to their kids.

The Ruger can accomplish some serious Target work, The Walther not so much, There are tons of configurations i.e. Bbl length, Finish, Grip angle etc..for the Ruger, The Walther not so much, You can change the grip feel on a Walther and get an extended barrel, But that's about it.

The Ruger is all Steel with the exception of the Newer 22/45's with Polymer (Plastic) Frames.

One of the biggest negatives against the Walther is the Slide is made from essentially pot metal, While mine has been 100% reliable no matter what I've put through it, Google P22 and you'll see people having tons of problems with them.

The Biggest Negative for the Ruger is the take down/disassembly procedure, But even that can be mastered, Shop around and You'll find Rugers cheaper in price than the P22 - But the sky's the limit on Rugers and you can easily exceed the cost P22.

As a plus the Ruger is American made as that matters to some. That's the basics in a nutshell, a Plus for the Walther though is the Uber Cool look, But the Ruger isn't bad looking either.

TJ

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I own a 22/45. Awesome gun. It shoots anything you find. Heck you can pick up other peoples leftovers off the groud from last week. It just alwasy goes bang.

It is also the only gun I own (and I have a bunch) that I have to get the manual out every time I clean it.

I have not shot the Walter. But one time we allowed .22 lr to be used in a pistol competition. We were trying to increase participation by the ladies. It worked. Three ladies that were together on a team all shot 22s. Two of them were Walthers. They had a bunch af misfires. Both of them. Not sure how well they maintained their guns though. Everyone shot about 150 rounds. I bet they each had 8-10 misfires.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

I should have said I currently have a ruger mark2 target model but its very ammo sensitive. I'm prolly going to trade it in on a walther or 22/45. So I'm wondering how each performs. I like the feel of both so its really down to performance with a wide variety of 22lr.

I know the rugers are more accurate but its frustrating when a gun has to constantly be cleared of jams. My current mark 2 jams at least once per mag with just about every brand. So this has made me a little gunshy as they say in regards to the 22/45

I'm leaning towards the ruger but I don't really want to deal with yet another jamomatic. I'm going to rid myself of the mark2. I've got 6 mags for it and it doesn't matter which one it jams.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My 22/45 is ultra reliable. Probably more so than any other gun I have owned. If it ever just goes click, it is because it is a pain in the butt to clean so I only clean it every 1000 rounds or so.

9. TJB63

TJB63 New Member

Jon,

Try looking into the Browning Buckmark -- The one I shot seemed to be on par with the Ruger. When it comes to .22 pistols, The sky's yhe limited, seems everybody makes something in .22lr. -- of course there's always the Ruger Single Six , Slow to load/unload, limited capacity ~ But it goes bang everytime and eats what you feed it.

TJ

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

used to have a ruger single six sold it. not really a revolver person :)

the reason im going tween the p22 and 22/45 is both have threaded barrels for suppressors.

i think im going to give ruger one more chance.

thanks for the input guys :)

11. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

haha. I completely agree, and I've done the same darn thing. I didn't even know youtube would have such a thing. I just put something into google, and was relieved that I wasn't the only one completely stumped.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Jon,

We seem to be on the same page about a lot of firearms, so I'll just tell you how I came down on this. I just recently bought a Browning Buck Mark and love it!

The 22/45 is a platform I was interested in because of its similarity to the 1911 (grip angle, safety placement, etc.). The P22 is a totally different platform so I ended up discounting it for my needs. I wanted a gun that I could hunt with, if necessary, and have fun with at the range while keeping the platform fairly similar to my 1911s.

The Buck Mark has many of the same features of the 22/45, but just feels more high quality. Take-down is REALLY easy and just requires a couple of allen wrenches (I use driver bits).

I bought 6 different ammos to try and not finicky at all. I did, however, only use plated ammo (solid and HP). I don't want to got lead all up in there.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont disagree, ive fired rental buckmarks and ive liked em quite a bit. the disqualifying factor in this purchase for the buckmark is lack of threaded barrel.

my gsg 1911-22 has a threaded barrel but its the only 22lr pistol i have with one and i want a second 22 pistol to go with it.

i ruled out the p22 today. tried one out and it was too much like the sig mosquito.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The Buck Mark barrel comes off so easily I could imagine there being an aftermarket barrel for it that's threaded.

I'd love to get a GSG-1911...someday.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

tactical solutions makes em but they are 100$ish. making that route kinda pricey. as i would have to get the buckmark then buy a barrel. if i already had one i would go that way. i already investigated that when i was narrowing down my choices. with the ruger i spend 15$ a pop on spare mags instead of a barrel.

i wouldnt mind having a buckmark with a short barrel. ive always liked the old colt woodsman and i own a high standard HD military which is what colt copied. ill drag out the hd and do a range report on someday. i dont shoot it much as the springs are very worn making it very ammo picky.

i ruled out any barrel that was 5.5 or greater as that is the cut off for keeping standard velocity 22lr subsonic. 5.5 and greater is enough length for the round to break the sound barrier. it left me with the ruger and walther as i already have a mosquito that i dont need bad karma from foisting it off on some poor sucker.

i couldnt find any other 22lr that fit that criteria.

16. Werminator

Werminator Member

I recently had my first experience with taking a MkII down and it wasn't fun, but I would still spend my hard earned money on the Ruger way before the Walther. The Walther is cool looking, but accuracy, reliability, and USA made are all in the favor if Ruger... They have been the most popularly bought pistol of this caliber for a reason! That said, I have an SR9 which also has the polymer frame and, although a steel or metal frame would have been my first choice, the frame seems to be pretty solid and well made. That being said of a pistol shooting 9mm, I can't imagine the much lighter recoiling .22 would do any harm to said frame. Anyone know where I could find a MKII 22/45?

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You can only buy Ruger 22/45 Mark II's used. If you find one, BUY it. The NIB 22/45's are all Mark III series.