.22lr fired in a .17, need possible problem info

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gizord1, May 7, 2013.

1. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Before I begin:
    I DID NOT FIRE A .22 IN A .17!!!

If you accuse me of doing so in the comments, I will proceed to call you an idiot for not reading the original post.

Anyways, my uncle has a .17 HMR rifle, nice gun, looks great, shoots fine, blah blah blah. So recently, he let someone borrow it. They apparently mistook it as a .22, and chambered and FIRED a .22lr in it. It didn't explode, the bullet was badly disfigured, and didn't make it out the barrel. He managed to get the bullet out the barrel, but I figured he should take it to a gunsmith and have the head spacing, chamber, and integrity CAREFULLY checked. Anything else that he should have looked at?

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Magnaflux the chamber and barrel.

PS: I can't believe you did that Gizord1 -- I'd have thought you'd be more careful knowing you!

Last edited: May 7, 2013

3. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

To check for cracks and chips?

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't know about it cracking anything but that's GOT to be a nasty lead foul.

I'd get it checked over to make sure there is no bbl damage to be safe then I'd smack the hell out of the person that did it...Again!

5. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Oh hahaha.

Idgit. :3

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

YES to check for cracks!

Personally, you'd be buying me a new gun (maybe just barrel and possibly a bolt) and I'd destroy the one you fired the 30% bigger bullet through. Still can't believe you did that... Oh Gizord!

7. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

*sarcasm*
    yeah, I thought it said .77, so I figured, hey that sounds bigger than .22, I'll put one of those in it!

8. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Thats is so bizarre. I've never even heard of a two way conversation about a rifle that didn't include "what caliber?" Weird.

9. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

That's what I asked when I first heard about it.
    Maybe it was an honest mistake or a stupid one.

10. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I doubt that there is any damage to the gun but it would not hurt to have it looked at by a "professional".

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

It was probably both. With one exception I'm confident no-one here would actually make that kind of mistake. I'm really glad no-one got hurt. Let's just keep it that way.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Was this some tube mag rifle? I'm still just trying to figure out how they got there form here. I mean if it was a detachable mag wouldn't it look really weird loading a 22LR in a 17HMR?

I'm also pondering how no one discussed the caliber as well. I mean..for me I see this as...
    "Hey DJ...Can I borrow a rifle? I have a pesky varmint getting in my stuff".
    "Sure! I have a 17HMR that would get the job done fast!"
    "A 17HMR? I was thinking about a 22".
    "Well I got a 22 if that's what you want, but the 17 might add a little range in you need it."
    "OK then..Hook me up wit that 17 cat daddy!"
    "Here you go..I bet you really like this 17HMR"

....Just sayin. But still if someone let me borrow a rifle I think I"d ask what ammo it liked best. You know, just to make sure I get it done in a hurry and not have to miss or not cycle right and have to make up all kinds of new swear words..

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ron White said "You can't fix stupid".

The .22 bullet is soft lead. Unlikely to have bore damage, but lock up on bolt could be compromised, along with damage to bolt itself. Make sure there are no stray bits of brass sticking to the chamber walls. I would simply take it to a good smith, explain what happened, get him to check it thoroughly.

Then go get a 3 iron and whale the bejesus out of the nimrod that did that.

14. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I'd use a 7 iron on that lay of stupid. But hey, I never was one to listen to experts

15. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

It's a detachable mag. It happened at his hunting camp, so I think he had the rifle already there.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I am surprised you could chamber and fire a .222 bullet in a .177 chamber? I think it is more likely that there was a barrel obstruction. I would slowly push a very tight patch through the barrel. If the bore is damaged you will feel a loose spot. The extractor ports are weak spots on the bolt face. Usually with that kind of pressure they will be damaged.:)

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Bore scope to ensure there was no ring that ended up being flame cut into the chamber or bore that might allow shells to stick.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

...wouldn't it look really weird loading a 22LR in a 17HMR?

Only if you listened to the owner and read the barrel, owner's manual, etc., and were very observant. The .17 is a necked-down .22 Mag...

The gun being made for a little magnum, maybe it's fine having just been a .22 LR, but, I'm very cautious when it comes to safety.

Know what really looks weird to me!? The spelling of "weird." It should be "w-i-e-rd."

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

you mean if you're wired you're weird? :p

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ahhhhhh...........!
    :-o