.22lr pack gun

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Jstrong, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Anybody know of a good lightweight takedown .22lr to throw in a bug out bag? NOT interested in any ar-7 type rifles. I like the Marlin papoose but can't find them anywhere,I also like the idea of a super lightweight minimilist .22 like the pak rifle. (Pic #1 attached) but price tag is $400 which I think is a bit pricey for what your getting,even if built solidly. I've seen a carbon fiber conversion for the cricket rifles (pics # 2&3) but those also fetch a price tag twice that of the cricket.
    I reeeally like the SA m6 scout but those are just plain to expensive for me to pay for a .22

Any one know of any other good rifles for a bug out bag?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Isn't that pak rifle the one that also turns into a fishing pole? That's what I'd like to have.

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

You are correct,I wouldn't mind having one at all. But the price is killing me even though the machining does look quality

5. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I just feel like if I was hunting tree rats for survival I would want all the stability and sight radius I could get. But a handgun isn't,completely out of the question... maybe one of these days ill get around to borrowing someones ruger mk series and see how I do with it. But I want it to break down small enough to put in the pack,which all the rifles I've mentioned do. They all happen to be extremely hard to find as well. You would think there would be more options out there for better prices considering hardcore backpackers and preppers would eat these type rifles up.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Kinda threw me by removing the AR but the earlier edition of emergency/survival gear rifle was a rifle/shotgun - O/U like the Savage 24G. I read about Alaskan pilots crediting it to their survival after going down. (22LR/20 ga). $250-400 breaks down easy but is not light.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

How about one of the little Rossi top break single shots? .22, 410, 20 g, .243? Price is moderate, switches quickly, breaks down to packable size?

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I having a hard time with this too.. I was offered a neat .22 for my old Winchester, but I cant see trading a 100 yr. old rifle for a .22 even if money wise it would be a equal trade.. Its called a Unquie model L, and is a pistol that can be made into a carbine..
    [​IMG]

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger or Browning pistol with a red dot or pistol scope. SV or target ammo. Very accurate at 25 yards and good to 50 yards. They will shoot regular HV well too but try different brands. No field assembly required. Get one with a threaded barrel if you are thinking of a suppressor.
    A Thompson Contender would be another route. 22lr barrel and larger caliber barrel for bigger game.

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Browning also makes a buckmark pistol w rifle stock and 18" barrel which is a unique piece and it should be a lot of fun to shoot. Buckmarks have a good rep and have taken some of Rugers 22 mkt share.

To tie onto C3shooters input, Cabelas has the Rossi 3 barrel set on sale right now, and very reasonably priced.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a link? I just looked and it was $349.

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

You might look at the Henry "US survival 22" 125.00+20 for shipping

wm_md_1482160.jpg

13. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Henry's survival rifle is a rebranded AR-7 and I've heard an abundance of bad things about them,so not a very viable option for me

14. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I vote Cricket.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

16. downsouth

downsouth New Member

17. diverdown20

diverdown20 New Member

if money isnt an object check out the volquartsen fusion maybe a little heavy

18. jyo

jyo New Member

Find a nice old Remington Nylon 66---very lightweight and thin.

19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The Pack-Rifle manufactured in Logan UT looks perfect.

I guess they developed this design for local backpacking.

$425 is not a bad price either.

I would want the peep sight on it not a scope. There is just too much parallax with a scope for close-in 50 yards or less shooting.

http://www.packrifle.com/contactus.html