22lr dedicated AR build

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by dwmiller, Jun 2, 2014.

1. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Well the bug bit me and I'm starting another build. This time an ultralight AR in 22lr. I know that there are already prebuilt 22 AR's I could buy, but thats not the point. I'm building outside of my comfort zone in quite a few ways. No 10+ lb varmit rifles, limited budget, iron sights. Only good thing is no time frame. Purely a personal project, no delivery dates....

First off I've bought an ATI Omni gen 3 plastic lower. I know, sacrilege!! But its all right, its getting a plastic upper also and a carbon fiber tension barrel. If anyone has an old carbon 15 upper ill take it off your hands and give it a good home..

The goal is 4lbs or less with a loaded 25 rd mag. Think lightweight plastic fantastic squirrel slayer, easy to carry for these ageing bones this winter, and accurate enough to fill the crockpot with squirrel. All steel parts are going to be stainless for easy cleanup, and extreme weather resistance. Using as many parts as possible out of my parts drawer is an added bonus...;)

Lower below is the ATI omni with a Rock River Arms parts kit in it. No luck on stainless lower parts, so I'll just have to keep it dripping oil. I finished the build last night. Nice thing was, stripped lower $59.80 out the door at my local gun shop, and it came with a 30rd 223 pmag(never have too many)!!! RR lower parts kit was $52.45 after uncle took his cut. Stock, grip and buffer tube assembly are leftovers from my parts drawer. No need for a buffer, just the stock spring. So complete lower $112.25 after taxes. Beat that price if you can!! Weight is(insert weight).

(Insert pic)

Right now its wearing an old set of magpul MOE OD green furniture. I used this as an excuse to upgrade my carbine and parked the old set here for now. I plan on changing this for something lighter after function testing as MOE is pretty heavy for what I'm after on this build. Maybe ACE skeletal stock, maybe Tacom carbon fiber???....

THE BUILD: I like the little set screws that ATI uses to keep the hammer and trigger pins from rotating in the plastic reciever. Just make sure to get the right screwdriver head so you don't mar them. Would be better if they were hex headed.

Nicely machined aluminum insert for the buffer tube support and rear takedown pin, as well as good reinforcements of the stress points. Went together with no problems. Looks like ATI's current gen lower has most of the bugs worked out.

The stock trigger is AR rough and milspec heavy(7.8 lbs) but I'll take care of that with a set of 3.5 lbs springs and a little careful stoning. Everything else on the parts kit fit and functioned right from the start.

NEXT STEP: Currently I'm planning on a carbon free float tube of some type. Maybe someone else has a few suggestions. I've looked at the taccom small diameter tube but I'm really thinking of a shorter handguard. I'd hate to pay that much just to cut it down. Maybe I'll use a carbon fiber carbine FF tube and add a poly continuous top rail...;)

Taccom's carbon fiber 17" barrel with the threading is the next part to get ordered. It comes with a collar to adapt the 22 conversion kit I got to their barrel at no additional cost. I also need to order the tensioner plug that fits in the buffer tube.

http://www.taccom3g.com/site/a9e2c1...fault?url=http://taccom3g.com/ULW_BARREL.html

PARTS: I have the Stainless Steel 22lr bolt group on order from PSA. It comes with a brick of 22lr and a 25 rd, gen 2, poly lip, Black Dog mag. Pretty good deal for less than most shops list the conversion alone! $149.99 on sale now...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/22lr-conversion-combo-kit.html

Along with the CMMG antijam charging handle for $20.49. According to the research I did this handle has a small slot that prevents a 22 case from getting stuck in the handle and jamming up the works. Cheap insurance...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...nti-jam-charging-handle-for-22lr-22ba55a.html

Well thats where the project stands right now. More updates as parts come in.....

PS sorry bout the long edit. Doing this from my phone out on the road.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. BRL

BRL New Member

Sounds like a fun project. :)

I'll be interested in a range report when you get it all together.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

It would be great if you could Shoot it in a Match, like the Rimfire Steel Challenge...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. dwmiller

I really hadn't planned on using this one as a match rifle. I already shoot benchrest, and varmit hunt, as well as trap, skeet and sporting clays. I have 4 10/22's already... Not that I rule it out entirely, just I already have a number of dedicated guns for sport shooting.

I'll consider shooting competition with it, but I'm not building to any specific set of rules on this one. And I'm not going to min/maxing any one aspect of the gun...;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Whatever you use it for, you're going to have a ball with it. :)

I built one myself some time ago on a home-made lower and everybody loves shooting it. Just a standard (full weight) M4 clone though.

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

i'm looking more like an AR 22 pistol version of the Ruger Charger(since you can't find them anymore, and they will only accept the standard 10 Rd. Rotary Mag. AFAIK. Mossberg makes one, And I love their products Dearly(esp. My SA-20 & 702) but the 715P has a "stiff" mag release issue. At SHOT,.I just figured it was because everyone and their uncle John was handling it(even Linda Powell, their head of PR, but who happens to be a dedicated shooter, had trouble disengaging the Magazine). My Range shop bought 3, 2 to sell and one for rentals,..I rent it every time I go(ok,..twice since they got it in) and it just will not release a mag. quickly. My 702,..fine with the Std. 10 Rd. mags.....but very Stiff with the 25 rd. mags,...it's just something with that Mag. well,...I've been working it quite a bit in my free time,..doing mag swaps,..(ok,..stupid sexist comment approaching please accept my apology in advance....) Like most men,..It's great going in,...but sadly, coming out is a different story.....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. dwmiller

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

That sounds like not only a fun, but sweet build.

9. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

10. dwmiller

Was looking at stocks today. Outside the box, comes to mind in what I'm after. Lightweight, decent ergonomics and lastly price. Here is the short list so far let me know what you'll think....

http://riflestocks.com/store/product36.html

http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Battlelink-stocks/BATTLELINK-Utility-Stock_5

http://www.taccom3g.com/site/a9e2c1...t?url=http://taccom3g.com/ULW_BUTT_STOCK.html

Kind of leaning toward the battlelink minimalist. Its adjustable for length of pull. The Ace is running #2 since it side folds. Nice thing about a 22, the buffer tube isnt needed as functional. I may buy the side folder hardware from Ace and put a minimalist on it for the best of both worlds.

Let me know what y'all think....:D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  11. dwmiller

UPicture updates

The sand color lower is the Omni. The billet pistol lower is another of mine for comparison. Weight on the omni is 1lbs 7 oz. , weight of pistol is 1 lbs 13 oz. This is with a buffer in the omni that it won't have in the final build. Weight without buffer is only 1 lbs 4 oz!

Sand is the base color for a three color camo scheme. So all the plastic and metal is getting shot in it. All paintwork is duracoat, shot by yours truely. I refuse to paint over the carbon fiber though! Personal tastes, but I like it just the way it is. Color fill on the omni logo is white, and will need touched up again as more camo layers are added.... :D

Trigger weight came down to 4 lbs with a half hour of work with diamond hones, and is now smooth. I feel pretty good about the way the build is going so far.

I know I'm missing the castle nut. But if I go with the side fold setup its built onto the mechanism. The magpul single point is also still up in the air. It was in the parts drawer, and free is always good, just don't know if it will work with the side folder arrangment.. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  12. dwmiller

Original shot of omni in magpul moe furniture, before paint. For some reason I can't edit it into the original post so here it is as promised.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  13. dwmiller

Just got off the phone with customer support at PSA. Wrong zip on the order. They were 100% professional about it. No blame throwing, probably my fault anyway, just get it going to correct address. Kudo's to the PSA staff. Nice people to deal with...:D

14. dwmiller

Well I received half of my PSA order this weekend. Nope none of the parts for this build, but I'm getting ahead on the 300 blackout pistol rebuild. The "other" parts are shipping from PSA's other warehouse. This included my 22 conversion kit, black dog mag and all the 22 ammo...... :eek:

I did get the order placed for my Taccom barrel. I ordered it threaded 1/2-28 so I'm looking for the right comp for this build. Also placed the order for the folding stock hardware. Pics when the parts come in.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  15. uanda

uanda New Member

how about: "If we even THINK you're trying to confiscate guns, we'll come get YOU FIRST. We know where you work, what you drive, what clothes you wear".

16. dwmiller

?!? I think you miss posted to the wrong topic, even though I agree with the sentiment... :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  17. dwmiller

Update: My folding stock adapter came in this weekend while i was home. So here goes a mini-build on the side folder and what I had to do to make it work the way I wanted...:rolleyes:

Here is the side folder that I got from http://usmachinegun.com/

If you are going to order one make sure you get the one that screws into an AR lower and has AR buffer tube threads. They have a bunch of others to fit other guns....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  18. dwmiller

Mechanism, It didn't work with my original Magpul eggplate so a quick trip through my parts drawer and this cheap import ambi one seems to work well. Index notch had to be removed to make it fold to the right side like I wanted. The adapter only has one slot cut, and if you use it the stock folds to the left side of the receiver. So a couple minutes with a dremel tool and a sanding drum did the job and now I can set up a right side folder....

Attached Files:

19. dwmiller

Egg plate attached to the folder mechanism. And the mechanism and buffer tube attached to the lower. Screw mechanism into the lower and level so it folds squarely. Also reverse the castle nut so its easier to get the AR Wrench onto the castle nut. I fixed it in position with a shot of blue locktight since I can't stake it onto the plastic receiver this way. The buffer tube screws in and is retained by an allen lock bolt.

Attached Files: