.22lr for a 14 year old!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by kel3028, Oct 31, 2010.

1. kel3028

kel3028 New Member

Hey guys, I have been shooting what seems like forever and I might say im a farely good shooter. I recently just got my first job so im looking at spending some of my hard earned money.

I would like to no is it worth me importing a rifle and socpe.
    Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, was the rifle because i like the synthetic stock as its more durable than wood considering im a kid still. ($200)
    and the scope:
    NcSTAR Illuminated Rifle Scope - 3-9x40E Rubber Coated Scope, i like this because its farely good price at only $65 and rubber coated, again i can bang it around and it will last a while .

i wanted this to plink, hunt small stuff, and shoot from a bench to prove to dad and uncles i can shoot properly, thats 100 metre's.

Thanks any comment would be apreciated.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Savage does make a decent rifle. So does Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, and remington USED to. In general a bolt action is a good first rifle. You will be more prone to concentrate on marksmanship as opposed to bangbangbangbangbang.

The illuminated scope, wellllllll........... rare that you would actually NEED the illumination- injstead look for the brighest scope with the most clarity, and ability to HOLD a setting. Rubber coated or not, banging any scope is a good way to lose zero.

You might also look around at the USED rifles at local shops- there can be some very good bargains out there.

I DO applaud you working for, and earning your first rifle. Enjoy, and shoot safe. DO get some muffs and glasses. You can hit Harbor Freight for some very inexpensive ones.

3. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Hey mate, sorry but you won't be able to import the rifle over here by yourself. You'll have to go to a licenced dealer and order it through them. The Savage rifles can be bought in a package deal I believe, which will be pretty good value, but I doubt you'll find a new rifle anywhere for $200.. Like c3 said though, see if you can find a used rifle in good condition, maybe your dad and uncles can help you out by taking you to some gun shops...

Where on the GC are you? Sporty's warehouse in Bundall has good prices..

4. kel3028

kel3028 New Member

5. kel3028

kel3028 New Member

!

I have a muzzloader my uncle had imported from america and the savage i wanted to buy was
    Savage MKIIF Rimfire Rifle 26700, 22 Long Rifle, 20.75", Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish,

6. kel3028

kel3028 New Member

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Savage makes a great rifle. I had a .17HMR from them and thought it was excellent. Traded it in on something I shoot more however.

8. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

The Savage your talking about sells for $200 on the dot ! That's the same rifle I almost bought in Delaware, it's a nice rifle. Bolt action, stainless steel with synthetic stocks.
    The one the store had though had a choppy, stiff bolt, so I opted for the Ruger 10/22 for $239 ! Both rifle's were new by the way . Folks tend to forget that a basic 22 rifle is reletively cheap. The pricier ones would be the Henry Golden Boy and the Marlin model 39 {If you could find one} their in the mid 4's$ usually. A bolt is a great rifle to start with and it's also the most accurate. Another good choice is a Falling Block but these are single shot and pretty pricey compared to a good bolt but accurate as all hell ! The Savage that comes with the scope is about $40 more, go for it !

9. AusLach

AusLach New Member

He's not going to find a new bolt action Savage in Australia for under $600 dollars, I can guarantee you... And a 14 year old is never going to get his hands on a semi-automatic anything.. America and Australia have very different gun laws and prices.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What the heck ever happened to Australia producing some of the world's best riflemen? :confused::confused::confused:

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Oh don't get me wrong we are.. We not only hit our target; but we kill it then dress inappropriately at it's funeral :p:D

The prices here for everything gun-related suck, this only adds to the reasons why Zhuk and I get so jealous of you guys..

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought my wife a MKII FV in 17M2 and my oldest grandson a MKII FVT. Both had the plastic stocks and the drop is wrong for a scope or the target sights. I replaced the stock on my wifes rifle and I need to get my hands on the boys rifle to do his stock. Meanwhile his stock has an add on cheek piece. The savage rifles are very accurate. Boyd's makes stocks for the Savage MKII/93E that are reasonable. I bought unfinished as I had to shorten the stock for my wife. Right now the BSA 4x16x40 AO scope is avaliable from SWFA for $50+ship and the Sweet 22 for $40+ ship. Changing the stock requires a new trigger guard and screws available from savage. You could use an add on cheek piece or you could just order a MKII BVT and be done with it. The 17M2 or the target confiuration was not available in the BVT. With the expensive target ammo the BVT will shoot under 1/4" at 50 yds. That is not to say the shooter can, at least not this shooter anymore. Most scopes for 22LR are parallaxed at 50 yds or have an adjustable objective lens. Most rifle scopes are parallaxed at 100 yds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  13. ET1

ET1 New Member

I bought a Marlin 780 (Western Auto Revelation) in 1966 for $39 when I was 12 years old. It has been a wonderful rifle. I've shot thousands of rounds through it over the years with no problems at all.

14. kel3028

kel3028 New Member

ok

ok (so my uncle tells me) after all the mumbo jumbo to import it would cost to much to be worth getting. so now after the past montrh or so ive managed to get nearly $800 throo work and odd jobs around the street. so im looking into buying a savage edge .223 (second hand) in excellent condition for $300. and the only thing wrong with it i could find was a small scratch under the barrel at the forend of the stock. :D