.22lr jamming quite often.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by PANDEMIC, Mar 31, 2019.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

So pretty recently my Henry Repeating Arms Lever action .22lr rifle has been jamming frequently. As in every 10 or so rounds the bullet gets stuck with the rim of the round pointing up. And I would have to repeatedly dissamble the rifle and use a flat head screwdriver to take it out. I'm not babying the lever or anything. And I do have a snap cap in there as my last round.

But I'm assuming with a tubuler magazine the snap cap is what may be causing my bullet to jam or I need to operate the lever a little slower. It usually jams when I'm on my 2nd to last round. But I can't even enjoy shooting it without taking the rifle apart 3-4 times because of it jamming.

I'm gonna try giving it a detailed cleaning and lubing and just load live rounds with no snap cap and see if that fixes the problem. It shoots really well, chambers and loads good. Its just every "x" number of rounds it jams and I find my self fieldstripping the weapon to unjam it more than I am actually shooting it.

Any ideas? Or this a common thing with Henry's rifles?

Thanks!

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Pandemic
    IMO Just some thoughts!
    The rifle was not designed for 22 Plastic Snap Caps.
    There are a lot of factors that could come into play. # 1. "Plastic" the plastic is softer. They could be slightly oversized causing the Extractor to not grab the base of the case or tear it and not pulling the Snap Cap out. Unlike a Brass slick and smooth normal 22 LR Case with Brass or Steel Rim and for the Extractor to properly grip the rim of the case and extract it. If it were to be a feed issue. #2 Plastic would have more friction against the parts and loading mechanism or ramp. #3 Lighter which can cause the Snap Cap to want to jump up in the front when entering the chamber. The same applies to the AR. With Snap Caps or Frangible Ammunition which is lighter than normal ammunition they can do the same. And IMO it could be caused also with the Snap Cap being lighter could have an effect on the Tubular Magazine and Spring operation. I have never known a Henry Rifle to have an issue with the ammunition it was designed to operate with normal ammunition. However, they have excellent customer service and I would recommend you call them and discuss this issue. Let us know for our education as well what you find out.:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    big shrek, SGWGunsmith and PANDEMIC like this.

3. PANDEMIC

Well actually as a matter of fact after I posted on the fourms. I did remove the snap cap out of curosity and just loaded in 10 rounds. I cycled each one just at a normal pace. And they all cycled perfectly fine. No jams whatsoever. So you are right snap caps werent desinged for that particular rifle.

I may still give it a quick clean but this happened before even when the gun was cleaned/lubed so either way clean or dirty it seems to still jam (the gun was cleaned/lubed by the way before this jamming deal started happening.) And I'll put 20 - 40 rounds or so down range just to be sure. But it seems its definetly the snap cap thats causing this.

Thanks for the help 03!

big shrek and Sniper03 like this.
  4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Why the snap cap? Has my curiosity.

Chainfire, Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  5. PANDEMIC

I put it in last as a way to prevent accidental dry fire on an empty chamber that way you dont have to count your shots. But apparently I have to because I wont be using a snap cap because clearly all it does is give me jams left and right.

Before I had my AR, the .22 was my first rimfire and I was pretty cluless when it came to guns at the time. And not knowing the difference between rimfire and centerfire and also not knowing that snap caps even existed. I dryfired my .22 a few times and regreted it ever since. And now sometimes it still happens on accident, but its one of those "if it happens, it happens kind of thing". I try not to think about it.

big shrek likes this.
  6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Ahh that makes perfect sense. Most of my 22's are semi-auto and lock open after last round. Now and then that fails. Time to clean good then.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  7. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

.22 ammo is definitely dirty... A good cleaning will probably help

PANDEMIC likes this.
  8. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

The first weekend I had my Henry, I took a brick of .22 to the river, the trash on the banks didn't stand a chance, pretty soon it felt gritty as I worked the lever, looked down at my box of ammo and it was pretty much gone.... Fun day

towboater and PANDEMIC like this.
  9. PANDEMIC

It sure is! My bore was spotless and less than 10 rnds put through and it was already filthy. I'll definitely give it a quick clean through in the morning and then that should clear up any kind of debrie, I think now that the snap cap is out of the picture, a good cleaning should do the trick allowing for smoother shooting and cycling. I know a good cleaning/lubing from time to time for my AR keeps it happy :)

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Might not hurt to run a cleaning rod with an attached patch up inside the magazine tube. A little oil on that patch would not hurt anything. Just don't push it way up too far to damage the spring.

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  11. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

It's been around 12 years, or so, that I've been using a synthetic product called EEZOX to coat and clean all my .22 rimfire bores. Once treated, my .22 bores don't accumulate the amount of grunge that .22 bullets and burned powder produce. At least it doesn't stick to the bore as much as it used to. Two wet felt plugs through the bore, let it sit for 20 minutes and then a dry felt plug, and call it good:

[​IMG]

1911NUT, PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  12. PANDEMIC

Thanks for all your guy's help. I cleaned/lubed it up good this morning. And I also cleaned the tube underneith the barrel where the tubular magazine goes as well a bit since I rarley don't clean it because it doesnt make much of a difference. But over time it does get a bit crudy in there.

Went out and put 50 rounds or so down range. And they all cycled nicley and flawlessly. No jam ups, nada. So 03 was right, it was the snap cap that was causing all the rackus.

Thanks again 03 and you guys for all your help! :)

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Pan

Also just a thought! When you lube a tubular magazine. Lube it and then take at least 3 or 4 dry patches and run them through the Tube. They are better almost dry unless they have been exposed to moisture. But this will just leave a light invisible shield of lube in the tube. One should never leave them wet inside with lubricant. If one does, it is just asking for a buildup of debris of sorts. I have Marlins a Model 39A 22 cal. and a Model 336-C 30-30 and I do that too them about once a year following the above mostly just to protect the inside of the Magazine Tube from any rust. Of course, I have Desiccant Cylinders in one Safe and a heated Humidity Unit in the other one which also helps. Never had any problems and even shooting them have never had an issue after all these years.
    Glad you found out what was causing your feed issue.
    Enjoy that Henry they are great rifles and well made and in the USA!
    I have a Henry NRA Commemorative 22 cal.with the Brass Engraved Receiver it is one fine looking rifle as well. Won it at a Friends of the NRA Event.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  14. PANDEMIC

Thanks for the input!

And a Henry NRA Commemorative 22 cal. you say you have. Hmm... Sounds like an interesting and unique rifle to own. Very nice!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Rifling82 likes this.
  15. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I thought the Henry lever action was a copy of the Winchester 9422 that was capable of chambering .22 Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles.
    Why should it have issue with plastic snap caps?

Id measure the snap cap.
    They are ment to close the bolt on and drop the firing pin.
    Most likely a snap cap is not demensioned like .22 LR rimfire dummy rounds.
    Same size as factory ammunition
    CNC-machined from solid, hard anodized aluminum
    Can be loaded into a magazine just like real ammo.
    Precisely dimensioned for function testing and shooter training. These .22 LR Rimfire dummy rounds are not snap caps, but rather precisely dimensioned, functional dummies.

I picked up a 12 pack of the blue dummies, they recomend not dryfiring on the Aluminum dummy.
    Which is fine w me, I use some drywall anchors that fit the .22 chamber, they work pretty good as a snap cap.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-6-Pack-Precision-Rounds-Proving/dp/B0014VVHT2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Rifling82 likes this.
  16. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It is actually a copy of the Ithaca Model 49-R

17. film495

film495 Active Member

I have a pump action .22 that was jamming once in a while. When cleaning it I noticed the Q-Tip I used to push into the lifter got all caught up and pulled the tip of the q tip apart. Upon closer inspection the lifter had a tiny little chip out of it that was sharp and was generally very rough. I guessed the round was not making it all the way into the lifter all the time because of this. I took a used shell and put some fine steel wool over it and just worked it in and out of the lifter to smooth it out a little. I did this and stretched the magazine spring a little to add more pressure to the loading round. It was 70 years old so figured is had weakened a tad. Once I did this it I have not had it jam again. For whatever reason, plastic snap caps will jam in this still and I've noticed after they are cycled a few times, they all have a slight bend to them which I think causes them to end up jamming. The hammer also leaves a little indent on the back of the plastic snap cap which makes it stick in the tube a little because it is now not the same exact diameter.

18. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you need to replace a few springs. Stretching springs, especially weakened springs, will only last for a short time, when they get weak, it's time to replace them.
    Consider Wolff Gun Springs, theirs are 10% stronger than factory.